Notices

I've never felt so agitated in my life!!!

Old 06-26-2016, 10:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I've never felt so agitated in my life!!!

I feel so agitated and annoyed with everything in my life I don't know how to get over this feeling. It's like I don't want ANYONE talking to me or bothering me. Everything bugs the living **** out of. In the past working out has given me more energy and brought my mood up but now I seriously feel like I'm carrying 300 lbs of weight on my shoulders when I do anything. Nothing seems to be helping me with this feeling. I try to keep myself very busy but at night it is worse. I never seem to be able to get past this because it seems to last forever and then I give up. Please... I need some advice on how to keep going when this feeling is so bad. I feel almost like I'm going crazy. I haven't drank in 7 days. Please let me know if you guys have felt like this and when it started to get better.

I haven't ever been a daily drinker. Just a binge drinker that would drink once or twice per week until I would pass out. That would be at least 15+ drinks each time.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi Ryry

It's not easy quitting, but it will get better I promise.

There a lot of support here - why not commit to posting here regularly for a while - we can help you through those hard first weeks

D
Old 06-26-2016, 10:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your symptoms and feelings sound very "normal" for one week sober, but if you have concerns check with your doctor. The agitation and desire to slow it down with alcohol lasted quite a few months for me, peaking in the first few weeks. You've done most of the very hardest days, and you never have to do them again ☺ Physical movement, as you've discovered, helps. At night I tried the radio, or facebook, or a show because I had no concentration for a book or movie. Have you had insomnia yet? Maybe you won't, but it's common at first too, and really annoying. Lots of in the middle of the night SR reading and chatting. It seems that someone is always awake!

The symptoms of alcohol poisoning slowly faded for me. Some people experience dramatic improvement when they get sober. You sound like you're handling early recovery well, and I wish you every success. Welcome to SR.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by ryry77 View Post
I haven't ever been a daily drinker. Just a binge drinker that would drink once or twice per week until I would pass out. That would be at least 15+ drinks each time.
Hi ryry, that was me too. I "only" drank on weekends, but when I did, just hand me the beer and get out of my way. Saying that we only drank on weekends is our way of making our problem seem small.

Alcoholism has nothing to do with the frequency of drinking, or even how much. It has to do with what alcohol does to us when we drink.

You're only one week in so cut yourself some slack. Here's a few important questions.

Have you truly accepted that you can't drink? The more you accept it the better it gets. The less you accept it the more the feelings of anger and irritability will stick with you. This is because you're not truly working to stay sober, you're hanging on and waiting to find the next excuse to drink whether you realize it or not.

What are you actively doing for recovery? The less you're doing the more that last sentence in the above rings true.

There's tons of information on this board. I know you've said that AA doesn't work for you. There are many programs available (some listed below)

LifeRing-Smart-SOS, CBT, AVRT, Problem Solving, Self Management, Self-Empowerment, Rational Thinking, Positive Lifestyle Changes, Self Assessment, Commitment and Follow-Through, Self-Acceptance, Motives and Goals, Peer Support.

Here's a link to the area:

Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Check out some of the programs. Don't try to do this on your own, there's help on this board but you have to want it and you have to want to do the work.

The more work you do the less agitated and annoyed you'll feel.

You've got this, you just have to take the first step.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi ryry77,
Sounds about normal to me also....
Alcohol causes a lot of damage to the brain, and it takes some time to heal.....
Give yourself time, and work through it. You will get better, and life will get better. You can't even imagine how much better things will get!!!

It is so worth the struggle.
Don't give in to your AV, you are stronger.....You can do this!
Old 06-27-2016, 05:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I love everyone's advice so far. Even if you are not a daily drinker, weekend drinking to me is just as bad because it sets you up for a tough Monday and that dread of the week to come...seems impossible. That's is why many drinkers miss Mondays and then feel the guilt, shame, and embarrassment of it, if only to ourselves.

You sound overwhelmed, so I would say just calm the noise and focus on ONE thing that YOU have control over. Dee's advice was great--maybe just reading here everyday and checking in with us and eventually being able to share so we can help as you have done today.

High irritation is VERY common at just one week. (Not to minimalize one week, that is GREAT!!) But you are not alone. Everything pissed me off too....

There are very common experiences that we all share---it's almost creepy, but a "good" kind of creepy in that you will not feel so alone. I have not had ONE thing that I have done or felt that I have not throughout my YEARS on SR (and I'm on day 119 now), that I have not seen others experience the EXACT same thing.....many folks on here virtually finish my sentences.

Most of all be good to you---the self-flagellation won't help. Do a couple of seemingly trivial things for yourself. If you are like me, you might not have done that for a while.........thanks for your post. It helped me today!!
Lee
Old 06-27-2016, 05:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It takes more time than 1 week. For me, my level of serenity is directly proportionate to my level of acceptance. When I've truly removed drinking as an option, I'm generally more at peace.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've been sober for about a month, and I am RIGHT there with you! I don't even want to drink, I just want to stuff everyone in the trunk of my car so they stop bothering me!!! LOL.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

It will get better