Notices

Day 1

Old 06-06-2016, 05:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

First day, going to do a modest (oxycodone) reduction today and tomorrow, Wednesday I will step down another level. If previous experience is any indicator, I'll be fine until mid-day tomorrow then I will just feel a little flat.

side note: I had a choice as to pursue a new career while on medication (and milk it for a long time), or get off these things before I embark. I'm choosing to get off first, then embark.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Good idea Jeff, how long do you think it will take you to ween off?
Old 06-06-2016, 06:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sva777 View Post
Good idea Jeff, how long do you think it will take you to ween off?
8-10 days. I'm only on 30mg per day so I don't have far to go.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I thought you were already tapering. Did you fall off your taper schedule?

At some point you have to quit and face the withdrawals. It's akin to lowering yourself into a cold pool. At some point you have to jump in.

Good luck.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good luck and stay strong!!!
Old 06-06-2016, 06:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I hope you can stay off once you get there Jeff, I don't envy your situation one bit.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Old 06-06-2016, 06:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
I thought you were already tapering. Did you fall off your taper schedule?

At some point you have to quit and face the withdrawals. It's akin to lowering yourself into a cold pool. At some point you have to jump in.

Good luck.
I was at 70mg for about 8 months, now down to 25mg -30mg, and my doc would probably keep me on that for another 3 months if I wanted, but I want to just get off of them completely.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Jeff

Haven't you been tapering for a few months? If feeling a little flat is the consequence that doesn't seem too bad.

Good call on not starting a job and quitting at the same time, if you can afford to do it. I was concerned about that in your other thread.

I still think you're gonna have to bite the bullet and do this, even if it is uncomfortable and scary. You've got this!
Old 06-06-2016, 07:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Hey Jeff

Haven't you been tapering for a few months? If feeling a little flat is the consequence that doesn't seem too bad.

Good call on not starting a job and quitting at the same time, if you can afford to do it. I was concerned about that in your other thread.

I still think you're gonna have to bite the bullet and do this, even if it is uncomfortable and scary. You've got this!

Yeah Frick, my doctor has been very generous regarding the taper. Its like 10mg every 2 months. But I'm sick of it and I'm at a point now where the amount I take just makes me feel crappy anyway, so why not just get off of them completely?
Old 06-06-2016, 07:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Best of luck Jeff. Just out of curiosity, did you ask your Doc about quitting the taper? I don't have any experience with pain med withdrawal myself so not sure of the possible ramifications.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I tapered off prescription pain meds a couple of years ago and was taking about the same amount you are when I decided to stop. Everyone is different but I had very mild withdrawal symptoms; a little trouble sleeping and low mood and energy, fortunately none of the agony I'd read about.

During the taper I was in low-level withdrawal for weeks, it was a relief to finally end it. Exercise, B vitamins, funny movies, anything to jump start endorphins were a big help to me.
Good luck to you!
Old 06-06-2016, 10:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Wise decision Jeff rooting for you
Old 06-06-2016, 11:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Best of luck Jeff. Just out of curiosity, did you ask your Doc about quitting the taper? I don't have any experience with pain med withdrawal myself so not sure of the possible ramifications.
Not officially Scott. She knows I'm tapering but she's giving me quite a bit of latitude. If I run into issues, I have her on speed dial. I think I'll be fine.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fortheloveofdog View Post
I tapered off prescription pain meds a couple of years ago and was taking about the same amount you are when I decided to stop. Everyone is different but I had very mild withdrawal symptoms; a little trouble sleeping and low mood and energy, fortunately none of the agony I'd read about.

During the taper I was in low-level withdrawal for weeks, it was a relief to finally end it. Exercise, B vitamins, funny movies, anything to jump start endorphins were a big help to me.
Good luck to you!
Thank you for sharing this, it is VERY encouraging. I have done a couple trial runs and what you describe is basically what I felt. If that's all it ends up being, this will be a cakewalk.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've had 10mg in the last 23 hrs, so far everything is ok (I'm prescribed the short acting stuff).
Old 06-06-2016, 05:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

So, I waited all day for the sky to start falling, and it didn't. Had a couple of hot flashes, a little hyper at one point, nothing noteworthy at all.

I have this mental obsession of being able to quit before the "supply" is gone. I did it with ambien, alcohol, and now with oxycodone. I want to be totally done and have 20 pills or so left over. Don't ask me why my brain works like that, but it does. I think its because if I get to a point where I absolutely can't take it anymore, I know I have some relief left.

Side note: my nose has gotten very sensitive to alcohol. I was working with my brother and father over the weekend and I was standing next to my brother and I could smell booze, so I asked him if he was drinking. Sure enough, I was right. No biggie, he doesn't have a problem.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Rar

Hang in there Jeff. You're doing awesome.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Good luck!
Old 06-06-2016, 05:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hope you are doing well tonight Jeff!:-)