Notices

I'm new I need help to not drink

Old 06-11-2016, 11:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm new I need help to not drink

I am starting a new job. I lost my job in January. Life has been hard. I moved in with my parents. Mom ant stand my drinking. I need to quit. Please help!
Old 06-11-2016, 11:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, Sobermitty! It's good to have you with us at SR. The good news is that there is hope! You can change. There are lots of tools you can use including this forum. I drank hard for about 25 years before I stopped, and my life had become a waking nightmare. AVRT worked for me, and it's not an exaggeration to say it saved my life. It might help you, too.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey you. I'm glad you are reaching out for help. My question is can you stand your drinking? Who do you want to be? I know for me that my decision to quit was a realization that I was not "handling" it. If you realize you're not handling it you might wanna hang out on this sight. Even if you're not ready, hang out anyway. I go to AA but there are other groups, secular groups, rehabs...what's important is that it works for you. You can do this.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome
Old 06-12-2016, 06:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi there and welcome. Life is hard for an active alcoholic. Of course, I chose that life...and I can choose to make life easier by quitting. Being out of work and living at home can have a silver lining. You have no responsibilities right now and can focus on recovery. Have you thought of a support group? Or detox/rehab?
Old 06-12-2016, 09:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Quitting is easy. Staying quit is a formidable challenge. Spend lots of time on this forum, it will help you with ideas on how to remain sober. Ask questions from people that have a lot of sober time. Most everyone is here to help. Welcome to SR.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AA Member

go to a meeting everyday

follow the directions

Why all this insistence that every A.A. must hit bottom first? The answer is that few people will sincerely try to practice the A.A. program unless they have hit bottom. For practicing A.A.'s remaining eleven steps means the adoption of attitudes and actions that almost no alcoholic who is still drinking can dream of taking. Who wishes to be rigorously honest and tolerant? Who wants to confess his faults to another and make restitution for harm done? Who cares anything about a Higher Power, let alone meditation and prayer? Who wants to sacrifice time and energy in trying to carry the A.A.'s message to the next sufferer? No, the average alcoholic, self-centered in the extreme, doesn't care for this prospect - unless he has to do these things in order to stay alive himself.

Old 06-12-2016, 10:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Sobermitty!!
Old 06-12-2016, 10:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am also newish here

Hello there. I have quit two days ago. I understand how hard it is at first. because I am giving it another go. the shakes ,delusion, anxiety. However, if you drink again, then you'll have to repeat it. you don't want to repeat this. Stay strong, try to relax in any way possible. if it get too bad get someone to help you or take you to doctor.
Pulling for ya, we're all in this together.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!!
Old 06-12-2016, 10:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. The best advice I ever got on staying sober was that I had to want to be sober more than I wanted to drink.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Rar

Welcome Sobermitty. You've come to a great place. Everyone here has gone through a Day 1 - most of us more than once. Why not establish a Day 1 for yourself? We're here to support and encourage you.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to meet you, Sobermitty. Talking things over really helps. You're never alone.