Notices

Back and hopeful but with terrible track record

Old 06-13-2016, 07:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back and hopeful but with terrible track record

I haven't been here for a while. I have gotten about 4 -5 days and then I give in to the craving that overwhelms me. I plan to use some mindful meditation when it hits again. My experience has been that it can last for hours and seem interminable. I know people say it is only 20 minutes but that has not been my experience. I think if I can focus on my breath and body ( going to try tapping-- you see I am getting desperate to try anything) and just hold out for the evening-- where I can binge netflix, get on here and blog. Maybe I can get through it. Also my therapist (sober 30 years) thinks I should "sit with my feelings" and possibly write about them. This is the new plan-- calling people and going to meeting-- contrary actions have not helped. Also I get really triggered at meetings if people talk about how much they miss drinking. I feel like I am whining, but am just asking what you guys think of this plan and if you have any suggestions. Thanks for being here!!!
Old 06-13-2016, 07:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you are going to a meeting where people talk about how much they miss drinking, then you are going to the wrong meeting IMHO. Finding a different meeting might be a good idea. John
Old 06-13-2016, 07:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you're going to meetings on a regular schedule ( I find schedules to be important...not just attending a meeting here and there), seeing a therapist, learning to practice mindfulness and incorporating anxiety relieving techniques that's a good start. Exercise and healthy diet help too. And yes, ya gotta ride out the cravings and get past 5 days. The first 30 days can be tough but getting through them is important to establish a foundation. My drinking required effort, so does not drinking.

Have you considered volunteering for service at your meeting? Just making coffee, setting up or cleaning up can provide additional accountability.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by jesshonesty View Post
Also my therapist (sober 30 years) thinks I should "sit with my feelings" and possibly write about them.
I agree with this. Try to remember that the feelings and just feelings. They don't control you. You can feel them and then, let them go.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

You might find Dees' thread helpful about urge surfing , lots to try yet don't give up
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html