Notices

What's a great PAWS timeline link

Old 06-07-2016, 04:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Chances

What's a great PAWS timeline link

Hi,

I know heaps about what PAWS was/is for me being 60 weeks and I've read a bit about others
but
I want to find a good internet site that describes a lot of the symptoms and the long term average timeline. (Authored by a medical or qualified researcher)

Anyone know something like this.

Thanks
Old 06-07-2016, 04:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Rehab told me it's about a month for every year I drank.

Let us know when you find this website, everyone is different.....
Old 06-07-2016, 07:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't put much faith in timelines because PAWS varies so much from one person to the next depending on such an enormous variety of factors.

I still have vestiges of PAWS-type symptoms at over 3 years sober, and I drank alcoholically for just 12 years, so that's one timeline theory out the window.

I do believe in a correlation between kindling (repeated withdrawals increasing one's susceptibility to severe withdrawal complications) and the duration and severity of PAWS one is likely to experience.

One thing is for sure -- it's a self-limiting condition, meaning that it WILL get better eventually as long as you remain abstinent.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Andante View Post
I don't put much faith in timelines because PAWS varies so much from one person to the next depending on such an enormous variety of factors.

One thing is for sure -- it's a self-limiting condition, meaning that it WILL get better eventually as long as you remain abstinent.
This is a sound post which I agree with based on the large number of times i binged sobered up binged sobered up . Im not a long time on SR but have 40 years of experience at trying to get sober . I would try not to focus too much on what to expect .
Old 06-07-2016, 09:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by ChancesAh View Post
I want to find a good internet site that describes a lot of the symptoms and the long term average timeline. (Authored by a medical or qualified researcher)
No such site exists to my knowledge. PAWS isn't really even a "disease" or "condtion" that is recognized by the medical or psychiatric community, it's really just a collection of symptoms that come and go for people after acute withdrawal.

It's an oft debated topic around here, and really the best solution is to simply take care of yourself physically, mentally and spiritually. That can help lessen the occurrence and severity of any symptoms that might fall into the "PAWS" category.

Last edited by ScottFromWI; 06-07-2016 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

My PAWS is better than last month, and so on.

Physically and mentally, i am like Superman compared to the depth of pathetic squalor i was in at some point during my drinking days.

Since i was drunk for over 13 years straight, longest break being about 27 days, i figure my brain was/is/will remain pretty jacked up.

Yay....but it does get better everyday.

Thanks.