Notices

Would you marry an alcoholic?

Old 06-06-2016, 02:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Would you marry an alcoholic?

I am engaged to an alcoholic. He gets alcohol withdrawal seizures. We have been together for 2 years now. He has been an alcoholic for 7.

3 months ago, I quit on our relationship and moved out. Since then, he has tried quitting multiple times and failed and have had 2 seizures.
Getting over him has been exhausting and so I decided to give him another chance. He has bought a breathalyzer and he texts me his test result every 6-8 hours or whenever I ask. He said he will go to therapy again and also take medications if that will increase our chances to get back together. I am scared of going back to him. But I am also terrified of being away from him because I love him. Would you marry an alcoholic?
Old 06-06-2016, 02:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hoping, why don't you come and read on the Friends and Family of Alcoholics forum?

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

I think you will find a lot of relevant information there.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Do you want to marry an alcoholic? Can you have a trusting and honest relationship based on multiple daily breathalyzer tests? I hope your boyfriend decides to stop drinking and I hope that you seek support for yourself. We have a forum for Friends & Families on this board and you might also look into AlAnon.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for directing me to
Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 06-06-2016, 02:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

For me, I would not marry an alcoholic or a woman who's in recovery. It hits too close to home.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's like asking me if I'd marry me, or get in a relationship with me between 2009- and 2015. The answer would be a resounding NO.
While I may have had some redeeming qualities (loving, loyal, yada yada) none of them would have been enough to get me to marry me.
We can't choose who we love, that's true. We can choose how we decide to be in their lives.
best of luck to you
Old 06-06-2016, 04:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No, having grown up with one as parent, become one myself,
and now married to one
NO
NO
NO
Old 06-06-2016, 04:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm an alcoholic and I wouldn't marry me....
Old 06-06-2016, 04:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's a hard question to answer, but I'd definitely take some time...in fact a lot of time! Like Anna said, get yourself some support and he can work on his sobriety. If it were me, I'd make sure he had a number of years of sobriety under his belt before considering an engagement.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I would never marry an alcoholic in active addiction.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Whether or not I would marry an alcoholic is immaterial. Would you marry an alcoholic?

I'm not asking to be a smartass, but that is at the root of the question.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

No, I would not. Having been a slave to alcohol myself, I know how far down it can drag you, and I would not choose to watch someone destroying their life with drinking.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I close gf of mine married a recovered alcoholic. Their wedding was dry. They met in church. Still happy after years of marriage. So, it depends.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

it would take a special alcoholic. in truth, it would depend how well I could protect my property from her in potential Divorce. I don't plan to reproduce.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by justbrowsing View Post
I close gf of mine married a recovered alcoholic. Their wedding was dry. They met in church. Still happy after years of marriage. So, it depends.
An alcoholic in solid recovery is a different matter . Still don't think I'd marry me....
Old 06-06-2016, 07:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLife90 View Post
I would never marry an alcoholic in active addiction.
This for sure!!!!

I would possibly marry an alcoholic in recovery, but that would depend on that persons recovery - how long have they been sober, are they working a program etc.

I married someone who was a social drinker who, after the wedding, started to really abuse alcohol. There are no guarantees in life, but I know for sure I'd never marry an alcoholic who is actively addicted. That is a guarantee
Old 06-06-2016, 07:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I would consider marrying someone who was steadfast in recovery, having gained a good chunk of sober time (at least a year) with an ongoing plan to stay in recovery. It's the same consideration I'd want from a potential mate.

The situation described by the original poster? No way.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
No, having grown up with one as parent, become one myself,
and now married to one
NO
NO
NO
I have to agree with this. I would not want to be on the other side of how I have treated partners while I was actively abusing alcohol.

As you may have noticed, it can be a Dr. Jeckel and Mr. Hyde situation. Nice one day, mean as can be the next. He couldn't take it anymore and I don't blame him. I wouldn't listen to an alcoholic who SAYS he or she is going to change - look for action
Old 06-07-2016, 03:41 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm an alcoholic in recovery and I have learned that I don't play well with others.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

No.
I wouldn't even date someone who is an alcoholic.
Maybe some counseling would be in order if you're struggling. You love him and want to help him. This sounds like co-dependency to me. You can't fix him so love yourself and move on.
Think of it this way: if your daughter was dating this guy, what would you tell her? "Take care of your self, he'll make a lousy husband".
I know its hard, but you need to walk away. Many of us walked away from our relationship with alcohol. It's hard to give it up. But its one of the best decisions ever.