Notices

Positive thinking

Old 06-23-2016, 12:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Positive thinking

Hi all.Hope you are all doing well and coping.I am ok so far today.Had 3 days of anxiety attacks which started as tension headaches and each episode would last for nearly half an hour.Deep breathing got me through,but I was terrified.Sorry for going on about this.Anyone else experienced anything the same?I am 5 weeks sober now.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's actually pretty common in early recovery - I hope you'll find it gets a lot better as time goes on Jojay

Of course if you're really concerned, probably best to consult your Dr

D
Old 06-23-2016, 12:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
It's actually pretty common in early recovery - I hope you'll find it gets a lot better as time goes on Jojay

Of course if you're really concerned, probably best to consult your Dr

D
Thanks Dee.I might talk to my Dr soon.But I wont take any meds if he suggests antidepressants etc.Want to beat this current phase though.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have a lot of extensive anxiety experience unfortunately!! It's worse in early sobriety. Recognize the symptoms and try to nip it in the bud. For me sometimes even distraction like calling a friend, chores, walks, tv, whatever, can help. Try to sleep and eat well. Therapy is great, you learn strategies. Know you are not alone. Anxiety has me awake st 3am

Lilly
Old 06-23-2016, 02:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thankyou lost lilly.I am eating well and sleeping well,but wake up at 4am!Keeping fairly busy.Until last week I dreaded being at home,alone with my thoughts.Thankyou for your support.x
Old 06-23-2016, 05:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Jojay. I've had panic/anxiety attacks on and off for years and they can definitely be terrifying. A little trick a friend gave me is to count backward from 100 by 7's. You really have to think about it and it sort of breaks that feedback loop.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am just over a month sober and also dealing with anxiety. It's worst first thing in the morning. I go from being asleep to wide awake with a pounding heart in an instant. It does seem to be improving the longer I am sober. I expect a couple more months of heightened anxiety as I went through this before. Anxiety attacks are the main cause of relapse for me as even just a couple pints of beer can instantly bring me out of an anxious state
Old 06-23-2016, 12:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Been sober almost 4 months and still feel anxiety. I'm not gonna give in though. It's a feeling, which is better than nothing...if that makes any sense.

I still have some negativity in me that wants to squash the slightest bit of anxiety by drinking or drugging.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

What D said and congrats on 5 weeks
Old 06-24-2016, 10:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

This is my first, and last, educated sobriety lifestyle change.

Been there, not going back.

Sounds like you're sleeping ok, just waking up early.

At least you are waking up sober.

I use the 478 breathing technique to whined down.

Way to go. I experienced pretty much the exact same PAWS or whatever as you.

My anxiety has quelled steadily since i quit.

I now understand why folks relapse after 1 to 12 months or longer. The anxiety wears on you.

Knowing this is a huge part of my recovery. Thanks to SR.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for your help di22.yes the anxiety is pretty awful.Theres no way I will ever drink again.Not had any cravings.Will just try and count my blessings.SR is the best.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm at week 4 and I literally feel your pain The past week I have woke up with headaches not fair considering I haven't had a drop. For me it wasn't anxiety but anger about what I haven't a clue I am so joyful to be 4 weeks sober and I tried to focus on that instead of trying to behead someone. Today is much better and I am looking forward to my lovely sober weekend! Hang in there it does get better.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Gracie,

Yes...headaches for months in the am.

Like a hangover, except they go away fast.

Story time...

I figure many here were in deep addiction waters, way over our heads.

We managed our way to the surface of our addiction and began to get our footing.

We left the ocean of our addiction and dried out on the shoreline.

We will always be on the edge of the addiction shore. We have to live there. We can look at the water, but we dare not swim.

I did this to myself. While proud i am clean, i carry an inner sadness. I am so deeply happy to be free, but the addiction calls to me like a distant lost love.

I know all addicts get it.