Notices

Well here I am

Old 06-22-2016, 06:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Well here I am

Hey everyone. Not sure if I even belong here as I am on day 3 of tapering off which has worked for me a month ago and 3 years ago but here goes nothing. I really don't know if I want to be 100% sober for the rest of my life but I do know that I again need to control it.

Last edited by Nessie35; 06-22-2016 at 06:03 AM. Reason: auto correct
Old 06-22-2016, 06:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Nessie35 View Post
Hey everyone. Not sure if I even belong here as I am on day 3 of tapering off which has worked for me a month ago and 3 years ago but here goes nothing. I really don't know if I want to be 100% sober for the rest of my life but I do know that I again need to control it.
You belong. Welcome.

As far as controlling your drinking...if you have to control it, it's already out of control.

This alcoholic found sobriety a lot easier than trying to pretend he was a normal drinker.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm not trying to be negative, but something to ponder - you say it worked for you a month ago, but you're trying again. I would venture to say it didn't work a month ago if that's the case.

You have to do what's best for you, but I know in my case, tapering was a big fat failure.

I hope you stick around, welcome!
Old 06-22-2016, 06:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Welcome Nessie :-)
Old 06-22-2016, 06:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and I'm glad you found us.

I don't know if you will be able to control your drinking, but I hope you take a look around and read here. Most of us here have tried endlessly to do that For alcoholics, it just doesn't work and the obsession is exhausting. For me, stopping drinking was much easier.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I also found it easier to just quit drinking entirely than to try to taper or moderate. It was hard at first but it got easier.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for welcomes. Personally for me this is what Im choosing to do because of the health scare I had the very first time which was me quitting cold turkey. I feel as though the last time the taper did work with minimal withdrawls so this is why Im doing it again. Im not saying I stopped drinking but it slowed me down then until I had multiple dealths and had an increase. Im choosing also to taper again because I dont have the option of rehab or detox due to the nature of my job. This is one day at a time for me.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't think the post was saying the taper didn't work. Rather I think it was saying that the 'control', that you say you need re-gain, didn't work. Appears you lost control hence the need to taper. Good luck!
Old 06-22-2016, 07:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Most of us here couldn't imagine life without alcohol when we first got sober. Now, we would never go back to drinking, since sobriety gives so much more than alcohol does.
If you realize you need to control or limit your drinking, it sounds like it's already a problem. Alcoholism is progressive and things get worse. Dying from alcoholism is a terrible way to go, and that's the likely outcome of an alcoholic.

Speaking for myself, drinking doesn't wen come close to comparing with my life now in sobriety.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm sure many might think it is not something you can control, yet many people do. We are dynamic individuals, there are many forms of dependency and just self destructive behavior.

Don't concentrate on classifying whether or not your belong, what's important is you felt you needed a little support and are taking a break to heal yourself. Be sure you're drinking enough water.

Feel better in getting well, best.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you so much Endeavor. Its gonna be a tough road but I am determined more than ever!!!
Old 06-22-2016, 08:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I moderated for 3 decades. Every 3 months, or so, w in that time, I would accidentally not moderate and drink way to much. E.g.drink a whole bottle of wisky.

Now sober over a year I see each binge session did more and more, deeper and deeper....brain damage.

Alcohol causes brain damage. It alters our brain and makes us off balance, less coordinated, and unable to articulate words properly.

We drink initially for fun, but after just a short time we drink because we are....

Addicted.

Alcohol is poison. Don't believe the hype.

Get clean. Make some life adjustments. Stay clean.

Thanks.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

welcome this is the first step so to speak. I hope you listen to some veteran members and come everyday to report a new life.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Not sure if I even belong here as I am on day 3 of tapering off
Welcome and just my thoughts. If you took the time to post here, yes you do belong here.

This is a great place of support.

Best of sober luck,
Bob
Old 06-22-2016, 09:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I know I am addicted. I know I have a problem. Once the taper is done Im certain I wont want to drink again but I will do that when it comes. I realize most of you think that because youve been there and it didnt work that it wont work for me, but this, with my mental issues and such is how I need to do it. If I tell myself I wont drink I know that will set me up for failure. I cant even visit my parents or brothers because thats all they do is drink. I dont want to be their age (parents are in their70's, living like that.)Ive made the choice to slow down because yes I have lost control....from the way I used to be thats a huge step for me. Sounds like excuses but I have to do what I have to to get clean, knowing my body.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well I can only say for myself, i am proud you are here and hope you stop and find passions that are more beneficial for yourself. I am still in recovery and want the best for you
Old 06-22-2016, 09:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You sound to be Truly willing and have a True desire to be healthy in mind and body. There are no exact plans for getting sober as I see it. Each one must pick their own road that leads them to sobriety.

You can do it.
If by chance it doesn't work
keep trying and add to your toolbelt
yet more sober tools.

My sober toolbelt from what I have seen, only seems to fit well on me.

Mountainman
Old 06-22-2016, 09:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Nessie
Old 06-22-2016, 04:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Nessie

I think most of us, at some point, have wanted to drink again.

It's all down to realising that's not a viable choice for us anymore,m dismissing that desire, and re-committing to recovery and a sober life.

It's not easy, but it gets easier and support helps

Eventually you won't be troubled by that desire anymore

D
Old 06-22-2016, 06:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to have you with us, Nessie. I hope it's going well for you tonight. I'm glad you've decided to take this step. It really helped me to talk things over here.