Notices

Getting sober and the affect on depression

Old 06-17-2016, 05:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting sober and the affect on depression

Hello Everyone,

I've just completed my 50th day sober and this evening I've been reflecting on how I feel after a significant time off the booze. I find it difficult to understand myself and be in touch with my emotional state which is probably why I drank to escape problems rather than address them.

I've suffered from depression and anxiety for a long time, I previously did a course of CBT which I found very helpful. I've also been on various different antidepressants which I remember helping at the time however I remember the side affects being pretty unpleasant.

I feel like this is a great starting point because I can see the reality of things without the depressive affects of alcohol. I still have most of the symptoms of depression such as worrying, low self esteem, difficulty making decisions etc. I also feel like because of what I've been through mentally my brain has become emotionally numb as a protective mechanism.

My doctor has prescribed a low dose of citalopram (another antidepressant) but I've avoided taking it because i don't want to be reliant on medication and am worried about turning into a zombie (although I guess I'm part way there with how I feel at the minute).

I quit drinking twice last year and went back on it around the 50 day mark both times. I feel like it was a combination of forgetting how bad it felt and the initial positive attitude of making a change and self improvement starting to dwindle.

What I wanted to ask is if anyone has experience with depression when getting sober? Should I give it more time to heal the damage I've done by drinking? Any advice really would be great!

Thank you for reading
Old 06-17-2016, 05:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations on 50 days the short answer is yes give it longer than 50 days can I ask about the other times you were on medication, was you sober or drinking at the time of taking other antidepressants ?
Old 06-17-2016, 05:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

For me, it was a matter of time before I started feeling better, but what also helped was making some changes to how I was perceiving the world. I used to be very pessimistic and cynical and let my mind run away with me, dragging me into anxiety and depression. I did try antidepressants a few times but strongly felt they were not for me.

It took a long time, but I started learning how to watch those thoughts and to stop or change them before they spiralled out of control in my head. Having some sort of a spiritual practice as well as reading books by people such as Wayne Dyer and Eckhart Tolle were a big help to me.

Dietary changes have also seemed to help. Look into the brain-gut connection; serotonin is produced in our digestive tract.

Today I don't suffer from those awful anxious racing thoughts anymore and I am very rarely depressed. It is such a relief. But it didn't happen overnight, either.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

serotonin is produced in our digestive tract.

Wow. 80-90% of Serotonin is made in our GI. Who knew? That is kinda interesting....
Old 06-17-2016, 05:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, wait. If you're an alcoholic, what choice do you have? It is interesting that I drink to feel and I drink not to feel. I can't win! Hang in there.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

I've suffered depression my whole adult life. I've also used alcohol to self medicate and suppress my feelings. I'm a little over 9 months sober. What I can tell you is just stopping drinking will not make the depression go away. If it was there before you started drinking it'll still be there. But I can also tell you that by stopping drinking there's hope that the depression can get better. AD's work better, if you go that route, and you can begin to work on the thoughts that cause the depression. If you continue to drink there's no way you can work on yourself and the depression could get worse. I can't tell you that the depression will go away if you stay sober but while drinking there is no hope.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've been and am still on antidepressants. I was told, by a professional in the field, that AD's don't cause the zombie like state you fear but, are a symptom of your depression. The AD's level the playing field do you have a better chance of working through and out of your depression.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am just about a month sober and also dealing with depression. And also was prescribed Citalopram. I've been on it almost 3 weeks so too early to feel the effects. my mental health really has suffered after so many years of alcohol abuse, but I know that I will heal eventually if I stay sober. This too shall pass!
Old 06-17-2016, 07:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, give it more time. And maybe try the antidepressant - at this point in your journey, you haven't been sober that long - though it is a super achievement!!- and your body is continuing to heal, mentally, emotionally and physically. It takes 6 mo to 2yrs, from all I have read and learned, for real balance to come. I am a believer that the right medicine can be a very valid and useful tool in recovery if appropriate, correctly prescribed and taken (I don't love the way you said your dr prescribed one and you don't take it- presumably this is a good dr, providing you with the best care for you?).

