Notices

Mind Body

Old 06-18-2016, 07:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mind Body

Some time ago I read John E Sarno mind body prescription , healing back pain , the divided mind . I got what he was saying but was sceptical. Now I think he is right .
I don't know if my mind is playing tricks on me but every time I feel good , optimistic and strong I am followed by a big dip . Like yesterday was the best day I have had in a while and today I ache from head to toe . According to John E Sarno the mind can make us hurt to keep up focused on the body and away from painful emotions.
I have my fair share of past shameful embarrassing events but thought I had come to terms with them , maybe yes maybe no . I don't understand this.
I could be clutching at straws looking for answers where sufficient time to heal is the only answer .

Any of you aware of the hypothesis presented by this Author .

Thanks for reading
Old 06-18-2016, 09:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have not read the book but I know that I carry anxiety and depression in my body in the form of pain. Sometimes it feels like my brain (command central) has no idea what's going on, but my body does. I learned in EMDR therapy to recognize the difference between muscle/joint pain and anxiety pain. I learned to listen to it so I could get command central to wake up and figure out what's going on.

I also know that my negative thinking is my addiction trying to take hold. I know its tempting to say, well it can't always be my addiction. For me I think it is. When I'm happy and at peace, I can start to hear that little voice...maybe there aren't even words yet, but its there. Or if something 'bad' or stressful happens, that side of me jumps in an reacts. Yeah, get pissed. Yeah, get stressed. Yeah, poor you. No. I can't afford to react that way. Anyway I'm rambling.

Ups and downs are normal. And yeah, it takes time. I try to shift my perspective when it becomes negative. Doesn't have to be unicorns and rainbows, but I can usually shift my mood to at least neutral with some kind of positive action. I have no idea if I'm making sense
Old 06-18-2016, 12:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think for sure that "mind" and "body" are not two separate things. I believe even science has come around to this realization. I mean, I can be thinking about a certain person or situation, and then notice that I am physically tense.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not aware of the Sarno hypothesis, but I know myself I'm a lot less pained and worried about my health when I'm engaged in things and productive Tom?

I think emotional rollercoasters are pretty much a given for a while after detox tho. We kinda underestimate the damage we do, I think?

D
Old 06-18-2016, 09:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Zen and good to see you back Dee . I notice pain in my back and legs if I worry and fret . If I get busy it disappears .