Infinite Happy Days - Gratitude and Joy Posts - Part 3

Old 06-16-2016, 07:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Infinite Happy Days - Gratitude and Joy Posts - Part 3

This is the continuation of the "Infinite Happy Days - Gratitude and Joy Posts - part 2", which can be found here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-2-a.html

Mike
Old 06-16-2016, 09:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am grateful for the very first firefly of the summer, whom I saw tonight when Ietting the dogs out after I got home from work! I love the fireflies...
Old 06-17-2016, 11:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh HP, I've only seen fireflies once - in Nebraska on a trip. I was in awe - they are wonderful!!

Grateful for a camping weekend - ALWAYS!
Old 06-17-2016, 11:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

On craigslist, I was selling a canoe that was among the left-behind stuff in bro's shed--a guy who lived about an hour and a half away wanted it but couldn't get over to me till Friday. I promised him I'd hold onto it until then. Over the course of the week, I had a slew of people promising "cash, and take it away this afternoon." I stood on my principles and told them I'd hang onto their emails and let them know one way or the other after Friday.

To be honest, I wasn't positive the original guy was actually going to show, and there was temptation to "get it done" by selling to someone sooner. I doubted myself and thought maybe I should just take the quick and dirty way...after all, it's craigslist and everyone acts despicably on craigslist, why should I do any different?

But the guy came and took the canoe--he wants it for himself and his GF and their dog. And the dog is...wait for it....A BASSET HOUND!! He had told me they had a dog they wanted to take in the canoe, so I was picturing a lab or similar water dog. Apparently their hound likes the water (mine does not, especially) and they have purchased him a life jacket and are looking to do some gentle lake floating in the lakes in and around Madison.

Just finished replying to the last of the emails from other interested buyers, and feeling satisfaction w/each one b/c I am doing what I said I would, all the way down the line.

I am grateful that I was raised to have principles and I'm grateful that I stuck to them and did the right thing instead of the quicker thing. I think maybe that's HP's way of reminding me "do good, feel good; do bad, feel bad."
Old 06-17-2016, 12:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Grateful for the sun rising today, knowing people that are really struggling and seeing such support, and for new beginnings.

Happy Friday!
Old 06-17-2016, 06:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Grateful that DS's school had a Father's Day event and he was thrilled I came. Then we got ice cream and.took a walk around the downtown area. Then we came home and snuggled on the couch and watched the US Open. Awesome day. Took another walk after I put him to bed, beautiful night. Came home to wife passed out on the couch. So, I'm also thankful for the quiet!!
Old 06-18-2016, 02:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh wow, we have Part 3 now!

Well, I am grateful today because I have reached the point in life where my greatest dilemma is, "What to eat tonight?" Just a simple, drama-free question. Shall I go for Chinese, or perhaps Mexican, or should I get a pizza, or perhaps I should cook something . . . so many options, so much time, a no one to scream about it. Life is good.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am grateful for a wonderful, productive, relaxing, beautiful weekend. As awful as I felt last weekend, that is how good I felt this weekend.

I worked 10 hours yesterday, which is fine b/c I need to pay for my little black dog's dental work. Then I came home and mowed the lawn, b/c the shadows were long and the heat was not too bad anymore, what w/the breeze and all. When I finished, the lightning bugs were starting to twinkle, so beautiful (firebolt, I'm sure you have mountains and trout streams and other beautiful things we Midwesterners can't imagine, but we DO have fireflies here and they make up for a multitude of sins...).

Today I spent the AM getting my house back in order and catching up on some things that needed doing. This afternoon I took off from any responsibilities, went to a local park w/a water-filled quarry and a beach and swam out to the float line and watched dragonflies. IT. WAS. FREAKING. PERFECT.

It was hot, but not humid, and there was a breeze. I sat on the beach till I was hot, then swam till cool, then repeated. I smelled folks barbecuing various things. I walked in the woods a bit. Then I went to the grocery store, where I bought 2 cobs of fresh corn and a container of Haagen-Dasz Vanilla Tangerine Shortbread ice cream for dinner.

And I know that when I do go to bed, I will lie in bed and feel the motion of the quarry lake all around me, b/c that is what happens if I spend any amount of time in the water. It is the most delightful and restful way to drift off to sleep.

Perfect, perfect afternoon and evening. My cup overfloweth. I hope you all have had equally wonderful weekends.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can't believe that this thread has taken on such a life of it's own like this. I am SO proud of all of us - this is a real testament to how we've all come & how far all of our perspectives have shifted in such a healing & positive way.

So grateful for a wonderful, laid back, respite of a weekend. We originally planned a lot of activities but RAH ended up working very late on Friday & was quite obviously hurting on Saturday morning. I had a moment but pretty quickly changed gears without changing attitude & that's not always easy for me... I tend to have a hard time letting go of the original plan AND not judging him for not managing his pain better to begin with.

So happy about my new yoga mat! It's just a cheapo but it's new & makes a great top layer for my older, worn down one.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good to read all your posts.

I had a long list of things to do but wound up taking a three hour nap instead - irk.

I did take the dog on an hour long walk on a trail that I had newly discovered. It went far enough from the houses that I could let her off leash. She happily careened around and I dug burrs. Lovely.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Grateful for good weather, family and my bike. After losing dad, Fathers day was really hard this year. I decided I wasn't very good company for anyone and skipped out on friends, and cute cowboy, and just rode and rode. I spent some time with my brother and his kids this weekend and that was amazing. <3
Old 06-20-2016, 07:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

((((Hugs)))) firebolt--it had to be tough to go thru that first Father's Day w/o your dad.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by firebolt View Post
Grateful for good weather, family and my bike. After losing dad, Fathers day was really hard this year. I decided I wasn't very good company for anyone and skipped out on friends, and cute cowboy, and just rode and rode. I spent some time with my brother and his kids this weekend and that was amazing. <3
You were in my thoughts yesterday when RAH & I took an early morning bike ride to the beach to watch the sun rise on Father's Day. ((((Hugs))))
Old 06-20-2016, 09:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

thanks guys - can't wait til Feb 2017...no more firsts without him!!
Old 06-20-2016, 09:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Anniversaries are always hard for me too, fb. I know what you mean--that first year, that first time around the circle, is always the hardest. Somehow once you know you've made it a full year, the pain begins to fade a little and makes room for happier memories and thoughts.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

firebolt, how is your brother doing?

I am grateful for a wonderful, splendid weekend with my out-of-town friend. The weekend required me to spend barely any money (an extra big bonus these days), and we had such fun.

I am also grateful that DS and STBXAH appear to have had a wonderful Father's Day weekend together. One of their outings involved heading to a local animal shelter. STBXAH had to put his beloved dog to sleep last month, and it appears he may have found a new friend to bring home. DS kept squealing with delight when he told and re-told the story of how Buddy the Dog put his paws up on STBXAH's shoulders and licked him all over his face.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Glad your weekend was wonderful, Wisconsin, and I LOVE to hear a good dog story! Wishing all the best to STBXAH and his new hound.

BTW, is your little foster guy in his new home yet?
Old 06-20-2016, 11:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well...yes and no. He has been with his prospective new owner since Tuesday of last week, but he is absolutely transfixed by her cat. Which is freaking her cat out. The rescue's founder gave her some tips to try with them, but if they can't settle in, he will come back to me and we will keep looking for a good home.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Grateful for the progress I have made in my recovery - thanks in large part to everyone on this forum. Grateful I was able to set a boundary and stick to it, for once.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good going, hope!