Notices

this must be my 100th try..

Old 06-05-2016, 02:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

this must be my 100th try..

Okay...I'm not sure where to begin. I guess I'm struggling. I have relapsed nany times over the past few years. Mainly to keep the PAWs at bay. I struggle with painkillers and benzos. Anyway...I'm looking for some advice and support. I realize I have a long road ahead of me..and that it will not be easy. How do I get through the post acute phase? I'm determined to finally do it this time. Meetings are out of the question unless they are online. I live in the middle of no where...no transportation...and suffer from horrific anxiety. Thank you!
Old 06-05-2016, 02:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We have meetings online on SR on Tuesdays and Saturdays in the chat room, see you there
Old 06-05-2016, 02:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi & Welcome eowynmist
Old 06-05-2016, 02:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey there! It doesn't matter how many tries it takes, as long as you never stop trying! Recovery has so much to offer, no matter how many times it takes NEVER give up on yourself!

My DOC was heroin, so I know how hard the withdrawels can be and the ones that linger such as sleeping problems, depression, and anxiety. My best advice is have a plan and make as many resources as possible open to you. The biggest thing that helped me was finding a doctor that specializes in addiction (a good doctor that specializes in addiction can help prescribe different medicines to help get your through the tougher parts of the beginning of sobriety), finding a psychiatrist that specializes in addiction (this way you can get get any underlying mental illnesses in check..for example I have bipolar type 2 disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, and depression and without properly treating those mental illnesses recovery was not in my reach), and finding a substance abuse counselor (there is a lot that goes on during recovery and having someone that is impartial and works in the field is a huge resource to have).

I also came out to my entire family; mom, sister, brother, grandparents, aunts, uncles, counsins, etc. this way I could get the mental support that I needed. It also helped to be freed of the lies and deceptions that came with addiction. Family can be a great resource, especially for me since I had no real friends, only drug buddies and dealers which I cut off.

Some other things would be to start eating a balanced diet, any excersize you can do is helpful, taking vitamins, staying extremely hydrated, finding new hobbies, journaling to keep my thoughts in check and being able to see my progress and set backs, staying connected in any recovery community that fits your needs and personality, changing phone number, deleting facebook, doing yoga, meditation, and truly looking at my life and being honest with myself and setting short term goals and long term goals.

Take it one step at a time and NEVER give up on yourself!
Old 06-05-2016, 03:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to SR eowynmist

You could also check out the Narcotics Addiction and Substance Abuse sections of SR for more specific help
Old 06-05-2016, 03:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you, eowynmist. I had many, many tries too - but I now have 8+ yrs. sober. I know you can do this.

Being here & talking things over with others who understand makes a huge difference to me. I had no one in my life who got it. You never have to feel alone.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've seriously lost count of how many attempts I've made. Something I've realised this time though that it's not about living my old life alcohol free, it's about embracing a new lifestyle. That will take time, but I'm willing to be patient as anything has to better than living in hangover hell.
Fall down, get back up. You can do this.