Sister addicted to Alcohol and Narcotics..HELP!

Old 06-14-2016, 04:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sister addicted to Alcohol and Narcotics..HELP!

My poor sister has been drinking since she was 14, she is now 51. In the last 6 years she has added pain killers, IE: Hydrocodone 10mg. What she does is she prefers the pills and gets those from her Dr. She is prescribed 120 a month of 10mg Hydrocodones. They are gone within 7-10 days. When she is out of pills she lies, cheats, steals, etc to get more from her family members that she knows takes them. If she can't get them that way she then starts drinking. She lives with her daughter, son in law and 2 yr old twin granddaughters. Her husband is a truck driver and is gone a lot. She locks herself in her bedroom all day and talks to no one. She drinks from 9am until she passes out in the early evening. She is a very MEAN drunk! She uses social media for that anger against her family because we have all stopped enabling her in any way.
I am extremely worried because now her health is an issue. Her skin is yellow, her hair looks like a broom, she is getting nose bleeds and her left arm is going numb as well as having black outs.
What we have done is this:
1) Baker Act-didn't work
2) Intervention-didn't work
3) Rehab-didn't work
We have been thinking of the Marchman Act but a counselor has told me that as long as she will not admit that she has a problem then nothing will work.
Do we have any more options? I know she is dying. Should we call her Dr office? What else can we do? I want her to go to counseling at the least and she won't even do that. Dr has ordered test and she won't do it because I think she is afraid of the outcome.
Any help will be appreciated. I want to know that I have done everything I can before this kills her. I am watching her die and it is extremely frustrating.
Thank You
Old 06-14-2016, 05:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Tell all of her doctors (in writing) exactly what she is up to -- killing herself.
MM
Old 06-14-2016, 05:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Unfortunately there is nothing more you can do except let her go, detach, and love her from afar. The only thing or person that can help her is HER. She must want it for herself. She will always find another doctor to go to or family member to steal from to get her pills. And buying booze is legal. The yellow skin his her liver no longer functioning properly. Hopefully she'll get to her rock bottom and WANT to get help before it's too late. Addiction sucks.