Notices

Completely astonished

Old 06-20-2016, 10:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Completely astonished

I've taken that 1st step again after 4 yr's admitting I'm an alcoholic and now I want to quit drinking..seeked Dr's help shifty response there...husband sat a fifth of crown in front of me and said here's your rehab taper yourself off ..really I drink a fifth almost every night and this was his answer..I asked for help not a joke..he says I have a job to clean the house and take care of our kids..so 3 days later here I am no liquor left just handed a six pack of coors. I'm depressed and I cry a lot which I know is totally normal just really sucks. I'm dredding that day coming soon where I will lose my mind anybody else know what I'm saying. Last time I went out I came home and took a bunch of morphine and slept 2 days I knew the alcohol was getting to me and my thoughts! I'm praying for support and I love reading happy sober stories!
Old 06-20-2016, 11:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
now's the time

it's going to be OK. I know how bad it feels but hang in there and try to stop. I was on the verge of losing my mind too. But I got sober and now I have almost a year, and a new job, a lot of great things in my life. I know it feels like the depression is so real but it's partially from the alcohol and it'll get better as you stop drinking. You can do it!
Old 06-20-2016, 11:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I do know how you feel garden. Why was your doctor shifty? He/she is supposed to be helping. Your husband needs to be reminded that this is 2016 not 1950.

My main concern is for you, and if you are drinking a fifth of vodka nearly every night you really do imo need medical support to detox. Have you ever detoxed before, and how did you do it?

Keep posting garden, you are not alone.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You can decide right now to do what you know you should. I hope and pray that you read your post every day for a while and see what alcohol does. It makes us do things we would not normally do.

I use to think my life was the worst until I got sober and realised it actually was alcohol that made my life seem miserable.

Your husband was wrong to give you those beers and I hope you did not drink it. Play the story out in your head of what will happen if you drink right now. It will not help anything.

Please get some professional help if you need to. This forum is helping me a lot right now to stay sober. I am happy that you are here so stick around.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is very serious business

Please be careful and seek medical help for your detox.

Even if not taken at the exact same time together.
Mixing morphine and alcohol can kill you and has killed many.

MB
Old 06-20-2016, 11:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome InvisibleGarden nice to meet you
Old 06-21-2016, 05:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

It's not at all astonishing that neither your doctor nor your husband is an expert at addiction recovery.

They exist, though. Perhaps it's time to go find one.

Best of luck on your journey.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Okay. So, you know now that your husband and that doctor can be scrubbed off your support list. Luckily there will be other, better sources of support. Google is your friend here. I would also suggest getting to some AA meetings, and get some real face to face support who will know what ut is available locally, and may be able to say which Doctors locally are more clued up on addiction and alcohol etc. It can vary so much from one doctor to another, that local experience and knowledge can be so, so useful.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You will never regret getting sober. Best decision (other than deciding I wanted to have a child) that Ive ever made.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome. There is tons of support here whenever you need it. Everyone here wants you to succeed at this. You can do this.... One day at a time.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome InvisibleGarden

It;s often hard to find support, but you'll find a ton here

Have you considered things like AA or some other meeting based recovery group for face to face support?

D
Old 06-21-2016, 06:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome! Glad you are here with us. Please pardon me for saying this, but your husband's actions really **** me off.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for support

Shifty..as in he said I'm so far gone he can't help me unless I've been sober awhile. He said go to a 7 day detox and explained this to my husband but got home and he said I'm not leaving so here I am. It was a psyc Dr I have anxiety and take meds for it. I spilled my guts to him and told him everything then I was shot in the back. Last time I did a 3 month inpatient which included detox I was sober 4 yr's and went 3 times a week to aa.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Your husband is telling you that you can't go? And you're letting him?

Yes, he's wrong to expect you not to get the help you need, but ultimately, you are an adult and it's 2016. Don't ask him. TELL him. He is your husband, not God. You are sick and need to get well. He may not understand. Who knows. But he isn't responsible for you. YOU are responsible for you.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yeah you need to go into detox. Alcohoism can and does kill. Tell your husband that he may not like you gone for 7 days, but if you don't go, you may be gone forever.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Contemplating between reality and real

Sometimes you live a great life rather short or long you love everyone no matter there weekness or strengths but when you have been shunned by everyone why keep living? I've done exactly as I was told still to this day I never got to be the person I wanted to be. I have waited too long I'm tired.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hard way

I met an interesting man tonight he owns several drug and alcohol treatment centers around oregon. Than why keep buying free rounds cause your a drunk or you love the money. It's people like this that make me so sick!!! I'm sure he will be in his own treatment center soon and then he'll see what a living he'll it is to be addicted.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:36 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

What are you waiting for? I spent years waiting to 'get it' and for things to fall into place. It didn't work like that. Things only started changing once I'd accepted responsibility for myself and started to take action. Nowadays I need to continue to take that action. As they say in AA. The program works if we work it. Complacency would soon see me back in the mire.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Invisiblegarden View Post
I met an interesting man tonight he owns several drug and alcohol treatment centers around oregon. Than why keep buying free rounds cause your a drunk or you love the money. It's people like this that make me so sick!!! I'm sure he will be in his own treatment center soon and then he'll see what a living he'll it is to be addicted.
Where did you meet him?
Old 06-22-2016, 01:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

At a bar