Notices

Scared of admitting I have a problem...

Old 06-14-2016, 07:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared of admitting I have a problem...

Hi all, I feel like I am scared to admit I have a problem/not even sure I have a problem... but that probably means I do, right? I feel like I drink more than I would like to. I don't drink every day, and when I drink, I don't drink an obscene amount. But I feel very guilty about drinking and I always feel depressed after I drink. I've tried to quit drinking, even if it's just for a week or 2, or limit drinking to only social settings, and I can't seem to do it. My boyfriend doesn't drink, and I find myself hiding my drinking because I feel like I shouldn't be drinking.
Anyway, I want to quit drinking, for good. Limiting it in the past hasn't worked, so I just want to quit. There are a lot of alcoholics in my family, including both of my parents, so I just need to stop.
Any support is appreciated, because I really don't know what I'm doing.
Thank you so much.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, nme!

If alcohol is causing problems in your life, it's a good idea to quit. You are very fortunate your boyfriend doesn't drink. Read around and post often here, and get to an AA meeting if you still can't quit drinking.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and Welcome.

I'm sure you will find a ton of support here. Check in often!
Old 06-14-2016, 07:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks cold fusion, it is causing problems in my life, and you are right, I am lucky he doesn't drink! I need to try to limit my temptations or something which I'm not good at.
Thanks for your support.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Welcome nme13. Yep, if it's causing you problems and you come to a site like this it's best to nip it in the bud before it gets worse. And it does get worse with time.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It isn't the amount you drink, it's how it affects your life and how you feel about yourself.

Try another way...it isn't easy at first but it's worth it.

Welcome!
Old 06-14-2016, 08:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome........congrats on making the decision to explore the possibility that you may have a problem.
Great people here and lots of good info in the stickies above.
Best of luck!
Old 06-14-2016, 08:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that you recognize trying to moderate or control your drinking is not the way to go. Most of us here have tried that and ended up in a worse situation. I think it's important to remember that recovery is more than just stopping drinking. I had to look inward and deal with issues that I had buried for years in order to begin to recover. I hope that you continue to read and post.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I never did heed the warnings that my drinking was becoming a problem until it was too late. my parents are also alcoholics and drank every night when I was growing up so when I started drinking every day after work in my late 20's. I thought it was normal. By age 30, I was full-blown alcoholic, much worse than either parent. I spent the next 10 years drunk or terribly depressed when I wasn't drinking. Lost everything. I implore you not to ignore the warning signs and get help before the real problems start.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For me there was a weight that came with saying "I have a problem". If I said that, then I had to do something about it. While I didn't acknowledge it, normalizing drinking every day was easy.
You have power to acknowledge and choose...rock it
Old 06-14-2016, 10:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome nme. You've already taken the first step, it seems. Like many others have said, normal drinkers don't sit around wondering if they have a problem
Old 06-14-2016, 11:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice to meet you
Old 06-14-2016, 11:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all for being uplifting. I think you are right BrownBess, by acknowledging that I have a problem, i have to do something about it. I struggled with an eating disorder when I was younger (which is an addiction in itself) and when I acknowledged it was a problem, I decided to recover. I'm ready to quit, and I have been for a while. It's just saying "no" that I'm going to need to practice from now on. it's hard for me to do that in social settings mostly. When I see others enjoying drinking, I want to join in too. But I don't enjoy it. I feel like crap for doing it. So thank you all. I already feel like this will be a positive place for me to be.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You won't regret quitting. Admitting you have an issue is a huge step. You can use this forum as a great resource to remain sober. Welcome.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hello nme. I wish I would have realized when I was at the stage you are and quit then. It would have been so much easier. Good luck. You will find loads of support here at SR. Best Wishes.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by nme13 View Post
TIt's just saying "no" that I'm going to need to practice from now on. it's hard for me to do that in social settings mostly. When I see others enjoying drinking, I want to join in too.
I suggest you avoid occasions where alcohol is present...at least until you have acquired some sober time and are more confident about saying no.

I'm not suggesting being a hermit. There are plenty of thing to do that don't revolve around drinking. Find them. Do them.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Many of us cross addict. At the end of the day, for me, recovery was the only option. I had to find some way of finding peace with myself and dealing with life on life's terms without developing obsessive behaviours that were detrimental to my spiritual and mental health, and didn't end up in unmanageability. Thank God for the 12-step program.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
I suggest you avoid occasions where alcohol is present...at least until you have acquired some sober time and are more confident about saying no.

I'm not suggesting being a hermit. There are plenty of thing to do that don't revolve around drinking. Find them. Do them.
Yeah, I'm realizing I need to do this. I have a wedding coming up in 3 days, and I've already told my friend that I'm going with that i don't want to drink and told her why. She was very understanding which I wasn't expecting and she agreed to not drink too. That took a big weight off my chest. There is a "team building" activity for my work tomorrow and it's a brewery tour. Usually this is something I'd love to do. I've decided not to go however, and I think I will feel much better about not going. I know I can't go on a brewery tour and not drink. And I knew I couldn't go to a wedding and plan on not drinking if I didn't at least tell my friend that i wasn't going to drink. I'm moving out of state in a month to start school, and I think it will be a good, fresh start. I can let my new friends know that i don't drink, and that will be hard at first, but it really is something I want to do. I am really looking forward to being on this forum more for support. I'm realizing that drinking really isn't fun, and you don't miss much if you avoid social situations where people are getting trashed.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

by telling us you were afraid to admit you may have a problem, you admitted such. fear = 0, nme13. and so can go the rest of this journey.....it may SEEM scary to: post on line, go to a meeting, tell a friend you don't drink, etc.....but all you have to do is take the next step and you'll find you've walked right thru the fear.

protect your sobriety. pretend it's a winning lotto ticket, but if it gets "wet" all the numbers will disappear.