Notices

Newcomer - Opiate Withdrawal

Old 06-12-2016, 06:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer - Opiate Withdrawal

Hey Guys -

I just wanted to say that I've browsed these forums for a while now and you all have finally gave me the courage to get clean before it's too late. Thank you and for all that you do. What a community this is.

As for me, I was the textbook case of getting meds for a surgery, taking them, and then proceeding to get them legally for pain management. I feel a little silly posting this as my current intake of opiates is no where near that of others, but I'm hoping someone can give me a little help because it's really running me down.

Timeline

2 Months of 20-30 mg daily Hydro
1 Month Break (No withdrawal)
2 Months of 40-50 mg daily Hydro
2 Months of 40-60 mg daily Oxy
1 Week Break (First 3 days sucked, then I seemed to feel ok)
1 Month of 60-80 mg daily Hydro
6 Days no opiates (I feel horrible, brain fog is by far the worst)

So that's where I'm at today. I feel like I've made great progress with reading support from these forums and I can get up and move around, but, I have zero focus and my brain feels like goo. During lunch, I'm eating properly, but it's a very weird feeling of being hungry while also feeling like I need to throw up at the same time.

My question is, has anyone else experienced something similar? Is it normal for brain fog to last for this long even after I had relatively no issues after a couple days just a month ago? Does it make sense what I'm describing on being hungry, but at the same time sick to my stomach. I can usually wake up feel fine for about an hour or two and then just slide into awfulness that is what I'm guessing is still acute withdrawal. My biggest concern is that I started getting this brain fog before I started detoxing so I'm not real sure what to think.

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thank you guys!

EDIT: I should add I'm using the Thomas Recipe minus benzos.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome! I'm glad you're working on your recovery and I hope you feel better soon.

We cannot give any kind of medical advice though, so I wonder if you've talked to the dr who prescribed the medication for you?
Old 06-12-2016, 06:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, Anna.

I completely understand, sorry about that. I was just more curious if anyone remembered going through this specific phase of withdrawal. I think I was seeking reassurance as my mind is going crazy.

My doctor has been out of the office, but I will certainly check with him when he returns.

Thanks again!
Old 06-12-2016, 07:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Has anything else changed in your daily routine?

This won't be of much help to you, but I just quit taking oxycodone that I had been taking for 1 year. Rarely more than 40mg per day, tapered gently for a couple months, got sick of taking pills and quit. Had 2 days of feeling "different" and then normal. I felt very lucky considering some of the stories I've read.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the input thomas11.

Nothing has changed that I can think of other than just cold-turkeying. I have either taken Valium or Neurontin each day of detox, however. Today I haven't taken anything so we'll see how I'm doing tomorrow. It does help to hear stories. I think that may be where I'm at right now just feeling "different" while my brain heals.

Thanks again!
Old 06-12-2016, 08:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Prindin, you may already know this but the nickname for Neurontin is "morontin", people taking often feel brain fog (it could also be causing the nausea). Benzos like Valium also contribute to brain fog. I think you'll start to feel better when you're completely drug free, keep going, you're doing great!
Old 06-12-2016, 09:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

I was on neurotin for my migraine headache prevention. I couldn't tolerate half of a pediatric dose. I would sit down and fall asleep. Everyone is different obviously.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the support guys! I did hear a lot of people call Neurontin, Morontin. I had only taken it for a couple of days, but I guess that could be enough, huh? I haven't taken anything today and will let you know how I'm doing tomorrow.

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2016, 02:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Prinidin
Old 06-13-2016, 07:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Prinidin View Post
Thanks for the input thomas11.

Nothing has changed that I can think of other than just cold-turkeying. I have either taken Valium or Neurontin each day of detox, however. Today I haven't taken anything so we'll see how I'm doing tomorrow. It does help to hear stories. I think that may be where I'm at right now just feeling "different" while my brain heals.

Thanks again!
Do you take Valium daily? I only ask because I've read some real horror stories about benzo withdrawal. Worse than opiate withdrawal, and longer. Hang in there, people like us probably don't want to be on pain medication for the remainder of our lives, correct?
Old 06-13-2016, 05:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Do you take Valium daily? I only ask because I've read some real horror stories about benzo withdrawal. Worse than opiate withdrawal, and longer. Hang in there, people like us probably don't want to be on pain medication for the remainder of our lives, correct?
Hey Thomas -

I don't take Valium daily and fortunately that's a drug I have no want to abuse as I never got recreational value out of it. I'm a nervous public speaker so I just happened to have some to help me through the initial phase of withdrawal.

I felt a little better today other than getting about 5 hours of sleep due to a late night at work. It's hard to tell if I've been foggy due to lack of sleep (5 is not a lot for me), or if it's still part of the withdrawal. It just seems like once evening hits is when the anxiety goes haywire. All I want right now is to start drinking or take a pill. The good news is I don't have any opiates and I've also abstained from alcohol since I quit the hydros. It's going to be a long road and I can see myself sticking around these forums. I share your sentiment on not taking painkillers for the rest of our lives.

Thanks for checking in.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

It is very normal to feel off when detoxing off of opiates.

My $0.02 - if you aren't prescribed medications, (like gabapentin or valium), then don't take them.

It took me quite a while to feel normal after quitting. It really doesn't matter what drugs we used, but to qualify, I was using painkillers, benzos, and alcohol. Painkillers were the primary DOC.

There are no magic methods to make withdrawal and the months of feeling "not quite right" go faster or not happen. But it does pass.

Quitting is easy. Staying clean is difficult. Dealing with life and the noise inside our heads is extremely hard. - NA worked for me.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm glad you are still here Prinidin -
Old 06-13-2016, 07:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice IvanMike. At this point I can see I'll need some positive reinforcement and this is a great place. I may look at some local meetings as well.

Thanks to you also soberclover, for caring.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

How are you today Primidin?
Old 06-15-2016, 06:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey Thomas -

Little by little I feel like I'm improving. I'm having a lot of difficulty sleeping at the moment, but I would say my acute withdrawal is nearing the end. Now comes the hard part!

I appreciate you checking on me. It's nice to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:47 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The sleeping issue will get better over time. I'm glad you are feeling stronger! I suggest making your home a safe space; get rid of any drug/alcohol "stuff".
Old 06-15-2016, 04:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks soberclover. You are definitely right. I've noticed a craving for alcohol as I've stopped the opiates and have drank a few nights. Certainly don't want to replace one problem with another.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing well, Prinidin.