Notices

Starting over

Old 06-24-2016, 11:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting over

Hi all.Hope you are all well.Does anyone else feel overwhelmed by trying to live thier everday life sober?I have posted on the agony of anxiety and several others have too.I am finding it just so hard to feel normal doing everyday things.Even when I have something good to look forward to,like a day with one of my family it does not lift my spirits.I pretty much just go through the motions when I am with them,feeling detached.Sorry for rambling on.I am just scared of all the changes with my emotions etc.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes it can be tough, when I really reflect on the turmoil I experienced when I was actively drinking and now the sometimes challenging days but also the joyful moments now sober, not drinking definitely out weighs. I am now on three months, and as strange as it sounds I am feeling excited about life, getting fit, doing things I forgot that I loved doing. I am not saying it was easy but pushing through does bring some tremendous progress. In a way I used to numb my feelings, bad ones, but dealing with them and then moving on gives room for a lot more positive things. Welcome Jojay,
Old 06-25-2016, 12:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thankyou so much for your reply Ring.I must have been the most niave recovering alcoholic ever,untill I joined you lovely guys here at SR recently.The support we gain and give through sharing on here is priceless.I am 5weeks sober after 15 years of drinking.Will now do my chores on auto pilot.Thankyou again.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I duno about anyone else but I drank for 20 years - it took a little time for me to adjust to not drinking/

Just keep putting one foot in front of the other Jojay and stay sober - the more days you rack up the more normal things will feeI - I promise you things will work out

D
Old 06-25-2016, 01:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee.I drank for 15yrs.I am 61 now.I will get through these challenging early days,all the emotional changes,anxiety attacks etc.So glad for you guys at SR.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am really pleased you have joined us Joyjay, hugs to you.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Glad that you're here Jojay. There is a definite adjustment period involved and keep at it. There are much better days ahead!
Old 06-25-2016, 04:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations Jojay
Old 06-25-2016, 04:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was so numb for so many years I never felt any true emotions . I think once we get sober we feel for the first time since our addiction began. Now we feel deeply and are in the moment like we should have been all along.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Give yourself time. What you're feeling, or not feeling, is normal. If you drank for 15 years it could take a while to retrain, relearn.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yea, in early sobriety I just wanted to get through the day so I could go to bed, sleep and not deal with NOT drinking and check off another day sober. I was so unaccustomed to dealing with my feelings that I saw this as the easiest solution, but there really is no going around it, you have to barrel through the emotions that you haven't addressed in years due to drinking alcohol excessively as an escape from them. This is your new normal and as difficult as it is now, it will one day be a no brainer.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Jojay, its completely normal. When we quit drinking there is a void in our lives. But it is only temporary, before you know it, a wholesale change will occur. But it only happens if you stay sober long enough to let that happen. Even binging once a month will keep you fighting to fill the void. Going through the motions as you put it.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberween View Post
Yea, in early sobriety I just wanted to get through the day so I could go to bed, sleep and not deal with NOT drinking and check off another day sober. I was so unaccustomed to dealing with my feelings that I saw this as the easiest solution, but there really is no going around it, you have to barrel through the emotions that you haven't addressed in years due to drinking alcohol excessively as an escape from them. This is your new normal and as difficult as it is now, it will one day be a no brainer.
Thankyou Soberween.You have put into words exactly what is going on with me at the present.Not having self medicated with alcohol for the past 5 weeks.Truely,just the thought of drinking fills me with horror.All you guys that have been through this know that things will get better soon.many thanks for reassuring me.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Jojay, its completely normal. When we quit drinking there is a void in our lives. But it is only temporary, before you know it, a wholesale change will occur. But it only happens if you stay sober long enough to let that happen. Even binging once a month will keep you fighting to fill the void. Going through the motions as you put it.
Hi Thomas11.I will definately stay sober.You are so right about that void though,I've been filling it with thinking to much about my issues that started me drinking.I am trying to live in the present and stop dwelling on these thoughts.Many thanks for your support.