Notices

Ughh.. those 5 o'clock cravings

Old 06-13-2016, 01:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ughh.. those 5 o'clock cravings

Most days, I just wish I could bypass 5:00 and magically transport myself past the liquor store to my house and all of a sudden it is 8:00 my cravings have mostly passed and I'm settling down after another day sober. If only it were that easy...

I have felt the anxiety rising since about 3:00 and AV has been talking since about 2:00. I should be used to this by now as it is the usual M-F. Just trying to constantly repeat in my head that drinking is NOT an option, play the tape through and will literally play a meditation from an app I downloaded on the way home to try to calm the anxiety. And definitely pray!
Old 06-13-2016, 01:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

You are still early in recovery, It takes time to break the bad habit. Perhaps you can start a healthy habit like exercising after work.

Things will get better.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hate that feeling! Try and distract yourself, take a walk,clean something, drink ice water with lemon,a hot chocolate, eat! Eating seems to kill my craving fast😊
Old 06-13-2016, 02:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have you tried Urgesurfing ? that has helped ppl also lean on us were here for you bud
Old 06-13-2016, 04:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Can you re establish a new routine? Head to the gym, or pick up a cold drink from a coffee place? Maybe have something to eat right before you head out of work?
Old 06-13-2016, 04:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

You are fighting physical and mental addiction.

Hang in there for another week and you will only have to deal with the mental.

Eat a bunch of sweets, it tricks your brain.

Drink sweet seltzer or bloody mary mix.

Trick you brain.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had that at first. The habit is hard to break and you have to find other things to do to fill that void. The good news is, eventually you won't notice it's 5 o'clock -- or if you do, you won't think about drinking then.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am on Sober day 26 & I still get this around late afternoon. The other day I went to the Supermarket & entered one entrance & used to park near the far exit so I could hit the Liquor Store on the way home. Without even thinking I parked near that exit even though I was not going to the Liquor store.

My daughter lives with us & has a 10 month Puppy & I love to sit out in the backyard & play with her after work. Old routine was get a beer/glass of wine , new routine is a big glass of Seltzer & Crystal Light Strawberry Watermelon.

Hang in there things may change slowly but they will change for the better.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the great advice!

And Winslow, the idea of eating something definitely worked. I was hungry when I left work so I white knuckled it home. I ate as soon as I walked in the door and the cravings subsided a bit.

It was not easy, but happy I fought the craving and made it through the day sober I know every time I fight it it will get easier.

Thanks for the support!
Old 06-14-2016, 07:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, that was the hardest time of the day for me, too. I began to eat dinner earlier than usual and to get outside and walk a lot after dinner. Walking had so many benefits - it helped physically and mentally, I reconnected with my neighborhood and my neighbors and my husband often joined me which gave us some good conversation time.