Notices

Over 30 days (1 month) soberity

Old 06-05-2016, 07:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Over 30 days (1 month) soberity

I guess I hit the one month of being sober. Time flies after one month of not drinking for a week straight. Anyway, I have continue to go to the SOS weekly dinners on Tuesdays. It's the longest I have gone to straight without missing one. It socks that it should on a Tuesdays because I get free movie passes at the day and time. The last time I went to it before then was 3 years ago. I don't have the problem from a day to day worrying if I'm going to drink or not. The once a week meeting is a reminder that I do have a problem and I should not brush it under the rug or try to avoid the issue that I may try to convince myself my problem is gone or not bad.

I will be going to New York City next weekend which I will be going with a so call friend when up there. I wouldn't go but I already paid over $850 for plane ticket and hotel. Drinking would not be an issue. But will end the friendship after the trip because issues I had with him that he does not wish to respect and it has gone too long.

I'm living with my parents for 5 years now. Was living on my own before that but with you drinking problem and not work it was hard to do so. Anyway, I'm 33 years old and just need to get out of here. Don't feel like I have a real life when living here with parents. I'm also one of those people that people make fun of because I still live at home and being 33 I can't no longer justify free rent with living at parents places. If they start charging me then I would have left a long time ago. I brought it up the living thing because I told my mom that I will be moving out soon. I was hoping by the end of the Summer but it looks like it would be the fall for me. I have saved over $16k and only have to pay off student debt and car loan which I'm doing. Anyway back to my mom. My mom told me that we (with my dad) can't trust you to be live alone and your not allow to do so. I almost flip out when hearing this. No one and I mean no one can tell me where I can live or do in my life and I went through a whole argument with her. How can I deal with this issue with problem? I know I can't tell them, I'm looking for apartment place but only tell them I found the place. Any advice?
Old 06-05-2016, 08:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Your 33 and although your parents are very kind and supportive letting you save by not paying rent I think thier advice at the very least is worth taking on board I lost my mum at 27 I'm 33 now and I can't tell you how much I miss that advice that only a mum can give a son

If your healthy & there is no issues why havnt you moved out yet why are you asking is it ok ?
Old 06-05-2016, 09:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Your 33 and although your parents are very kind and supportive letting you save by not paying rent I think thier advice at the very least is worth taking on board I lost my mum at 27 I'm 33 now and I can't tell you how much I miss that advice that only a mum can give a son

If your healthy & there is no issues why havnt you moved out yet why are you asking is it ok ?
I was giving them a heads up that, I'm in the process that I'm going to be moving out soon. Supportive is one thing. It's more about controlling and not letting go. They are three same with my other brothers less because they don't have a drinking problem like me.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on 30 days ACT10NPACK

If you're not moving until the Autumn I would say nothing until closer to the time. By then you will hopefully have been sober for about 5 months so it will be easier for them to accept your decision
Old 06-05-2016, 09:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

As long as you know you are "safe" from drinking again, I think moving out on your own is the next logical step. As far as them telling you that you can't move out, they are just being parents, and being protective. You have a nice amount of money saved up, find something affordable and continue your journey. It sounds like you are doing great. That being said, 30 days is not very long, so be careful.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on 30 days!
Old 06-05-2016, 10:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

With recovery come responsibility.
Responsibility in owning and taking
charge of ones own life and everything
that comes along with it.

No one should be responsible for
your recovery and life except you.
It's okay to have support to help
you, guide you along in your recovery
journey, but at 33, it's time to take
that step and become honest and
most of all responsible for your own
actions. Life.

How else will we grow and mature
if we are always dependent on family
or friends, whether in recovery or
not.

As a child we learn to walk with
help and support before we are
able to stand and walk alone. There
maybe a few falls along the way,
but as our legs strengthen and our
confidence gets stronger then we
will soon be ready to run.

Support with folks in recovery will
help us learn to take those first few
steps as we strengthen our our sobriety
day by day we remain sober, building
a strong, solid foundation to live upon
for yrs to come without the crutch of
family or friends.

I entered recovery myself at 30 yrs
old, and thought I was the youngest
person sitting in many meetings I went
to. Today, there are many many even
younger folks coming into recovery
because they are very much aware
of their addiction and need and want
to do something about it before it takes
their life away from them.

You have your whole life ahead of
you with so many wonderful, awesome
gifts to enjoy just waiting for you.
Remaining sober by incorporating
a program of recovery in all areas
of your life will help you get there.

Do this for yourself. Remain sober
for yourself and no one else because
it will become the greatest, healthiest
gift to give to YOU.

Become Responsible..!!!
Old 06-05-2016, 11:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

FANTASTIC post, Sharon. So crazy true in every aspect. Getting sober at 33 is way better than never. Here I am doing it at 45...
Old 06-05-2016, 11:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Action, I think your parents are "scared" for you. Plain and simple.

Stay sober, move when the time is right. Your actions are the only way to aleve their fears. A little gratitude wouldn't hurt either.

Congratulations on 1 month!