Notices

Dipping tobacco during meetings

Old 06-14-2016, 11:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dipping tobacco during meetings

I went to my first ever meeting a couple years back with a friend who lived out in the mountains who gave me a pinch of Copenhagen for the meeting, and ever since then I associate dipping with going to meetings and even use dipping as an incentive to get my butt to a meeting. I notice that I am the only one dipping, but I am wondering if it is considered bad etiquette. I never use any clear receptacles and am as quiet with it as possible, but I'm sure people know what I am up to. As far as I am concerned smoking bans are for health related reasons so dip isn't a health issue for those around me. No one has ever said anything to me about it. What are your thoughts?
Old 06-14-2016, 12:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

Don't do it.

Same experience with vaping.

Every once in a while the subject will come up at a business meeting of one meeting or another. At some point someone suggests asking the space we rent from if it is OK to vape or dip inside before we vote yes or no. I've never seen any facility say anything other than "Of course it's not OK. What made you think that it was?"
Old 06-14-2016, 12:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

personally, I'd ask what the rules on tobacco are before doing so.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I dipped tobacco for many years. My thoughts are that it's pretty disgusting and rude to do in public, even if it doesn't present a "health hazard" to those around you. It presents a health hazard to YOU and also another possible addiction.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

I had to look that up

My barber dipps tobacco I used to think he was taking drugs or something I still can't get my head round putting tobacco in your mouth intentionally no offence but any time I've caught rolling tobacco on my mouth it's a horrible taste so to put it in your mouth willingly ? not for me
Old 06-14-2016, 01:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hellorockview1 View Post
I went to my first ever meeting a couple years back with a friend who lived out in the mountains who gave me a pinch of Copenhagen for the meeting, and ever since then I associate dipping with going to meetings and even use dipping as an incentive to get my butt to a meeting. I notice that I am the only one dipping, but I am wondering if it is considered bad etiquette. I never use any clear receptacles and am as quiet with it as possible, but I'm sure people know what I am up to. As far as I am concerned smoking bans are for health related reasons so dip isn't a health issue for those around me. No one has ever said anything to me about it. What are your thoughts?
I think dipping is pretty nasty, addictive and just another substance that I don't want to be dependent on.

Used to do it. It's gross.

I'm always pretty disgusted by people doing it around me.

Just my $.02
Old 06-14-2016, 01:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I should clarify that I know it is a bad habit for my personal health. I appreciate your concern but I am strictly asking about etiquette. Since I am already dependent and going to use the dip at some point anyway whether it's at home or a meeting, the health side of it isn't really part of my question. Obviously I understand that it isn't good. My concern is "is it rude/obnoxious/disrespectful towards others/the group?"
Old 06-14-2016, 01:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

from an etiquette perspective; I don't think there is any formal practice or policy - but I think it's considerate to keep in mind that a lot of people find dipping and spitting offensive.

it can have a foul odor and if you're spitting into a can or bottle it can be visually offensive. if you're swallowing - then as you know you're doing even more damage to your body.

My thoughts - since you asked - see if you can't manage to go an hour without it when you're at meetings. I don't think that's a lot to ask when it comes to just generally being considerate to those around you.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I My concern is "is it rude/obnoxious/disrespectful towards others/the group?"
Yes it is.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You can try snus, it's just a small packet for the side of your mouth, it's very discrete vs. dip with having a huge wad.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's only bad etiquette if you don't offer to share the tabbaccoo with all the other group members attending the meeting. You should offer it to each one individually and then all share the same spittoon bottle to show commradiere. Otherwise it's bad etiquette, cause it's plain rude not to share right?
Old 06-14-2016, 05:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's nasty and rude. I have seen people take their dips out of their mouths with their fingers when they're done and then minutes later, hold someone's hand for the Serenity Prayer. Yuck.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

"is it rude/obnoxious/disrespectful towards others/the group?"

Yes from me, too.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If you have to ask if something is rude, then it probably is.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I do it. I dont care what anyone thinks about it. How is it rude when nobody can even know when im dipping?
Old 06-14-2016, 07:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
DOS: 08-16-2012

Anymore, most places simply have a no tobacco policy. If the building doesn't have a policy than it would be up to the group. I think it's generally frowned upon though so better to just not do it.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Considering the group I went to smoked up a storm at our meeting I don't think dip would be frowned upon. So different meetings will be different. They don't smoke during the meeting anymore.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Some habits in our group like a woman who cleans her fingernails and flicks it all over, a nose picker and a guy who cracks his fingers and toes constantly are just barely tolerable but snuff, as my dad called it (with his Folgers coffee can) ahh.... no no.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:41 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm just curious, so have you been part of the fellowship for two years now? Have you worked the steps?

The reason I ask is because although AA is about not drinking and drugging (staying sober) it's also about cultivating a spiritual life. My guess would be if you were living a spiritual life, and the fellowship was a part of it, you might have incentive to suck it up for an hour and stop that habit of chewing in meetings.

But I personally wouldn't be offended, unless you were sitting next to me. If you can't stop, then go in the back back where no one is and don't sit by anyone.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:26 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You could sit by me at any meeting. Just expect to share the Copenhagen with me. I prefer long cut.