Notices

Weight fluctuations

Old 06-04-2016, 02:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weight fluctuations

Is it normal to see huge weight fluctuations early in sobriety? My family tells me I look smaller, yet the weight on the scale is the highest it has ever been and it has me freaking out.

My mom, who is 4 inches taller, now weighs 5 lbs. less than me, yet I'm a few sizes smaller when we try on each other's clothes.

It is not muscle because I'm not working out yet. I know it is just a number, but I don't seem to be getting bigger, but the scale says I am. Is it normal to have huge water retention or something?

This takes me out of my healthy BMI and it has me depressed.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, it is, in my experience. Right now I have settled at a little higher than I would like and it is mostly around my middle which I hate. I needed to gain about 10 and have gained about 15. I expect that with yoga and getting into other exercise again (I am on my feet 8-9 hrs a day at work so I have mostly had that for exercise as I have been starting recovery), it will balance out; I also need to reduce my sugar intake which has spiked in the last month (I am at 103 days).

Hang in there- sounds like your mind and mine are the biggest things "messing with us" - I am trying to listen to others telling me how much better I look and not get down!
Old 06-04-2016, 03:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AA Member

i lost ~15 lbs in a few weeks when i quit

Old 06-05-2016, 09:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Bump. Sorry if this isn't a big topic for some of you, yet it is confusing, because I see other weight questions go bonkers. So bump.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by january161992 View Post
i lost ~15 lbs in a few weeks when i quit

Is your avatar your sober date? Guessing so. I appreciate that, but want some more current people as well (no, that doesn't take away from you). Actually, would prefer women who binged, never drank every day...
Old 06-06-2016, 05:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Babescake,
I have lost about 30 lbs in 1.5 years or so....
A bunch came off in the very beginning, then pretty slow. I am not really dieting though....
Down 2 sizes, and feel great.......

Your body is going through a lot, give yourself time. Be patient. It will come......
Old 06-06-2016, 05:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Four months in and I am at my ideal weight (for me) and feel so full of energy. Attribute this to daily yoga, healthy foods and a sweet treat here and there! Oh, and no booze or pills.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Rar

I gained 20 lbs during a 6 mos relapse and am trying to lose by exercising and cutting back. I lost only 6 lbs in almost 3 weeks, most of which was water weight during the first week. My weight has also been fluctuating these last 3 weeks. It is discouraging. I still have lots of bloat.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wine binge drinker- I gain or lose 5-10 lbs depending if I ate too much or if it's my period.
Flatter stomach for sure though
Old 06-06-2016, 05:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Hi Babescake--- please don't worry about the number on the scale. Go by how you feel! Do you feel healthier? If your family thinks you look smaller it may be because the bloating is gone.

I was a daily mild drinker with heavy binges. Got sober Jan. 1 and my weight dramatically dropped and now I've plateaued at a 40 lb. loss. I could lose another 20 but am now in the normal BMI and happy with that number.

Your body and brain is still healing. Be kind to yourself and ignore that darn scale-

Take care
Old 06-06-2016, 06:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Another thought---are you drinking enough water?

I drank so much water (100 or more ounces per day) the first few months it seemed counter-intuitive to weight loss but it helped reset my body and flushed out the toxins.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I gained almost twenty pounds in the first six months of sobriety. I feel this was due to me not eating right and always being sick, when I was drinking. The year following that it has slowly come back off as I exercise regularly. I was not one of the lucky ones who quit and magically lost a bunch of weight...

I too was a binge drinker