Notices

Regulating sleep in the first week

Old 06-27-2016, 04:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Regulating sleep in the first week

Hi

Just wondered if anyone had any issues regulating their sleep in the first week?

Tonight is my first official 24hrs of not drinking - although the previous day I had one glass of wine (just to stop the tremors and sweats as I was on a real bender before). So since Saturday I've basically been in bed the whole time, but got up at 10am today, cleaned the house and did laundry and sat down on the computer and currently watching TV tonight. It's gone midnight and I still don't feel tired. I have no booze in the house and no desire to have any, but it's just doing something with my time I guess.

I just don't want my sleep schedule to get too messed up really as I'd like to go to a group tomorrow afternoon. Also signed up to start mental health football with a beginners team next week, just as a new hobby.

Any advice always welcome
Old 06-27-2016, 04:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Drinking or not, I have found that supplements such as melatonin have proved to be helpful for me and many other people I know. Just one suggestion.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I wouldn't sleep at all for about 3-4 days after a bender. It's normal and part of the withdrawal process.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Melatonin is a hormone - just to be the "other" voice: I had horrible nightmares on Melatonin, and I've heard that from other people too.

It took me two or three weeks before I regularly slept through the night. I only used SleepyTime tea (chamomile/mint blend) or some hot chocolate. I slept when I could...some days that was three hours, some days it was 12.

It will pass. I treated myself like I was recovering from a serious illness, because I was.

Good news is that there is always someone here or something to read 24/7.

Keep coming back, reading and posting helps a lot.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It is hell for the first for days. For me personally day 1 was a living hell, insane anxiety, pounding chest, shakes, sweating like crazy, I got about an hour of sleep that night tops. Day 2 was better, kept being hydrated, but was still having the night sweats and nightmares as well. Day 3 I was finally able to start eating normal again, feeling even better, Skip now to day 5 and I was finally able to have a good nights sleep, and woke up with no hangover or shame, and it was a wonderful feeling. Stay strong, it is very hard, but we've all got it in us to make it.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's very common. I didn't take anything to help, and things settled down pretty well after a week. On that basis, I'd always recommend toughing it out if you can.

If not, see your Dr - what may have worked for others may not work or even be suitable for you.

D
Old 06-27-2016, 05:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I treated myself like I was recovering from a serious illness, because I was.)
Me too! I keep reminding myself of this. As far as sleep, I had trouble the first few nights (night sweats, insomnia) but it has gotten better.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I take melatonin. It helps me sleep but it's true that it makes for vivid dreams and sometimes nightmares. Nothing worse though than not sleeping!
Old 06-28-2016, 12:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm a year and a half down the track and my sleep still sucks lol
Old 06-28-2016, 02:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks guys - eventually I got to sleep at like 5:30am, managed a few hours. Going to an acupuncture session today as that's been recommended to me through a Clearways programme, so we'll see. Anything is worth a shot right? Oh well - day 1 is done, so now it's day 2. Onwards and upwards!
Old 06-28-2016, 02:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

This might help I also find reading an hour before bed helps

https://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-to...thy-sleep-tips
Old 06-28-2016, 07:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I didn't sleep more than a couple of hours the first few nights.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I also take Melantonin, but as others have posted the dreams can be bizarre and scary sometimes. It does work though for sleep.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm not a doctor but my doctor gives me clonozapem to deal with withdrawals for the first week.

It's the only thing that will keep me sane and able to go to work and live my daily life.

Works like an absolute charm for relaxing and symptoms etc.

Although many people have mixed reviews on using this. I couldn't do it without.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

P.S. - day two for me girly! Yay - we made it through the toughest day!
Old 06-28-2016, 08:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

My sleep was definitely ruined the first week, and only now is beginning to get back to some semblance of normal (Day 9). I would go to bed early, but then wake up at 2:30, 3, 3:30, etc., anxious, mind racing and drenched in sweat. I was a zombie for the entire week.

But, it's getting better. Even though I still wake up a few times a night, I am able to fall back to sleep, whereas before the anxiety and racing thoughts would pretty much spell the end. Hang in there, airy. When you get that first good night's sleep, you will feel like a million bucks, and you will know that you EARNED it!
Old 06-28-2016, 08:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Totally feel like putting my pyjamas on after that first acupuncture session.... I'm wiped!
Old 06-28-2016, 08:21 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

yep...... and for the first year.... or two.