woah...neighbour just had a massive dig

Old 06-25-2016, 06:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

woah...neighbour just had a massive dig

Im actually sat here crying and know i should just get a grip. Just had what i though was going to be a normal light hearted debate with my neighbour about yesterday's referendum. We get on well, similar sense of humour. Ive been off from work for a year when i had a massive meltdown and relapse last year, nearly lost everything. Im now in a better place, starting a new job in a few weeks, joint access with my son. Its been hard work mentally and am finally 6 months without relapse.

Anyway he said its only the rich and lazy that wanted to remain in the EU,People will now have to work like we used to have to, you won't get to sit on your arse like you have been playing the mental health card..gutted, he knows my battle with alcohol and ive been very open about it. I usually shrug these things off. Dont want to feel sorry for myself.

Last edited by zo0378; 06-25-2016 at 06:35 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-25-2016, 06:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Argh Zo, that sucks. He wouldn't say that if he had any idea of how hard a fight it is and how few folks manage to recover.

As a depressive, I so wish mental health was a card I was playing and not the overwhelming reality I deal with daily.

This probably doesn't counteract the neighbor's dig but for what it is worth here is a sitting, electronic ovation from across the pond for the work you are doing!!
Old 06-25-2016, 06:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zo0378 View Post

Anyway he said its only the rich and lazy that wanted to remain in the EU
Well actually from what I heard the UK was sending 20 billion a year to the EU and then receiving only 10 billion back. That was not working for them. The UK system also won't work for many other countries for too much longer.

Relax as you will be proven right as more countries pull out.

Thump called this one right.

Bob
Old 06-25-2016, 06:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
Well actually from what I heard the UK was sending 20 billion a year to the EU and then receiving only 10 billion back. That was not working for them. Wouldn't work for many for long.

Relax as you will be proven right as more countries pull out.

Thump called this one right.

Bob
Right, so California, Massachusetts, and New York (along with other so-called "blue states") should pull out of the US because we pay more into the federal government than we get back? We pay for states like Alabama, West Virginia, Louisiana, Kentucky and Arkansas, if you choose to look at it that way.

Sorry but your comment was uninformed and small-minded, just like the Brexit vote.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A comparison between States -- that would be a bad comparison

Originally Posted by beeme View Post

Sorry but your comment was uninformed and small-minded, just like the Brexit vote.

A comparison between States -- that would be a bad comparison
Nothing wrong with a Country taking a vote and then doing the will of the people. Thought that is how it works? Or should work? Or use to work?

MB
Old 06-25-2016, 07:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ive just cleared the air with him, he says its just how his generation deal with stuff, says it was far less acceptable to use mental health issues to not work, it was unheard of. I just said i can be sensitive sometimes, although i appear not to be a sensitive person to him as i can usually stand my own in a debate. It just hit a nerve.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

As I understand this discussion, his comments came more from a political view point than an understanding of the struggles of addiction. You simply got caught in the crossfire.

Do you really care what he thinks?? You shouldn't. You have worked hard to change, and it's worked. Pat yourself on the back, and move on from a "neighbors" assimilation of your life in one sentence.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thing is i know i have been over sensitive, we have good banter, im suprised at myself for bursting out in tears. I wasn't expecting to, so was shocked as i try not to be massively oh poor me. I am able to laugh at myself and find this a useful tool in order for me not to feel sorry for myself, so was suprised the tears just rolled.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

He just was suprised at the tears, feels really bad. I just said its probably not just his comment, said it just hit a nerve and a build up of emotion. Anyway crying is a good tension release for me, it helps me to feel better.
Neighbour has just bought me a magazine and a Terry's Chocolate Orange..bless him ☺
Old 06-25-2016, 09:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Okay people, thank you for your opinions on European politics. This subject is not appropriate for this forum. Kindly take it to the "Cafe", or a social media site that covers this subject.

Mike
Moderator, SR