Morning Glory vs Addiction

Old 06-04-2016, 03:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Morning Glory vs Addiction

for anyone who has ever had to deal with Morning Glory, it's an evil alien-like viney weed that quickly takes over EVERYTHING in the yard. it will grow thru fences, thru trees, plants, cable wires, anything it can wrap itself around. and if you happen to have a good size chunk of property it is impossible keep up with or KILL.

it reminds me very much of being the loved one of an addict.....no matter WHAT we try, the sh!t just keeps coming back, growing and growing, and taking over everything in it's path.

according to the Farmers Bulletin, for the US Dept of Agriculture in 1909 there were three recommendations for the eradication of morning glory aka bindweed.

1) Clean cultivation....go out and dig it all up, down the roots, and then go back and dig again every 7-10 days forever.

2) Plant Alfalfa Hay - evidently when the alfalfa is cut down to lay down on the field and dry out, it cover the ground and chokes out the morning glory. over time. they did an experiment with timothy hay and did not yield the same results.

3) my personal favorite: Pasture Hogs. hogs like to root around in the dirt for root plants. given enough time they'll "root out" the morning glory.

these were obviously methods recommended for farmers with fields, not modern day homeowners. here we are over 100 years later, and the problem still exists. the INFESTATION. the PROBLEM. the bane of every gardener. no matter what WE try, it doesn't go away. 'tis a formidable, unrelenting foe. hell, if you stand still long enough it will begin to twine around your leg.
Old 06-04-2016, 04:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Anvil......Screeeeech!! (Picture me clutching my pearls!)......
OMG....for years, I have very carefully cultivated morning glories along one of my fences. I have thought that they are very pretty, since childhood.....

Of course, I live in a suburb on the Virginia side of D.C.

Perhaps, you are talking about a hybrid species that has localized to your geographic area...........
lol....one man's weed is another man's flower......

dandylion

***actually, some people actually dig up dandylions.......(again, clutching my perarls!!)......
Old 06-04-2016, 05:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Reminds me of mint, too. Can't kill it!! The only way to get rid of if forever is to cut off it's oxygen and food supply.
Old 06-04-2016, 05:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yeah i've heard that some people intentionally plant MG......this is the wild version......with white blooms. and takes over everything. it's really pretty amazing to watch its attack......the stalks can grow to 1/2 in thick.......and twine/braid their way thru everything in their path. can't imagine planting it on purpose.......

same with ivy....
or holly bushes.......

we have a dandelion puller - and i pulled up about ten of those bastards today. if i do more i won't have any yard left...........https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...36488325752736
Old 06-04-2016, 06:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

OMG!!!

dandylion
Old 06-04-2016, 06:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

(Patting dandylion's hand--there, there, dandy, try not to take it personally, we all love you here!)

I think I want to get me some Pasture Hogs!!
Old 06-04-2016, 09:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

^^^^^^^^^^^
Now, I understand how Miss Piggy feels when people talk about ham sandwiches.......

dandylion
Old 06-05-2016, 10:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Dandy, if it gonna make you feel better, I actually planted some MG this spring. I adore MG and it reminds me of home as my grandmother plated it and preserved the seeds every year! Now, Anvilhead's post made my heart drop, just a bit.

*Sighs*
My MG at the moment looks like magic bean stalks and I will see if I can climb it and meet the giant and his wife, or at least steal their goose. Imagine all those golden eggs.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Roundup got the stray morning glory. (not the pretty kind, the evasive weed)NOW it's the 2 monster Yucca plants that come back fast!
Old 06-06-2016, 02:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

HealthyAgain...lol...just don't make any omletts!

I have loved morning glories since my grade school days....there was a 12 foot chain-link fence around our schoolyard. It was covered with morning glories..pink, lavender/blue and white. the other girls and I would string them on long shafts of grass (similar to wheat)....and wear them as "jewelry"......

On my own chain link fence...in the house before my current one...I actually put long wire extentions on the chain link fence.....and, when it was covered with the morning glories...it was truly a dramatic sight!...especially in the early morning....

While we are on the subject...I have been told that the seeds have mildly hallucinogenic properties.....I don't know if this is actually true....

I know that your plants will give you lots of pleasure when they begin to bloom! maybe, you can post a picture.......

dandyion
Old 06-06-2016, 05:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I did a quick bit of research on morning glory vs bindweed, and while they are related, they are not the same plant. Both bindweed (which I know as creeping jenny, from my grandfather) and morning glory are in the Convolvulaceae family. However, field bindweed is convolvulus arvensis (genus and species name) while the morning glories we plant on purpose are genus ipomea with various species names (purpurea, alba, etc.).

And I found this interesting--sweet potatoes are genus ipomea!! They are ipomoea batatas. And sure enough, look at the flower of a sweet potato plant (which is something I've never seen before):

From my own experience, I'd agree that field bindweed is hard to get rid of. However, I have found morning glories are hard to get started, don't often do all that well for me, and certainly are not invasive in any way, if that makes anyone feel any better about possibly having invited a fierce plant into their yard!
Old 06-06-2016, 05:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hmmm, maybe my grandma knew something about those hallucinogenic properties . . . LOL

I mean, that is the plant that had to be on her balcony, so.

I'll post the pics, I promise!
Old 06-06-2016, 05:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Well, thank you, Honeypig for bringing us this enlightenment!

Come to think of it..I have seen the wild "weed" type plant that Anvil is dealing with...growing in various locations...outside of cultivated gardens......

LOl....I had forgotten about sweet potato vines/flowers.....saw only as a very small child.....

dandylion
Old 06-06-2016, 06:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oldsoul1122 View Post
Roundup got the stray morning glory. (not the pretty kind, the evasive weed)NOW it's the 2 monster Yucca plants that come back fast!
I have two of those big B's that keep coming back. I dig them up every summer, way down in the ground, and they keep coming back. Ugh.

That's it, I am getting a hog too.....
Old 06-06-2016, 06:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Find a way to turn these weeds into a revenue source. They will go away for sure!!!
Old 06-06-2016, 06:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Roundup got the stray morning glory

we'd need Napalm!!! plus we don't use any pesticides or other toxic stuff in our yard. we have dogs and we live on a lake and our property slopes down TO the lake and we don't want any runoff polluting the waters or the wildlife. which is also why moles love our yard.......and Canadian geese.......and ducks........
Old 06-06-2016, 06:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have considered looking for surplus Agent Orange to take out the buckthorn and raspberry cane in my neck of the woods...
Old 06-06-2016, 07:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2/DSC07692.JPG

The first flower opened this morning!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ng%20glory.jpg

I guess not many people share the morning glory enthusiasm.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

That sure is pretty, healthyagain!
Old 06-06-2016, 08:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
That sure is pretty, healthyagain!
Thanks!

And if you look more carefully, you might notice my dog's paw in pic no. 2. Just saw it.