"New" RV

Old 06-20-2016, 07:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

"New" RV

Yet again, I am relying on your experience, strength and hope.

I have the opportunity to buy a 32 year old travel trailer that was originally designed as an office trailer. The galley and bathroom are built in. Aside from that, the trailer has no other built-ins and is an empty canvas. It has these wonderful large windows that let light pour in. It needs quite a lot of work.

Less than 10 miles from here is a lovely RV park out in the middle of an orange grove. My partner and I used to go there a lot, where we would consume vast amounts of alcohol. Now that I am sober, I would enjoy that park again as an inspiration for my art. I build exact copies of historic buildings in 1/4" scale.

The reason I am posting about all this, is to take the step to purchase that trailer scares......me......a.......LOT.

I feel the trailer and the park calling me. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old 06-20-2016, 08:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I say go for it!!!!
Old 06-20-2016, 08:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Eauchiche.......my first thought is to ask you if you can spell out, specifically, what scares you about it?

dandylion
Old 06-20-2016, 08:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Check on "hidden" costs - licensing/registration, mechanical stuff/tires, inside and outside repair, hook up/sanitation/electrical/water fees, space rental, safety in a storm, mileage/resale value, RV park as a potential trigger since it was a special drinking place, whatever else you can think of...and then compare all that with your dream. If they match up, go for it! It sounds lovely.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Eauchiche.......my first thought is to ask you if you can spell out, specifically, what scares you about it?

dandylion
Hi Dandy!
Hard to pinpoint the exact source of the angst. It could just be laziness. The RV needs a new floor, at least, although appears structurally sound. It will require a LOT of work.

I also don't have a vehicle that will pull it.....yet.

I don't think my former liquored life has a lot to do with it. I sense that this is very much a NOW thing, and not too connected to the past.

Thanks again to you and everyone else.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Is the location a current party place? Would you be safe there?
Old 06-21-2016, 06:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JK130 View Post
Is the location a current party place? Would you be safe there?
Thanks, JK
It's a VERY nice place. What others do in their own RVs is their own business. I was certainly drunk there plenty of times.......
Old 06-21-2016, 01:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Maybe it'd help to pull together a list of all the things that need to be done in order to get a realistic picture of the project and costs: securing lease (or purchase?) for a space in the RV park, transportation of trailer to the space, installation of a new floor, etc.

There've been a few houses that have come on the market that I absolutely love the idea and potential of (great location, good framework/layout, but needs a lot of TLC), but after writing down all the work needed, I found my enthusiasm to do it myself and/or budget sadly lacking. I've had to pass, but one of these days, I'll find one that's just right.

Just a quick note, that depending on the size of the trailer, and if you plan to move it to the RV park and stay there a good long while, you might be able to just rent a U-Haul type vehicle with a hitch to move it or hire a company to move it for you.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Just one thought--is this truly the deal of a lifetime? If not, maybe wait a bit, sit with the idea, and see if it continues to appeal to you. I sometimes get caught up in the enthusiasm of the moment and wind up making a decision that sounds awesome, but then I lose interest after a while, and am stuck with something (like a large vehicle, lol) that, on further reflection, I wish I hadn't acquired.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I need more info on this. Is this something that you will tow each time you go camping, or is it going to stay in one spot?

I have no problem with the work that needs to be done on it. I bought a foreclosure and the house was severely abused. I looked at it like "we were healing together".

So will you be hauling this back and forth, or do you have to pay a monthly rent to leave it there?

If you will be hauling it back and forth, what is the cost (if any) of storing this?

If you are leaving it there as a permanent fixture, did you check out how you need to anchor it in?

There are many things to think about. I did own a trailer, mine was a stationary spot in an RV park that I had to pay a monthly fee for.

Give us more info so we can help you bounce ideas around.

If this is what you what, then I can't argue with that. I know for a long time I just wanted to get a trailer and get away from everything.

(((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))) I know you will make the right decision for you.
amy
Old 06-21-2016, 08:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Dear friends
First of all, a heartfelt thanks for your thoughtful posts.

I would store the RV in the park storage area, and just pull it into a spot when I want to stay there. The monthly storage fee would be just $50. I got an insurance quote of $130 per year.

Once I bought a little trailer that was in much worse shape than this one. I was in the process of rebuilding it when I lost my house, and everything else. This rig would be a snap in comparison.

I want to convert the insides of this rig to look like the old passenger RR cars from the 40s and 50s, color and everything.

Your thoughts about cost and inheriting such a large item are well taken. I have been considering this for the past 5-6 weeks, when they first flew the ad for it.

I have also figured out the source of my angst over the decision. This is yet another step in life without my partner, and this is something we used to enjoy together. Having to face this during this process is a VERY good thing, regardless whether I buy this rig or not.

Thanks again to all of you. I will update you if I buy it.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Sounds like you're going at this the right way. Hey, never any guarantees in life, right? If the worst that happens is buyer's remorse, an RV is lot easier to get rid of than an alcoholic partner!