Notices

Will the shakes ever go if I switch to moderate drinking?

Old 06-19-2016, 02:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Will the shakes ever go if I switch to moderate drinking?

After years of heavy drinking and a particularly heavy past few months I've developed the shakes. So I decided to attempt to stick to the UK government's recommended safe drinking levels for men of not regularly exceeding four units a day.

After months of drinking 3-4 bottles of wine a day I took two days off and already saw an improvement in my shaking. On day three I had 3 units and yesterday 3.3.

Now as obvious as it sounds I was a little surprised to see a regression in my progress re shaking. Will moderate drinking just slow the process of overcoming them or do I need to stop completely until they go completely, then see how moderate drinking goes. Will, after they've gone, a glass of wine a day bring them back?

Thanks for your help.
Old 06-19-2016, 02:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Qwertyplmnb

I can guarantee that you'll see a massive improvement - almost certainly total recovery from shaking - if you quit entirely.

I have no experience to share on cutting back tho.

If drinking's affecting you this much, have you considered quitting entirely, for good ?

D
Old 06-19-2016, 03:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SoberRecovery I wholeheartedly agree with the advice above
Old 06-19-2016, 04:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Didn't work for me.
Quitting altogether did, however. . .
Old 06-19-2016, 05:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Welcome, I agree with Dee also.

What you might want to take into consideration is where you're concerned about what you see happening on the outside with the shakes what must also be going on inside your body.

I'm glad that you came here. Take the time to read some posts, there's some really good information here.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Agree with the above- with moderation or tapering...you are prolonging the time alcohol stays in your body and triggering recurring shakes. Much like with continued heavy drink, what you are doing usually continues and possibly increases the symptoms you are experiencing.

It will likely suck to go through withdrawal- does for most of us with the symptoms we experience- but that WILL pass. For me, aside from the "benefits" I thought I was getting from drinking, at the end, one of the big things that kept me from stopping was the dread of going through withdrawal (which I knew would be significant based on my huge consumption of a handle of vodka every two days). IMO and IME, you just have to bite the bullet and quit, full stop.

Good luck!
Old 06-19-2016, 05:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. The shaking will stop when you stop drinking. Moderating won't help, only stopping entirely will help.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

No, you will keep the shakes. The shakes are part of withdrawal. If you keep drinking, you'll keep going through withdrawal on a regular basis.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Personally I wouldn't be able to stick to the suggested limits, as an A I can't moderate! Quitting altogether is much better and actually easier, in my experience.

Trying to moderate is exhausting and crazy making!
Old 06-19-2016, 05:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know for me to try to moderate would not be enjoyable. I heard someone say at a meeting "If I was controlling my drinking I was not enjoying it and if I was enjoying my drinking I was not controlling it".
Old 06-19-2016, 06:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

Moderating doesn't work for alcoholics. I think most of us here have tried moderating and found it's exhausting and ultimately does not work for us. Quitting is a much better choice.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

"After years of hitting my head against the wall, particularly hard in the last few months, I've started bleeding from the ears. I've decided to follow the recommendation of the U.K. government, noted for its expertise on health matters, and only strike my head with my fist. If I restrict myself to blows to the head from my fist, will the bleeding from my ears stop?"
Old 06-19-2016, 08:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

Quit before the shakes become permanent!!!
Old 06-19-2016, 08:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
under new management

"Trying to moderate is exhausting and crazy making!"

Moderation is not something I could manage, even the thought makes me feel anxious. One or two drinks make me feel miserable.

All or nothing for me.

When it comes to alcohol, nothing is the only answer for me.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Qwerty,
it's worth a try.
i say that because i couldn't learn from others' experience.
i had to be utterly convinced by my own experience.
from where i'm sitting, looking at your post suggests that the shaking isn't the main issue; heavy drinking is.
there are people who can abstain for a while after heavy drinking and later can moderate.
i'm not one of them.

seeing if you are able and content later at one glass of wine a day is something you need to know/find out for yourself.

if you find you can't, then you'll know the shaking is not a big deal as you'll be dealing with something much bigger than just the result of drinking.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome
Moderation was not an option for me. It was stopping completely or end up in a box.
I am not sure moderation is better than complete abstinence i am no expert but i do know i am alive and never felt better xx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
images-25-320x320-1.jpg (74.2 KB, 95 views)
Old 06-19-2016, 04:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

If you want to test it, stop completely for at least 30 days. Allow the booze to get completely out of your system. Well, your blood, anyway, it stays in the brain much longer. Then try to moderate. If you can't do that, you'll always have the shakes unless you quit altogether.