Me, I have been dx as Borderline (After years of other dx) and while I believe it to be correct, I also know that removing the alcohol may "change" the dx or at least shift the severity of where I am on the psychiatric spectrum. Getting rid of the alcohol so we can see what we are really dealing with at a baseline, if you will, is my plan; I am staying on the meds my dr has been prescribing under her supervision and how they are working.

Other things suggested above like the eating and such - might help the depression but should overall improve your feeling of well being.

Good luck!
Old 06-17-2016, 07:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the replies!

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Congratulations on 50 days the short answer is yes give it longer than 50 days can I ask about the other times you were on medication, was you sober or drinking at the time of taking other antidepressants ?
I find it difficult to remember clearly what was going on at the time but I'm pretty sure I was drinking throughout, it wouldn't have been at the levels I have been drinking over the last few years but still what would have been considered excessive.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Madbird View Post
For me, it was a matter of time before I started feeling better, but what also helped was making some changes to how I was perceiving the world. I used to be very pessimistic and cynical and let my mind run away with me, dragging me into anxiety and depression. I did try antidepressants a few times but strongly felt they were not for me.

It took a long time, but I started learning how to watch those thoughts and to stop or change them before they spiralled out of control in my head. Having some sort of a spiritual practice as well as reading books by people such as Wayne Dyer and Eckhart Tolle were a big help to me.

Dietary changes have also seemed to help. Look into the brain-gut connection; serotonin is produced in our digestive tract.

Today I don't suffer from those awful anxious racing thoughts anymore and I am very rarely depressed. It is such a relief. But it didn't happen overnight, either.
I can definitely relate to how you were feeling, that sounds like a great approach and one that I've tried myself to a degree, it definitely has helped but only when I consciously thinking about things, the problem is the majority of the time I resort back to the negative autopilot way of thinking, more work required on my part I guess!
Old 06-17-2016, 07:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
I can definitely relate to how you were feeling, that sounds like a great approach and one that I've tried myself to a degree, it definitely has helped but only when I consciously thinking about things, the problem is the majority of the time I resort back to the negative autopilot way of thinking, more work required on my part I guess!
Haha! I still have that problem! It takes a lot of practice and patience learning to be consistent with it.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have severe histories of depression on both sides of my family. Before I drank I was depressed, during my drinking I was depressed, and when I quit drinking I was depressed. A counselor told me one time that the alcohol was tamping down my depression symptoms and I would feel a lot of things without the alcohol dulling my senses.

Depression is an awful thing to experience. I recommend you read William Styron's memoir [I]Darkness Visible[I] as it offers an articulate and honest description of depression.

When I first quit drinking I had a lot of things I was depressed about and I cried a lot during the first few months I was sober. Right now I have a year of sobriety but the first couple of times I tried to quit drinking I relapsed. Those exposures to alcohol significantly affected my mood and recovery because I could sense that my depression was easing up a bit the longer I stayed sober. Medications never worked for me because of serious side effects and I think cognitive behavioral therapy is really a great tool if you can do it.

Depression still bothers me but I think my symptoms are worse because I got into a relationship and a lot of horrible things happened. If you can simplify your life I think you can get a handle on alcohol abuse and depression so you can get healthy.

Depression is unhealthy. When I am severely depressed I can barely get out of bed. My dad has it, mother has it, my grandparents experienced, and on and on. Research it and educate yourself about the tools available to you. Medication can improve severe symptoms, but I think the serious work requires changing your life. I hope you feel better and I am trying to work on my depression myself.

Exercise!!! It is so helpful for depression. I was running around a track every night for six months and I felt better than I have ever felt in my life. Soon I will return to exercising and improving my physical fitness.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Drillbit , congrats on 50 days . I relate to your post as I am struggling with anxiety . We don't drink now so we have to face up to things head on but you are not alone in this . You can rest assured we are all here for you to bounce your feelings or thoughts off . Because of a really nasty binge my anxiety has flared up but over the years I did have long good anxiety free spells . I have just posted last night a post similar to yours so I know how you feel . Have a squint at it as I found the replies extremely beneficial , in fact I feel a good bit better today .

Madbird ive read the books you spoke about and I did know about the serotonin in the GI , great reading but as Scott told me action must follow the reading .