Notices

Best course of action?

Old 06-06-2016, 11:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Best course of action?

Well, I know I have to stop clinging to alcohol. I have been drinking 1 bottle of wine a night and cut down to 3/4. Am I better off cutting down slowly or cutting it out cold turkey? I am worried about what will happen if I suddenly stop. Will I go into withdrawals?
Old 06-06-2016, 11:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Everyone is different....length of time drinking and level of consumption effect withdrawals also. Have you ever experienced withdrawal symptoms before? Do you drink in the morning?

Best thing to do, have an honest talk with your dr. The doc can also give you meds to ease any withdrawal symptoms. Why suffer and stress?
Old 06-06-2016, 11:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd again say speak with your doctor. Because of the potential for withdrawals, we cannot advice you to simply go cold turkey.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't drink in the morning. I have about a 2 hour window in the evening when I drink a bottle of wine. I know that's awful. I haven't had withdrawals before but I also haven't not had a drink at night for a long time.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I couldn't cut down. If i could've just done that , I wouldn't have had the problems I did. Once I took the first drink, then I was likely to have another few, and then who knew what was likely to happen. So for me, total abstinence was the only way in the end. Didn't stop me peeing about with the whole 'cutting down' routine for years and years first though.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by SpringWater View Post
I don't drink in the morning. I have about a 2 hour window in the evening when I drink a bottle of wine. I know that's awful. I haven't had withdrawals before but I also haven't not had a drink at night for a long time.
I didn't either, many people don't. If you've never gone 24 hours without alcohol your body probably never had the chance to get to that stage. The severe symptoms of withdrawal are rare - but they are possible nonetheless. And no one here can tell you how you might fare - it's against forum policy for us to give medical advice.