Notices

Need Help with Finding a Therapist

Old 06-05-2016, 09:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need Help with Finding a Therapist

So I thought I was going to lose my job because of all the time I have taken off to recover. Having not initially been honest with my boss I finally told him the truth. To my dismay, he completely understood! Not only that but he also told me to take as much time as I needed,and that if I needed therapy, he would pay for it!
My question is: how do I go about seeking a therapist? I've never done this before. Sure I googled all the therapists near me, but I dont really know what im looking for. I suppose I need one that specializes in alcoholism and depression.
I've been given another second chance, I want to make the most of it. I can't screw this up!
Old 06-05-2016, 09:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Look on website for Psychology Today. Find a therapist that specializes in substance abuse, alcohol, recovery, etc. They usually have a write up and a photo Find someone you think you might feel comfortable with and send an email or make the call. They'll get back to you and you can get a gut reaction, first impression over the phone if they're good for you. Best of luck. What a blessing you have (your boss)
Old 06-05-2016, 09:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Originally Posted by JennaRoseMadre View Post
... They'll get back to you and you can get a gut reaction, first impression over the phone if they're good for you.
Any suggestions for what would be good questions to ask the therapist when they call?
Old 06-05-2016, 09:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Maybe start by asking your doctor for a referral. Or ask friends. Therapy is no big deal, many people seek it out for various reasons. I'm not sure you need a therapist who specializes in addiction. There's a reason why you drink and that's what you need to address in counseling. Sometimes you need to go through a few to find the right fit, but it's worth it.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I just wrote a post about this earlier today, here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post5985075

There is helpful info on what general things to ask/discuss with a potential therapist in a first consultation, google things like "how to find a therapist". But perhaps most importantly, I ask them the questions that matter to me specifically, sometimes based on my previous therapy experience with someone else. For example, other than standard questions that can be found on the web, last time I asked things like:
"how do you measure success in therapy?"
"how do you handle conflicts with patients?"
"do you allow / how do you handle outside of sessions contact?"

I think it's also useful to ask about anything that potentially bothers you or just interests you in the moment about something the say or do. I always ask what treatment approach(es) they use, even though this is often stated on their websites, I like to hear their more causal description. Are they goal-oriented or prefer to let the process flow freely and discover what needs work together with the patient? And of course practical things like their scheduling style, cancellation policy etc.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi guys,

I just remembered this thread... There is a little book on this topic: Talk It Out: How to Find the Right Therapist and Get What You Need to Feel Better written by a clinical psychologist. It is free via Amazon Kindle for download today (Sunday, June 12) only -- why I am posting it. No need to have an actual Kindle, there is also a free Kindle reader that can be downloaded to a computer from Amazon.

I've read the book and thought it covered many different aspects of the topic quite well that I've learned from my own experience and other things.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Does your state or city have a Mental Health Association? That would be a good place to start. Talking to your dr could also be helpful in locating the right person.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

A good counselor is worth his or her weight in gold. I hope you find someone suitable soon.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Ask your doctor?
Old 06-12-2016, 03:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You can go on your health insurance's webpage and they should have links to therapists that accept it. There are also many that specialize in alcoholism and addiction, I actually just looked one up myself earlier today and going to give them call tomorrow.