Notices

First week ever without drinking......feel like crap

Old 06-18-2016, 07:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First week ever without drinking......feel like crap

So.....I have never ever posted on here or any place like here....I've always
Known I drink to much....but....most alcoholics I've known...drink everyday....soooo....I've always thought....no problem....(although down deep I probably knew better).....I have always been a drinker....since early teens.....13 onward....every weekend etc....but....the last 15 years or so....It's been 3 times a week...occasionally four......but mostly 3.....I consume about 20 beer or so.....in about 5 hours....by myself....pass out....get up work....sober for a day or so.....repeat.

I guess that's kind of my back ground.....I haven't had a drink in a week....it hurts....I'm angry....depressed....sore....chest pain etc.....is it possible to be going through withdrawal when I wasn't a daily drinker? Is it all in my head?....would I....or am I considered an alcoholic...

Thank you in advance for any help.....direction or taking the time to read
Old 06-18-2016, 07:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think it's definitely possible you're experiencing withdrawals, even if you didn't drink every day. As to whether you're an alcoholic or not...only you can decide. But it's as they say: people who are able to drink normally don't usually even ask themselves this question.

Anyway welcome to the forum . Hope you stick around. We're all here to help each other.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's possible to go thru withdrawal even if you don't drink everyday. I can't say whether you're alcoholic or not, only you can decide that. All I can say is that if alcohol is causing problems, it's best to stop drinking for good. I got sober over six years ago and my life has never been better.

It takes some time for things to even out in sobriety. Be patient and be good to yourself and it will get better.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome restless one - a week is great.

It certainly is possible to go through withdrawal if you're drinking 20 beers in a session. Binge drinking is a real thing.

I hope you'll start to feel better and better soon

D
Old 06-18-2016, 08:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you both for the replies and words of encouragement. Life without alcohol will definitely be different....and 1week in....scary as hell
Old 06-18-2016, 08:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Restlessone! Getting through the first week is the hardest. The biggest thing for me in the first few weeks was to have something planned when I would normally be drinking. Read, walk, gym, something with my kids, bath, time of SR... It helped to get past that time when I would normally our myself some wine. I haven't had any alcohol since New Years Eve, and though it has been challenging some days, the physical and mental benefits are so worth it!!

Looking forward to seeing you on SR!
Old 06-18-2016, 08:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you....I hope I feel better soon as well
Old 06-18-2016, 08:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Nice job on a week! I totally understand your situation, I did the same!

It takes time to get all the poison out of your body! Hang in there, eat 3 good meals a day, take a walk for 30 minutes and try to get some good rest at night!
Old 06-19-2016, 12:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. The first weeks are tough, but it does get better.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome & nice to meet you
Old 06-19-2016, 09:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Restlessone hang in there it is never easy, I was depressed full of anxiety I could not sleep did not want to eat, yep it is all part of the process of recovery stay connected here we can help.

It will get better!
Old 06-19-2016, 09:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great job on a week! Like others have said, it really will get better emotionally and physically.

Food, water and sleep do help. Being kind to yourself physically- nap, watch tv or movies uou like, whatever- and just keep not drinking.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome! Even though you didn't drink every day, at those quantities it's very likely you had alcohol in your system continually because your body couldn't have processed it all very quickly. So withdrawal? Absolutely.

The good thing about your not yet drinking every day is that you have recent experience getting through days without actually drinking, so you know you can. That should help, psychologically.

As for the "A" word...it isn't really about the amount of alcohol or the frequency, IMO. It's whether alcohol is negatively affecting your life and your health.

It gets better. And the fact that you are going through withdrawal now should tell you something, yes?

There is all kinds of support here for you, 24/7.

You can do this!
Old 06-19-2016, 10:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Welcome aboard Rest,

I prefer addict to alcoholic. We are addicted just like a crackhead.

Stay clean. Eat clean. Change your life a bit.

Every cell in your body is toxic right now. It will take a month or so to get over the initial detox. Then several months to a year or so to fully heal physically and mentally.

Trust me when i say, you forgot what normal feels like.

Post a lot. It helps w accounting.

Just short of 14 months here. I had a foot in the grave this time last year.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congrats on week 1! I'm sorry you're not feeling well, but not surprised. The good news is that you never have to feel the effects of acute alcohol poisoning again...as long as you don't drink. I wish that I had kept a journal of feelings, setbacks and successes. I didn't but remember the very hard first days. Stay strong, you can do this!