Notices

Need to be accountable

Old 06-22-2016, 05:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need to be accountable

Hi all,
So yesterday was my 12th day. I like counting my days but I had a small slip. I mean very small. I have only ever drank whiskey. I wouldn't drink anything else. Yesterday was just a bad day, everything was going wrong and my patients were gone. Anyway I had a mikes hard cooler in the fridge left over from my mom's memorial and my av convinced me it wasn't the same as whisky... blah blah blah... I opened it and littereraly had 5 sips felt bad and poured it out. Am I back at day 1? It was à tiny slip but had to be accountable
Old 06-22-2016, 05:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry you had such a rough day!! You should feel very proud that you poured it out, and that you are posting here this morning. As for counting days, that is completely your call. The important thing today is that you continue on your journey, and it sounds like you are doing just that!!!
Old 06-22-2016, 05:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by hopefull24 View Post
Am I back at day 1?
My feelings are, if you are going to count the days you don't drink, then drinking resets you back to zero.

The good news is, you didn't carry on to a full scale binge. You let your AV talk you into the drink, but not into a drunk. That's something you can carry forward. Plus, no one can take away your sober days and what you learned from them.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Every time you slip you learn something. The time spent with days in a row aren't for nothing. They're a learning experience as to what not to do next time.

I feel your pain and the question you're asking is one that only you can answer. I had to be honest with myself in order to be accountable. Otherwise I'd come up with a million excuses weekly as to why I shouldn't have to go back to day 1.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would be less worried about the 5 sips and more worried about the idea that going home and drinking some booze was going to make it better. I know how you felt and its a hard habit to break. Wish you the best.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's up to you how you want to count the days. Like Thomas, I would be less concerned about the number of sips and more concerned that you believed alcohol would solve your problems. I really hope you can learn some new and healthy ways to deal with stress.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Hopefull

Like the others I think the fact you looked to alcohol for comfort is the red flag here, more so than the five sips.

As for counting, I can only tell you that I'd reset my count. I need to be that black and white. Other people deal with it in other ways.

Whatever you decide, please don't use this as a 'oh well I screwed up, may as well go the whole hog' scenario, OK ?

D
Old 06-22-2016, 04:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If I deliberately drank, I would start over at day one. I have to be brutally honest with myself.