Notices

Anxiety relentless

Old 06-08-2016, 09:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety relentless

This is the first time I've reached day 6 and still felt crippled by anxiety. It's a constant burn and I feel it with every breath.

I want to talk to my psychiatrist about Ativan but I don't want to appear to be "looking" for a pill.

I don't think I can take another day of this ever present tight chested, nervous, anxiety riddled sorrow.

Nothing is helping. Not diet, not breathing exercises, not any of my "plan"

I'm exhausted by this.

Feeling pretty desperate and no time to sleep it off because too much work to catch up on.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know my terrible anxiety improves if I drink a lot of water and try to stay away from caffeine. Alcohol withdrawals can be horrible and I remember having crippling anxiety during my withdrawals. Hope you feel better. Congrats on 6 days.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Water, one very important thing I have learned at SoberRecovery is that benzo addiction is extremely dangerous. I think Ativan is good for a week or so for alcohol withdrawal, but any longer than that it will likely increase anxiety.

Alcohol withdrawal and lack of sleep can increase anxiety, so I would focus on working through those issues.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Do you think talking to someone might help ie counseling or cbt sessions ?
Old 06-08-2016, 10:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I find that sugar and caffeine increases my anxiety, you might want to see if you react that way too.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes my anxiety is also way worse if I have too much caffeine. I also seem to get very edgy when I haven't eaten anything for a long time.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh man. My anxiety was SO BAD in the beginning. Clonidine might be an option for you...its a blood pressure medication but it works on anxiety and is not addictive like benzos. I know a lot of people in recovery who take it and have luck with it. I'm not a doctor though....maybe you should call your PCP?

Also, water, good food and exercise help!
Old 06-08-2016, 02:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Look up 'Tapping' aka Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) if you don't already know about it x
Old 06-08-2016, 02:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have GAD and PTSD so I hear ya with respect to anxiety.

Pls be very careful using any benzo to treat anxiety. They are very addictive and only to be used for a few days if absolutely necessary. Since you're on day 6 you're probably out of the woods with respect to dangerous withdrawal issues but see your dr if you're concerned. Alcoholics easily cross addict to benzos because, simply put, they are alcohol in pill form. Read around about benzo withdrawal. Brutal stuff.

Do you exercise? Do yoga? Both help me tremendously.

Hang in there and allow yourself to be, instead of do.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

Water, I had an evening where anxiety almost drove me crazy. I have anxiety still but not as bad as that day. I understand about not being able to do anything to ease it. I hope you start feeling better soon.
Pills might be a fix to it....but I wonder since you mentioned working so hard if that is part of the problem - the stress of feeling the world on your shoulders while trying to stay sober. Is there any way that you could get a day off for a breather or something?
Sending calm vibes your way