Notices

All change in an instant.....

Old 06-25-2016, 11:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

All change in an instant.....

What happened to me I had been clean for over 3 years. I went from not wanting or even having an urge for heroin to instantly failing to refuse it in a split second. I took it then consumed by guilt lied/denied to my partner of 5 months (who knew straight away) which ended up hurting her to a degree I could not comprehend as she has been a co dependent for years with previous partners, and she warned me how much it would devastate her. This led to a series of really bad decisions over the next 24 hours which included blame, loathing and self hatred for my actions which I can't turn back the clock on. I can't work out how I got it so wrong and now feel like all my hard work was for nothing. Am I alone here ?.....
Old 06-25-2016, 11:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So scary how addiction can change our lives in a second. It's difficult to feel this right now, when you're in the middle of it, but the spiral absolutely doesn't have to continue going downward. You definitely can and should stop now and re-commit to being clean. Please do. You are not alone, there will always be someone here to support you through this.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've been an addict 20 years now, I haven't used a site like this your my first reply has given me strength and hope, thank you....
Old 06-25-2016, 11:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Adzee View Post
I've been an addict 20 years now, I haven't used a site like this your my first reply has given me strength and hope, thank you....
Anytime. What has been working for you in the past 3 years?
Old 06-25-2016, 12:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I spent 2 yrs in prison and 1 and half with turning point, counselling and family support....
Old 06-25-2016, 12:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Time to turn to that counseling and family support again... I hope you don't have any more heroin around, and if you do, dump it. Are there any NA groups you can attend? What are you thinking of doing for the rest of the day and the weekend?
Old 06-25-2016, 12:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Lots of talking with my girlfriend and my family, my sister just gave birth which didn't help my guilt. I need to go back to the drawing board but I won't score again. Thanks again...
Old 06-25-2016, 12:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've been where she has been. Trust is shattered and takes so long to rebuild. The best thing that you can do is get RIGHT back on the horse. Wade through the guilt and shame as it comes. Be proactive in fighting this. Most of all, be honest with her.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Adzee
Old 06-25-2016, 03:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Adzee

I think most of us can relate to being blindsided and making that decision to use again without any apparent resistance.

I definitely do not think that negates your clean time, or the things you accomplished or learned in that time.

It's just a reminder (a painful one) that we can never rest on our laurels too much.

I'm an alcoholic. As much as I'd like to say I'm cured I know I'm not, and I have to be vigilant.

Most of the time that vigilance is low key, but If I find myself with a using opportunity, I've thought about the various options I have in that moment, and so far it's served me well.

I really recommend a recovery plan

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

Remember you're not a bad person - just a good person with a problem

D
Old 06-25-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the links you sent me on recovery plans. I never dreamed I would be caught off guard, how wrong I was, take it steady....
Old 06-25-2016, 03:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good luck Adzee.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It's good to know people care out there, thanks for the support...
Old 06-25-2016, 04:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

All your hard work - staying clean for 3 years - was not for nothing.
It's the nature of the beast - in addiction, it's so easy to lose good things..be it relationships, a job, money, health...self respect, confidence...
I know that so well.
And us along with our clean/sober loved ones...magnify the bad things that happen in addiction, and minimize the good things (you were sober for 3 years).
Just keep trudging along, focus on the positives, time heals.
That's exactly what i'm telling myself too.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Adzee, you'll find lots of support on here. Glad you found us. You've been clean before, you can do it again.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi, the trust that has been lost will take time and work to rebuild.
If you are both willing I hope you can turn this around.

You don't have to let this slip become a full blown relapse...look into support. All sorts of support, get back on track...it is so worth it.

You don't need the heroin; being a heroin addict is hard work full of destruction and misery all to come to a final place, if alive, and not incarcerated to nothing more than maintenance, maintenance to feel normal and not sick...I wish you the best, take care..