Notices

Relapse Prevention

Old 06-13-2016, 01:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapse Prevention

I am having trouble finding websites, either SoberRecovery or elsewhere, on Relapse Prevention to help someone I care about in the early stages of recovery. Can anyone out there recommend links for me to forward on, as well as good book discussions? if so this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for any help you can give!

W.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Why not send them here? I would think interactive/community support would be far more helpful than static website content. Unless they are uncomfortable being on the same forum with a friend?
Old 06-13-2016, 01:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

I have to agree with Scott, I think that a interactive support would be better. I think each person needs a different approach to recovery.

The big thing is to be mindful of your thoughts, you relapse in your mind before you do in real life ... if that makes sense.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ditto the above. Send them here! You can't do this for them. That person needs to know what to do in the snap of a finger when those cravings hit. Many come here and post. Plus, tons of tools here and others in the exact same boat.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You misunderstand. They are "here". She is "here". I have posted for help on her website to no avail. See Aiko's website on SoberRecovery. Only one person has responded. I am trying to get help for her and only one person is helping me on her website so this is the only thing I can do. Why wait for a person to relapse to provide "interactive" help? Upset about this.

W.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Why not send them here? I would think interactive/community support would be far more helpful than static website content. Unless they are uncomfortable being on the same forum with a friend?

See my reply to this. My inquiry on Aiko's website would welcome your input.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Behappy1 View Post
Ditto the above. Send them here! You can't do this for them. That person needs to know what to do in the snap of a finger when those cravings hit. Many come here and post. Plus, tons of tools here and others in the exact same boat.
See my reply to this. My inquiry on Aiko's website would welcome your input.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I downloaded the big book app on my phone as well as have been doing alot of reading on the AA website and that has been helpful
Old 06-13-2016, 06:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I guess I do misinderstand, you were asking for websites to help a friend, but now say that Aiko has a website? I am confused.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
You misunderstand. They are "here". She is "here". I have posted for help on her website to no avail. See Aiko's website on SoberRecovery. Only one person has responded. I am trying to get help for her and only one person is helping me on her website so this is the only thing I can do. Why wait for a person to relapse to provide "interactive" help? Upset about this.

W.
Bill, I'm not sure what you mean by Aiko's Website on SoberRecovery. As far as I know, she is doing well.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Bill, I'm not sure what you mean by Aiko's Website on SoberRecovery. As far as I know, she is doing well.
Thanks, Anna, for responding. I was referring to Aiko's thread (Second Series) which does indeed indicate that she is progressing and has eleven days of recovery from benzo's. However, as you know, this is a crucial period for her, so early in recovery. It is the period of the "Pink Cloud" and often, even for those who have been sober for 28 days in rehab, they have a relapse (or "slip" they sometimes call it), right after they leave rehab. In many respects it is the most dangerous time of all. To increase the prospects of a relapse free recovery it is important to be aware of techniques to spot a coming relapse before it happens. So I was taught and so I did and, after my rehab period, I did not relapse. Aiko did not choose a rehab and this issue seemed especially important in her recovery. I am rather surprised that so many on the SoberRecovery forum seem to take the view that there is nothing to worry about until a relapse actually happens. If so, I must disagree with this from my own experience. Seven years of sobriety, Thirteen more of struggle with three relapses and three hospitalizations. Finally some guidance on how to anticipate a relapse and guard against it before it happens.

Bill
Old 06-13-2016, 07:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Bill,
i haven't seen the attitude here of anyone saying there's nothing to worry about until a relapse actually happens.
being here in itself speaks to the concept of wanting to prevent it and using places like SR for the daily interaction and engagement 2which is one tool in that effort and direction.

i can hear your concern for someone you care about, and how much you want to do whatever is in your power to do.
that there is a limit to your and anyone else's power to accomplish a no-relapse for some...that's a fact. we don't have that power.
i do know from experience the frustration of the "if only..." and having to step back at some point and accept i didn't have the power to prevent someone else's relapse.
it sounds like your own experience is a good guide you can share with this person, and i have no doubt you have pointed out the resources you know of. and since the person is here, they are able to access these same resources, links, book recommendations if they decide to put the effort in.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Bill, I like stuff I have read under the search 'mindfulness based relapse prevention'. Pretty sure you can take from here. If I can help direct you further, just pm, ok?

Best to you.