Notices

Weight Gain at nearly 90 day mark

Old 06-13-2016, 12:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weight Gain at nearly 90 day mark

I am now the largest I have ever been, and am feeling really depressed. I thought quitting the bottle of wine every evening would translate to weight loss - my diet has not changed and I really don't eat all that much. What the heck?!
Old 06-13-2016, 01:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Might not be a bad idea to check with your doc on that one Madgirl, lots of possiblities. Your diet may not have changed but it may also not be a healthy one, have you ever kept track of how many calories you eat each day? Exercise is also important, do you do any regular exercise of any kind?
Old 06-13-2016, 01:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ive been physically active for 17 years and to give you an idea - it is nearly 4:30 pm where Im at and so far the only thing Ive eaten is a banana and a few La Croix
Old 06-13-2016, 01:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ive gone up four (!!!!) sizes in three months and look more bloated now than when I was drinking. A new wardrobe is not an option.. Grrrrrrr
Old 06-13-2016, 01:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If its 4:30 and you've only had a banana and St.Croix you're not getting enough calories and your body is probably in starvation mode holding on to every fat cell in your body,eat some protein😊
Old 06-13-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Scott & Winslow have valid points I agree with also congratulations on your upcoming 90 days
Old 06-13-2016, 03:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Eat more, eat clean, keep moving. Drink more (water).

~Bunnez
Old 06-13-2016, 05:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your 90 days!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-13-2016, 05:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Same here. I am approaching 60 days. Look prego
Old 06-13-2016, 09:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

First, great job on the 90 days!!! Re your weight gain, I think you should see your doctor. Something doesn't add up here. Initially I lost weight but have gained some back because I'm eating every carton of ice cream within 100 miles. But if your diet has remained the same and you've gained 4 sizes, there's something going on.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Have your thyroid checked...alcohol can wreak significant havoc on those hormones.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well firstly congratulations on 90 days! That's so fantastic and you should be very proud of yourself. Secondly I agree you should see your dr just to rule out any thyroid issues or other common causes of weight gain.
I'd also try a 'clean' diet. You're body is in repair mode and needs excellent nutrition to help each and every little cell rebuild and recover. Only one banana and some la croix by 4:30 pm will put your body in starvation mode and slow the metabolism. Eat vegetables, fruits and good sources of protein. Avoid packaged, processed foods. You can google the clean diet for recipes and ideas.
And yes, stay active even if it's just walking. I gained weight too when I first quit drinking. It was so frustrating because I was active and thought I had a good diet, wasn't getting all those empty alcohol calories anymore.
After the first few months my weight started to shift for the better and at a year my metabolism seemed to normalize and I had lost the weight. Our bodies are all different though in how they handle recovery.
Don't give up, eat healthy nutritious food, and stay active. I'd rather be overweight than go back to waking up bloated, red faced and hungover yet again ever again.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Im not going to drink. I am just frustrated to feel and look like this at 90 days - had hoped for something else.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I can only imagine how discouraging this must be for you! Definitely get it checked out.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

For sure get your thyroid and hormones checked out, often times if those are out of whack, they can cause sudden weight gain. Also like mentioned, starving yourself can cause some quick weight loss, but over time your body switches over to holding onto everything. Make sure you are getting a proper diet and that should help as well.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by madgirl View Post
Im not going to drink. I am just frustrated to feel and look like this at 90 days - had hoped for something else.
Expectations are a bitch. I've only been sober 42 (?) days and I've gained 6 lbs...well I've now lost two but I had gained that. I know I don't have any underlying physical issues so its simply that I've been eating too much. I exercise like a mad woman, but for me its all about what I eat. The exercise supports healthy weight but does nothing for weight loss for this 50+ woman.

Under eating is really bad for the metabolism. I suggest looking into different ways of eating (Ketogenic, Paleo, etc) and maybe cut out some foods that can cause sluggish digestion like dairy and processed food (all processed food). Use an app like my fitnesspal to track everything that goes into your mouth. I'm known for 'unconscious' eating....eating while I'm cooking and while I'm cleaning up...pre and post eating. Eat as many leafy greens as you can....that should be the bulk of your diet. Good sources of proteins and fats.

Like others have said, get the blood workup to check the thyroid and hormones. But don't have expectations that you'll have any issues. I've been there too Be kind to yourself and certainly don't starve. I have noticed, by using my fitnesspal, that when I don't enough, I make up for it the next day. Figure out how many calories you need to loose the weight you've gained. For me its 1200 calories a day and I burn about 600...so yeah, its tough. Hang in there.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Nutrition is SO important for us, like everyone has said. It took me awhile to really get this.

I needed to gain about 10-12 lbs when I quit (113 days ago) and have gained abt 15 (I don't weigh myself but I know from how my clothes fit). Don't like it at all but am trying to push through - I am also going to get an update on my thyroid; we have changed my synthroid level over the 4-5 yrs since I was dx and I have been both hypo and hyper. This indeed is a condition that can effect our weight. I also need to kick my ice cream habit- that jumped in about 60 days or a little earlier.

You don't mention sleep - that is another huge factor in our weight and overall health.

Regarding diet- I am trying really hard to "listen and follow" what my body wants. If I want a turkey burger instead of a salad for lunch, I follow through; if I want a larger breakfast of greek yogurt with berries and cereal mixed in, I do it; if I really don't want anything, I still eat some fruit or a couple slices of turkey. One other thing I do is try to get at least "one color" at each meal, and avoid eating all white (bread, simple carbs and such) - meaning strawberries with that yogurt, greens and another color with a salad, a side of sauteed vegs with whatever my dinner protein is....feel like it helps me cover my nutritional bases.

Have you had all bloodwork done? Many of us were anemic when we stopped drinking, low on potassium or magnesium, lots of stuff that impacts health and weight.

Hang in there! You got 90 days and can keep going! Tweaks, my friend, as you keep going.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I hope you make appointment with your Doctor.
This is best way to start out.
This way you have knowledge to make right decisions.

As other's have said... a healthy diet with proper calorie intake and lots of water can be a good start. Do a google search... tons of info on eating right.

Also, take a nice 30-45 min walk every day or every other day (if you are not doing exercise) already.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:32 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the good responses. I have clothes hanging in my closet ranging from (US) size 4 - size 10, with the 10 being my absolute max and Im in those 10s. Not going to buy new wardrobe so my rule diet wise is "if I cant read it (ingredients) I don't eat it"
Only liquid I drink is plain water, unsweetened tea or La Croix. Today Ive had a banana and a handful of grapes - may hit the salad bar at publix for lettuce and veggies, no dressing.
It's just - UGH. I miss pleasure. I don't miss hangovers/drama/insanity, but I do miss pleasure
Old 06-14-2016, 09:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

And exercise feels good and can reshape the "look" of your body (tone) and help with weight loss, but it is mostly diet