Notices

Went to baseball game...Got splashed by beer!

Old 06-04-2016, 10:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Went to baseball game...Got splashed by beer!

So went to watch a Major League Baseball game last week...First things first I've got close to 17 hard earned months of sobriety and i am passionate about baseball.

Have been since i watched it as a kid with my grandfather. It's really one of the most enjoyable things in my life.

I'm not afraid of being tempted by drinking at the games....I never go alone. We went as part of team building night...My bosses (Who have put me through rehab were there too.)

Anyways, about the 4th inning the fellow in front of me knocked his sunglasses off and as reflex tried to grab them with his hand (Which was also holding his beer...Imagine it...And you get the picture...About 1/3 of the beer went flying back in our direction...My co-worker got he most of it...But i did get splashed as well.)

I really didn't know how i would react...But i was OK for the most part..I used to drink beer occasionally but the hard stuff (Whiskey) is what i really descended into at the end of my drinking...)

I did call my sponsor, and talked about it after the game...And yeah i went back to the office and changed my shirt.

Just curious if anyone else has had any experiences like this one? How did you react? I think i handled it pretty well...I think my HP was throwing a curveball at me!...

Still sober...Going strong...This coming Monday will make 17 straight sober months. I am grateful to you all at SR, you've helped me so much.

Have a great day everyone. Findingtheway
Old 06-04-2016, 10:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey there -

Glad you enjoyed the game (despite the beer shower). I am one that says we need to enjoy life's pleasures even if alcohol is there. So even though Baseball can include (for others ,, not me) hot dogs, peanuts and beer we can go and stay strong (and sober)... So I will have a Coke with my "Dog" with Mustard please!

I have only been sober a short while... So I dont know how I would feel about having this happen and smelling like beer. But sounds like you made it A-OK.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Easy2Slip,

Thanks for the response. An important thing my sponsor told me from the start is *We can go anywhere/anyplace in the world as long as we have a legitimate reason for being there.*

Congratulations on your sober time. (I see you've got close to 1.5 months)

Take Care.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, I have been splashed on before. Ugh, so not fair when we are not imbibing is it? But glad you got through this one a-ok!
Old 06-04-2016, 10:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I saw an AC/DC concert a little while back and a guy in front of me was so drunk I couldn't imagine what he was getting out of the concert .. sure ... he was having fun in the moment but he wasn't likely to remember much of it.
Old 06-04-2016, 04:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That was probably a $12 beer that, that guy spilled. Another good reason why I don't miss drinking anymore.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't think I get the problem here...it wasn't paint, it was beer. Were you worried that beer on your clothes would make drink?
Old 06-04-2016, 06:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on 17 months.... Very well done!
Old 06-05-2016, 11:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Can't speak for the OP but I could see how the smell might be a trigger, especially if it's on your body....