Notices

I feel awful

Old 09-27-2004, 01:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I feel awful

It's day 4 and I feel wretched. The last 3 days weren't so bad, but now I feel like I've been hit by a truck. I don't know if it's alcohol withdrawal and my body's trying to heal itself or what. I'm extremely run-down, weak, and feeling a little sick to my stomach. How long does it take alcohol to get out of your system and these darn symptoms to go away? I don't want a drink at all--the thought of drinking anything makes me feel like puking. Seriously. But I feel completely miserable. There's a young people's meeting tonight at 6:30 that I really want to go to, but I feel so sick. What do I do?
Old 09-27-2004, 02:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ben's Papa

Taking B complex vitamins helped me a lot.That and a lot of prayer.God is always our greatest resource.Hang in there!
Old 09-27-2004, 02:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

Every body handles detox differently. I found with myself, I would feel my worst at day 3 and detox could last up to 10 days. There are many factors that determine how your body readjusts. Plenty of rest and liquids, light foods and treating yourself with tender loving care is useful in getting through the rough days. Most importantly, it takes time. Hang in there, you can do it. Best of luck to you...

LeAnne
Old 09-27-2004, 03:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hang in there

You're well on your way to the worst being over with. Go to the meeting if you can.

Matt
Old 09-27-2004, 03:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Step in the name of LOVE

It takes a couple of days for the physical effects to wear off, but keep yourself aware of all of your feelings. Drink alot of gatorade and get some excersize. You'll feel better soon. Hang in there....it WILL get better.
Keep posting.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kim
Stop this ride I wanna get off

When I quit for my couple of months I didn't feel physically wretched...mine was emotional wretchedness (is that a word? lol). I was a wreck...crying all the time, angry, resentful. I just didn't understand why I couldn't drink like "normal" people. I only wish I could practice what everyone else here preaches...go to meetings. Find others that are going through the same thing. Even if meetings aren't your thing, find a counselor that you can talk to one on one. That helped me a lot. This site is a great thing as well. We have each other.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

First things First,
Get plenty of rest and drink a lot of fluids. You will start feeling better very soon!
Old 09-27-2004, 06:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

It WILL get better. Hang in there. It's probably too late now, but I would highly suggest getting to the meeting. If you can go while you are feeling awful, you will be much more likely to go when you are feeling good.

Congratulations on Day 4!!!!

Hugs--
Old 09-27-2004, 08:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, guess what? I went to the meeting! I still didn't feel any better, but I really wanted to go, so I sucked it up and went. It turns out it was an anniversary meeting and they had a really great lead. I was happy I went.
Afterward, I came home, got something to eat, drank some water, and called my mom. She's an active alcoholic, and when I told her I was back in AA, she said she wanted to come with me to my meetings. Believe it or not, she's a support to me. She is jealous of my commitment, but is also very happy for me. When she knows I'm clean, she doesn't pressure me to drink. But anyway, I'm still very tired, but I laid on the couch much of the night, reading and watching tv, so I'm feeling a little better. I think eating helped too. I just can't wait for detox to be over!
Old 09-27-2004, 08:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Chy

Good for you! I know that for me when I was going into the later part of my first week and into the 2nd and 3rd I was extremly tired! The vitamins helped a bunch. Hang in there, and I hope mom goes with you!
Old 09-28-2004, 05:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's great Lil! Keep staying strong and hanging in there.

big hugs!
Nene
Old 09-28-2004, 05:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The worst is just about over. Yes go to the meeting. Even if you dont feel like it. Once your there I promise you will feel better. It worked for me!
Old 09-30-2004, 12:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I choose to live

Water also might help ...Try to drink a lot of water...
Old 09-30-2004, 12:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It's good to hear that you went to a meeting. Meetings are my medicine. It is there that I have found new friends, and new things to do. You will start feeling better physically soon. Keep your head up and keep posting.

Sherry
Old 09-30-2004, 03:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

For some reason, today I've had a low fever--99.5-100.0. I'm not sure why, but I guess it's still part of withdrawal. The tiredness is still there, but I have started to feel a little better yesterday, and today. I hope the worst is over!