Notices

Happy Sober Monday and a thought on Mental Imagery

Old 06-06-2016, 08:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Happy Sober Monday and a thought on Mental Imagery

Happy Sober Monday all! I don't know about you, but Mondays were awful. Every Sunday I would say,"well, day drinking is okay, since I have time to sleep it off". Monday would hit and I felt like I'd been dragged under a freight train. And you can't bang in on a Monday because, well THATS obvious! Can't let the coworkers knew I'm a high functioning alcoholic!. So, off to the bagel store for some carbs to mop up the misery and struggle to hide the shakes. Yeah, great times.

Anyway, I digress. I wanted to share a little something that helped me a bit. You may know how athletes visualize their success - whether it's a play, or an at bat, or a sprint to the finish ... they play it over and over until it becomes tangible and real. This mental imagery helps them to plan the play until it's sharp and helps the confidently execute it.

What about if we did that? Visualize not just your life without alcohol - to me, that's a a little too lofty and vague. I visualize real detail - walking past that liquor store, into a restaurant, at dinner with my boss, and really think about what I'm going to feel and how I'm going to counter it. I imagine the the smell of the store and saying, "why am I looking, I dont drink" ..... or my boss saying, "would you like a glass of wine", and me saying, "no thank you, I don't drink". I rehearse the scenarios often and with detail so it's my visualization of my winning play.

Now, I am no sports psychologist so please research this for a better explanation.

How do you plan for thechallenging moments?

Happy almost Tuesday! Off to bed to get up early and run! Nice not being hungover