My rights

Old 06-24-2016, 09:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My rights

I've been reading as many stickies as I can lately to keep my resolve as strong as possible. The "Bill of Rights" sticky really spoke to me and I wrote out my own list to keep with me at all times. My AH has the ability to lean hard on my tendencies to feel empathy and guilt and i need to keep a reminder to myself that I am not wrong in my decisions.

Thought I'd post it here in case it helps anyone else today...

I have the right to say "enough is enough" and to choose to not live with chaos and uncertainty anymore.

I have the right to to base my decisions on your actions, not your words.

I have the right to be angry and to express my anger in a healthy manner.

I have the right to say "I don't know".

I have the right to change my mind.

I have the right to decide what is best for me as a human being, as someone who is putting her health above all else. Being an emotionally healthy woman who trusts her own decisions will never hurt my daughter and can only serve to empower her.

I have the right to decide the steps you do take are not good enough for me and my life. It's not demeaning your choices for me to choose something different.

I have the right to take care of myself and my daughter first and to put our health first.

I have the right to not feel guilty for putting myself and my daughter first.

I have the right to take as much time as I need to get healthy and all that entails, just as you have the right to take as long as you want to get sober.

I have the right to decide that I cannot achieve the health I am working towards while living under the same roof as you.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Add in "you have the right to say No". It's a complete sentence.
amy
Old 06-24-2016, 10:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Love that bill of rights.

I also needed to have all this pointed out to me. Growing up with A parents where everything is about their chaos and acting out, I didn't realise I had rights too.

The one I love best is that I don't have to know. I can say 'I don't know'. Very liberating and stops me getting dragged into all sorts of other peoples nonsense.