Notices

Job related : I sure could use some prayers...

Old 06-06-2016, 09:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Job related : I sure could use some prayers...

Without getting into too much detail - alcohol abuse has affected my job. (From 4 months ago). I am dealing with HR as we speak and am a nervous wreck. I should have been up front with HR on some things, but did not feel safe to do so confidentially at the time. I sure could use some prayers not only to keep my job, but to remain strong in sobriety.

Thank you all for your support. I do appreciate it.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

positive vibes, coming your way.

own up to your issues and ask HR to assist you in getting help.

if you do this - I think you'll find that there will be support to help you address your problem and not have it cost you your job, your career, your life....

try to 'squeak by' and keep hiding things, manipulate or cover up - and you may shoot your chance to take advantage of programs that may help you and protection you may have from discrimination.

Clearly your employer knows you have issues - so now sounds like the time to look them squarely in the eye, acknowledge what's going on, and make a sincere pledge to get help and ask for their help in doing so in order that you can get back on track and give your all for the company.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sending them out
Old 06-06-2016, 09:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you Free Owl. I went to treatment 4 months ago and it is ongoing. I did so without telling them. I took vacation days while I was gone. This does involve a DUI. I did not involve HR because I was not sure what my attorney would be able to do as he put in for a dismissal. My court date and my registration renewal for my company overlapped so now they know. I did go to treatment on my own accord.

I am now trying to backtrack and provide documentation from treatment, dr's, counselors etc. Right or wrong I did not go to HR because I did not think I could do so confidentially. My world was turned upside down at my own hands and I just wanted to take care of getting myself well.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Be honest, remain sober. Thinking of you.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you - I have continued prayers for a good outcome. It doesn't look good though. Ironically I do not want to be anything but sober. I cannot believe I allowed alcohol to consume me like it did. As of now, I have forwarded the pertinent information to HR and asked that they call me for an explanation of where the situation is now. I have yet to hear back from them and when I log in to the HR website it says terminated by my employee number. I received a call last Friday and forwarded all documentation, including treatment this morning. Not sure if the termination status was from before or after they received the information. Thank you for your prayers SR. Drinking is not worth it. I want my life back, I want myself back. I want to live without the fear and worry of my pending employment as well as my pending court case. I am a highly successful professional who has never been reprimanded in a job - ever. Thank you for letting me vent and thank you for reading.

To those reading, do not think this cannot happen to you. It can. I would have NEVER, EVER thought that alcohol could take me to my knees like this. I would have never thought that I would allow it to strip all of this away. I know that it could be worse. This DUI could have killed someone. I am so thankful and grateful that it did not.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Been there with the HR experiences...If they are offering assistance of any kind (rehab, therapy, etc...) i would definitely take them up on it. Do WHATEVER they ask you to do. (For myself i had to take this approach, alcoholism had robbed me of asking/requesting anything...I had to say i need help, please tell me what to do!)

Sending prayers your way. I can relate to what you're going through...I've lived it. You can get through this.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Prayers
Old 06-06-2016, 05:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

HI behappy, I don't recall if you have mentioned this before but do you have an idea when you will know the outcome regarding your work status?
Old 06-06-2016, 05:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good luck, and be honest with HR. They seem to dig up everything in due time anyway. Get them on your side and kill them with kindness.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Behappy,

I am sending prayers things go well. Let us know what happens with HR.

Is the issue that you got a DUI, or that you didn't disclose it? It would help you to know moving forward.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'll be praying for you, BeHappy.

When I was going through this my boss was told he couldn't fire a person for being an alcoholic (it's considered a disability). He wasn't planning on firing me, but he checked with his attorney to see what his rights were if I hadn't sought treatment - which I did. (Not sure if they are considering terminating you for a different reason.)

Please let us know how it goes - we care.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

No it's for no other reason. IDK when I will know anything. I believe tomorrow. I work from home and have a company vehicle. I did submit to HR today my privileges to drive for work (from the courts) a letter from my rehab dr, a letter from my counselor and a notice that was submitted to the courts to dismiss my case (which is at the end of June). I asked that HR please call me at home so that I could discuss where my situation is currently at. I meet with my supervisor tomorrow (I suspect they may ask for my computer, work belongings and company vehicle). Needless to say my request to HR was not met. No call, no nothing from them. I don't know what all info they have, but I suspect a police report only. My work license plates expire in August and I believe they ran everything to get my registration processed and discovered it this way.

I did not tell HR because I swear my place of employment is like a beauty shop gossip fest. It is all suppose to be private, but it is not. I know about who went to HR for harassment, who got reprimanded for buying wine that was too expensive on a company credit card, who wrecked their vehicle and didn't report it. Yada yada yada. I did not and do not know the outcome of my case yet. Not a clue. I again have my work privileges back so this does not affect my ability to work. For the previous 2 reasons (I can work, I do not know what will happen with my case, I could not deal with gossip mongers and get myself into treatment and do what I needed to do to better myself.

Does anyone know what I am entitled to as far as HR not even calling me back today to discuss?

I am really worried, but I will not drink. I am praying for the best outcome. I hope this makes sense. I cannot even think straight right now.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am sending prayers for a successful outcome for you.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sending prayers your way.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

And to top it off, my mugshot is on the search engines now. OMG. I am so very ashamed, humiliated. I don't know what to do and how to stop this. After my DUI I called the sheriff the next day and apologized. He told me to keep my head up, that it would be ok and he wished the Internet crap didn't have to be published as it does nothing, to help any situation.

I am sorry for rambling. Normally I can keep my composure. Not so much tonight.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I can relate to the mugshot online debacle. Ugh they got mine from 2003, when the Internet was just a baby. What a bunch of jerks!!!!

Sorry for your troubles at work. I wish I had insight to share but I don't. I do think the company car might mean more in terms of consequences, especially if it was the vehicle you drove drunk in or if your job requires you to have a valid license / drive. Do you have employee assistance program to call? Or a lawyer on your own dime....sorry I can't be more help. I will keep you in my thoughts.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sending prayers your way. It is hard going through something like this when your imagination is running riot about what people are saying about you. But you have to do your best to focus on you and what you can do to make things better for yourself.

HR don't have to get back to you on the schedule you've asked them to follow. My guess is they're looking into their own rights and obligations and trying to decide what to do next. Cooperate fully. If you have been in treatment, are seeing a counsellor and doing everything you need to do to stay sober then they have to consider all of that. Laws where you are may make it difficult for them to terminate your employment in those circumstances.

If they do terminate, you might want to hire a lawyer to advise on your rights. If they don't and you keep your job, continue to do what they ask, get through your DUI issues, ignore the gossip mongers and eventually decide what to do about continuing to work there when all the dust has settled.

You are not a bad person. You made bad mistakes. We all have made bad mistakes. I'm very sorry for what you're going through and send you strength to get through this and maintain your sobriety.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way Behappy.

Just a thought...sometimes good things come out of bad situations. If you were hesitant to approach HR due to trust issues, maybe it's time to work for a more professional and trustworthy company?

Glad to hear you're not drinking over it. Stay the course and take care
Old 06-07-2016, 05:30 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you for all of your kind words. I read each and every one of them. Ironically today is the day that I meet with them and I have ZERO desire to drink at all.

Maybe I've outgrown this company and its time to move on to bigger and better things. Thank you!!