Notices

Why am I so needy????!!!

Old 06-08-2016, 11:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why am I so needy????!!!

Why do I crave so much attention when I'm drinking? I'm embarrassingly needy and I hate myself more for it.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

This sounds like a reat question to explore with a therapist. It's entirely possible that this is a situation that needs to be addressed in your sober life as well.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Rather than ask that question why not look for the answer in sobriety
Old 06-09-2016, 05:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think that's pretty common. Alcohol lowers inhibitions, big time, so often times buried feelings/emotions that are under check when sober, come screaming out when drunk. Of course they are always warped and misdirected but I believe that the core feeling is repressed in there somewhere. Oh the crazy things I do when drunk!

My guess is you need connection and nurturing, maybe don't know how to get it unless you're drunk. And then ya probably still don't get it because who wants to hang around a needy drunk? As Soberwolf said, the answer to that question can probably be answered while you're sober. Learning to connect in a healthy way, and asking for my needs to be met, is really tough for me. I relate.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Totally common and a lot of people still seek tons of attention in sobriety as well. I see young women all dressed up in tight outfits just working the room at AA meetings. I think it boils down to how we feel about ourselves in the inside. The steps really helped me become comfortable with who I am....not constantly trying to seek validation from others.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Been there done that. At times alcohol made me into a needy, emotional, sobbing mess. The great news is that with sobriety I am gaining back my self esteem and gaining more control over my emotions. Win win!
Old 06-09-2016, 09:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AA Member

my selfish, self centered nature is my main problem

I'm an extreme example of self will run riot

self - me me me
will - my thinking
run - moving quickly downhill
riot - out of control

just like my drinking was out of control ...

... my thinking always and only about myself is out of control

Old 06-09-2016, 09:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

In my case, I drank alone. I grew to alienate myself so that I could drink and not be bothered. I am a social person by nature, so this alienation took me to not good places.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree with Soberwolf on this one. Ask the same question as you strive to get sober. You will probably find you don't have the same problem the longer you stay sober.

I have definitely become more independent with sobriety.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I did a lot of drinking alone and when I was sufficiently intoxicated and feeling good, I would start texting or Facebooking people. I was certainly looking for attention. I would make up stories about things I was up to in life to cover up for the fact I was drunk, alone on my couch. I realize that this attention seeking behaviour is driven by the loneliness that many alcoholics deal with after pushing people away.

I still cringe at the many asinine drunken messages I have sent out in my desperate plea for attention.