Notices

Hello

Old 06-09-2016, 02:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool Hello

I ran across this site and thought I might try to reach out. I have been married to my husband for 43 years. My husband has been an alcoholic for many years. Recently he fell in the bathtub and broke his back. He had surgery and had to wear a brace for 3 months after being in the hospital flat on his back for several weeks through detox. His brace is finally off and he has started drinking again. Every day I wake up and think this is going to be the day. Of course it sometimes is and sometimes isn't. He was sober for 6 days and now he's drinking again. I am an active happy person who hoped we could enjoy retirement together. Now I feel like we are just waiting for one of us to die. Thoughts?
Old 06-09-2016, 02:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, EShirley. Welcome to SR. There is a Friends and Family section you may want to check out.
I've never had a significant other who was an alcoholic so I've never walked in your shoes.
I'm curious: during his 6 days sober, did he express any desire to remain sober or was he biding his time until he could drink again?
Look around this site - it is full of great info and even greater people willing to lend you support and help.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome eshirley - I'm so sorry you're going through this awful time. As FLCamper said - the Friends & Family forum is helpful too. Many will understand how it feels to deal with this situation.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome & sorry about your husband
Old 06-09-2016, 11:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, eshirley! I'm very glad that you found us here. I'm sorry for what you're going through. Have you discussed the drinking with your husband? After so long of drinking it has probably been a source of problems for decades but not everyone wants to confront the issue.

Just as a starter you might want to look at Al-anon. It's for the family of addicts. They might be able to help you, no matter what your husband does.