High alert - maybe too high

Old 06-13-2016, 09:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

High alert - maybe too high

I am happy alone and am really fulfilled at the moment - let alone pretty protective of my time, and I've been dating a bit. I've ended things with a few guys - none of them were anything even remotely serious. I am having fun and excising "letting them go" when I get an inkling that they aren't right for me. It's been good practice and maybe I am getting too good at dumping and letting some good guys go - but oh well...I need the practice I am not super comfortable or confident in my decisions regarding new people in my life and based on gut feelings, but I'm getting there.

I've gone on 2 dates with a cute cowboy - completely opposite of me - I hate horses (it's ok, they hate me too) and I'm a metal / rock kid and like a total of 3 country songs (just because they are about fishing.)

Hes fun, sweet, chivalrous and kind. I got in his truck Friday and noticed a pile of crumpled cans under the back seat and immediately thought welp, Firebolt - you will pay for half of dinner, and then gracefully end the night with "I don't think we're it, but thank you."

That last line ran through my head all through a really fun dinner (where neither of us drank alcohol.)

Then we got back in the truck to leave and I scoped the cans again.

Arizona tea.

Haha

At least I am not ignoring red flags anymore....

But I don't know if busting out the magnifying glass and microscope looking for them is such a great thing either. There HAS to be a happy medium. I would love to think that if I end up at his house one day, I won't go searching through his fridge and freezer for evidence...
Old 06-13-2016, 09:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think that's great awareness you have going on there, Fire Friend.

It takes a lot to be able to see yourself so clearly that you also see when you are overreacting. (I hope you actually LOL'd at yourself when it happened.)

That darn middle ground can be SO difficult to find/stay balanced on! It's more unrecognizable to me than the extremes of over & underreacting and I never want my past experiences to make me so jaded that I automatically assume the worst in every situation or draw negative energy into my life by expecting it/making room for it.

So, hmmmmm... a cowboy, eh???
Old 06-13-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm summoning my best Dixie Chicks and belting out "cowboy take me away"....FB, google it-I know you don't have a clue what in talking about
Old 06-13-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I won't go searching through his fridge and freezer for evidence...
Don’t forget the medicine cabinet – that’s a very important place to check to!!! Hahahahaha

I think its good you are working on finding that middle ground to stand on and get comfortable with but most importantly I see that letting go of what doesn’t feel right has become a good habit for you.

Have fun dating!!!!
Old 06-13-2016, 09:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It takes a lot to be able to see yourself so clearly that you also see when you are overreacting. (I hope you actually LOL'd at yourself when it happened.)

That darn middle ground can be SO difficult to find/stay balanced on! It's more unrecognizable to me than the extremes of over & underreacting and I never want my past experiences to make me so jaded that I automatically assume the worst in every situation or draw negative energy into my life by expecting it/making room for it.
I did LOL at myself! And considered quitting my job to start a Private Investigation company...seems I'd be good at it!

The middle ground is impossible for me it seems. I feel like i'm just always walking a fence line not knowing which site I *should* be on. Which side is *right*. ...and with zero understanding of why one is more right than the other. I don't want to be too judgey of others....then realizing i am being judgey of myself for being too judgey or not judgey enough. What a paradox. And I am at a loss of how "right for them" comes so naturally to healthy people!!

So, hmmmmm... a cowboy, eh???
Right?! I live in MT and have never dated a cowboy.....

Change is good
Old 06-13-2016, 09:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This all sounds perfectly normal, reasonable and healthy to me, FB...though it's a little personally disquieting to me that he didn't clean that crap out of his back seat before picking you up.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

FB, google it-I know you don't have a clue what in talking about
Bahaha - I did google it - and you are correct, I had no idea, but it sounds familiar... YEE HAW

FB...though it's a little personally disquieting to me that he didn't clean that crap out of his back seat before picking you up
Right?! - maybe shoving them under the seat was his version of cleaning them up..
Old 06-13-2016, 09:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

fb, some time ago I read about how the autopilot on an airplane works. It locks onto a heading and then continually makes small corrections to stay on course. It is NOT static. It is NOT rigid and unchanging. It overshoots in one direction, then fixes that by overshooting in another direction. But all in all, the end result is that the plane gets to where it's going. I think you're just looking closely at your autopilot during one of its course corrections...

Old 06-13-2016, 10:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
fb, some time ago I read about how the autopilot on an airplane works. It locks onto a heading and then continually makes small corrections to stay on course. It is NOT static. It is NOT rigid and unchanging. It overshoots in one direction, then fixes that by overshooting in another direction. But all in all, the end result is that the plane gets to where it's going. I think you're just looking closely at your autopilot during one of its course corrections...
Love, love, love this, thank you!!!
Old 06-13-2016, 10:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Chills. Haha - it there an Overshooters Anonymous meeting somewhere?!

Thank you HP....and that makes 4 country songs I know.