Notices

8 Months Sober and.....blah!

Old 06-22-2016, 08:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

8 Months Sober and.....blah!

OK folks, I knew exactly who I needed to turn to for this one. Yesterday was 8 months sober! I am in much better shape, I work out 6 days a week, my anxiety and depression are more in check now, and I feel like I am a much better husband and father than I have been in about 7 years. I should feel like I am in a really good place, right? Instead, I am in a very blah mood. Is it becasue sobriety is the new norm for me now. Has the sexiness of the new girlfriend worn off? For those who have a long time sober, have you experienced this? I was thinking that maybe I need to try and volunteer and help others or something to keep this new self interesting. Or, is this jut my AV's way of trying to get me to think that sobriety is boring and I obviously got it down and can just go back to drinking? To hell with that! I know I don't want to drink, but I also know it isn't as much of a "challenge" as it was earlier and when something becomes easy for me, I believe human nature is to get easily bored with things that are easy. What do you guys think?

PS, I am not trying to un-inspire those who are just starting out or take the shine away from a sober life. I KNOW I am better off not drinking, but this just happens to be the only place I can turn to for answers to these types of questions.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

yes, rahrah, the shiny novelty wore off for me a little earlier than for you, but my deep appreciation for it never has.
to put it in terms of sexiness of new girlfriend, then...well, no, that doesn't work for me. my sobriety is like a good solid marriage, nothing boring there, and no need for revolving door sexy new girlfriends

and yes, it makes sense to me that the focus shifts after a bit of time, and turning outward to others seems natural.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Could just be a bad day if you reread your post the amount of positive stuff in it is awesome ?
Old 06-22-2016, 11:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

At 8 months sober I'm right there with ya. Yes, the novelty wears off after awhile and you're in maintenance mode. Not exactly sexy but very enduring. I like to think of it as my "new normal." And now that I'm not constantly struggling, I can focus on other areas of my life.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think I was lucky because my life had become an adrenaline-charged mess while I was drinking. I was SO happy to have a peaceful life. However, in my case depression was involved long before the drinking so I needed to be treated for that. Hopefully your blah mood will pass, but if it continues perhaps think about talking to your dr. By the way, I love your idea of getting out and doing new things.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Volunteering in your community might be a good way to shake off the blahs. Might meet some new friends too.

Congrats on 8 months sober!
Old 06-22-2016, 03:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

one of my long-time sober friends (17 years) added one brandnew activity/"thing" each month for the first couple of years. things he'd never done before and wasn't even sure he'd like.
things such as : going to the theatre. taking skiing lessons. taking a writing course. joining a meditation class.
worked really well for him, and he found in the process a whole bunch of stuff he enjoys and a bundle of new friends.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Crazy how my addiction beckons to me. Come on back. Start drinking again. You are clean again. You did great.

But, I am searching for more then drunken stupor these days.

As my health continues to improve I am pushing harder at the gym and plan to extend it to my BJJ training.

Been taking it fairly easy, but these next few years I plan to take my physical game to higher levels.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
one of my long-time sober friends (17 years) added one brandnew activity/"thing" each month for the first couple of years. things he'd never done before and wasn't even sure he'd like.
things such as : going to the theatre. taking skiing lessons. taking a writing course. joining a meditation class.
worked really well for him, and he found in the process a whole bunch of stuff he enjoys and a bundle of new friends.
Great idea! Thanks- going to work into my "new normal"!
Old 06-22-2016, 06:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I went through some really weird, all-over-the-board emotions during the first year. At 21 months (today actually!) everything has evened out and I am genuinely happy, calm, and content. I can see why some experts say that sometimes it can take up to two years to fully adjust to sobriety.

I remember experiencing a PAWS episode around 6 or 7 months. If your "funk" lifts in a few days, that very well may be what it is. If it continues, review your plan and add some tools to your sober toolbox. I hope you feel better soon! ☺
Old 06-23-2016, 06:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Thanks everyone!

I am so grateful for this place. Great ideas and great suggestions. I am feeling better today. Got some good sleep and am ready to take on the day. I really like the idea of trying new things to add some spice to my life now that I am just a boring sober guy...J/K!
Old 06-23-2016, 07:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You could try skydiving. That's what I did. Also tickle her fancy with Swedish ticklers, I tried them as well. Not at the same time .
Old 06-23-2016, 03:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like Anna I'm very happy with a peaceful life...but if your sober life seems to be lacking something C, there's nothing stopping you from finding out what that secret ingredient might be

D