Notices

Day 6??? Or Day 1?

Old 06-04-2016, 05:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 6??? Or Day 1?

I've been reading a lot of the posts on here and I find them really encouraging!
I'm 34 years old, I started drinking when I was about 13. Just to be cool,and of course over the years that turned into drinking ALOT.
For the past 7-8 years I have drank mostly 7 days a week, 6 if I had a really bad hangover. But I figured out how to avoid those nasty hangovers. I always laughed when friends asked "how do you not have a hangover?''
How??
Well ya see, come around 11 am when the little drummer boy starts his opening act inside my head... bang bang ...bang... I started drinking immediately. Clever right? lol not so much.
Well, for the past 7-8 years, my day consisted of usually having my first cocktail around 11 am, and continuing to drink until I couldn't keep my eyes open.
I started out drinking a few beers, then a 12 pack then 18 then 30 a day in my teens then.... I started to gain weight so I switched to Vodka,
Maybe a shot in each cup of soda 6-7 drinks or so a day. The past two years, a 1.75l EVERYDAY......
Whats astonishing is,even with that much liquor, I still got everything I needed to get done every day. Work, Home, 2 children ect..
This past Nov I got acute pancreatitis. Horribly painful!!
I knew then it was time to stop... But I didn't. Then I got it again In Feb, And again last week....
So Now I've decided enough is enough... I'm on day 7 today, which is incredible for me. I cant remember going 2 days without in the past.
I haven't slept this week except maybe a combined total of 5 hours in 6 nights. I have a lot of energy in the mornings and get a lot more done. Well In the mornings, Pretty sure I can thank Coffee for that..
I'm surprised with all that I've read, I haven't had any major withdrawals as of yet, aside from lack of sleep.

Ok. The million dollar question... Relapse??
Today is officially day seven, how ever I was cleaning last night and listening to music and I really wanted a drink, well mentally I did.
I battled the thought as i continued cleaning the kitchen till I couldn't get it out of my head. So, I went and poured my usual cup of Diet Dr.Pepper, continued to clean for another half hour. Then went to pour vodka in the cup.
I felt so guilty, i wanted to but didn't. Till i convinced myself, If I Measured one shot of vodka and threw it in there it wouldn't be that bad. Considering my norm was 75% vodka 25% soda.
Sadly I did and I drank it. Then switched back to ice water for the rest of the evening....

Am I back to day 1??

TIA
Old 06-04-2016, 05:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Please get rid of the vodka in your house. If it is there, sounds like it is a bit too easy to take a nip. Pour it all out - trash it.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There will be lots of thoughts in the beginning which you absolutely cannot trust - "if I measure a shot it's better than before! progress!" - "I went a whole week - progress!" - etc. That addiction will be pulling out all the stops and if the vodka is sitting there, you'll think it was YOUR idea to have the drink when really, it's the addicted part of you.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

For me, if I deliberately drank, I would start my sobriety count over again. I have to be honest with myself if I truly want to recover.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Really IMHO in this situation it's semantics of day 1 or day 7. Personally I think you should pour everything out and keep on trucking. Congratulations on the sober time!
Old 06-04-2016, 06:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR! Drinking alcohol is drinking alcohol in my book. I'd also suggest getting rid of any you have around the house and considering some kind of formal sobriety plan to help. The early days can be rough so it's good to have support.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Jess and Welcome
I have to agree with everyone on getting the alcohol out of your house. I am only on day 8 however, if there had been wine in my house last night (or any alcohol for that matter), I am pretty sure it wouldn't be here today. In my opinion, it is so much harder when alcohol is right there in front of you and easily accessible. Best wishes.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I'm glad you came here.

Believe me, we know the answer that you're looking for which would be justification that since you stopped after one or that you drank less than you usually do that it should be ok and you don't have to reset that count.

Unfortunately it's something that we can't do because of our understanding of the situation. We've all been there.

Get rid of all alcohol in your house, especially if it's your drink of choice. When you're feeling the way that you did when you poured come here and post. Read and post, do whatever it is that you have to do to stop yourself from doing it.

As far as whether you need to reset your count only you can answer that. But, if your goal is to not drink any alcohol and the day count is based on the last time you had any what do you think the answer to your question is?

No one will fault you, we totally understand. We're here to help. Please, please come here next time. Hugs.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Acute pancreatitis is nothing to mess around with. Get serious about your sobriety. Alcohol has gotten deadly serious with you.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Since you made a choice to drink, I think you should be honest with yourself. As others have said, it really helped me to get rid of the alcohol in the house. I still never have alcohol around. Why complicate things!
Old 06-04-2016, 08:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Jess - hope we didn't scare you off - what I've learned here is that most of the regular posters truly do understand our habits and thought processes, so any advice given is advice hard-earned through experience.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

1.75 L of vodka a day?? That is a lot of booze! I was at a point once where I drank close to that during a particularly bad week long bender. I was drinking about a fifth of vodka a day for months in the lead up to this binge. I quit cold turkey because I had called in sick to work and had to return. I went through severe withdrawal symptoms and also developed alcoholic hepatitis.

I am shocked you haven't had withdrawal symptoms. If you start to sweat and your hands shake consider getting medical help.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by madgirl View Post
Hi Jess - hope we didn't scare you off - what I've learned here is that most of the regular posters truly do understand our habits and thought processes, so any advice given is advice hard-earned through experience.
Yes, this! Written words can come across as snarky and harsh sometimes.

Please understand there's not a person who replies that doesn't do it from their heart. If they didn't care they just wouldn't post.

Also sometimes the things we need to hear are the hardest to look at and digest.

Never give up and always come back. There's a
lot of wisdom and understanding here.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You should consider what is important to you. If counting it as day 6 helps you remain sober then do it. If counting it as day 1 is something that will help you do better this time with your sobriety - then do it. You know yourself best, so do what ever you can to support your own sobriety. Though in the future you mustn't enable yourself to take even a single drink because it is a detrimental risk.

Please note that I am only on Day 8 - This is my advice, but I'm not exactly sure how to be sober either.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Jess,

Good for you for coming here and posting today! LadyBlue had a great post this week about not posting after drinking and turning that one moment into a bigger relapse. You didn't do that, you came right back.

I'm proud of you for switching to ice water after one drink. I would get rid of the vodka though, it can be too much of a temptation if you have it in the house.

Dawn:-)
Old 06-04-2016, 09:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

If I drank any alcohol I would reset my counter ... but that's me .. important thing as others have said is to get back on track.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Two questions

How could it be anything other than day one?

What was the thought process you used deciding to have vodka in the house?
Old 06-04-2016, 12:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Day one, but day one is way, way better than day zero......
Keep going!
Old 06-04-2016, 03:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I don't think it really matters. The point is that you want to stop drinking and you have, for the most part, remained sober. You had a slip up because there was vodka in the house. Hopefully, you recognize that and realize you can't keep liquor in the house if you want to be sober. That's it. I don't think it's complicated. Why torture yourself by having it around? I can guarantee that if there was some nice wine in my house -- ok, even crappy wine -- I would've indulged a craving or ten. (Gotta say, I do think it's pretty awesome that you went right to ice water after that!)
Old 06-04-2016, 04:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Any time you consume alcohol the "days restart", but that doesn't mean that you should take this set back as a reason to give up all together.

I personally do not count days, I feel like in the beginning it makes time drag more than just making a plan and sticking to it. For starters, not having any alcohol in the house would be a good start. Sure you could always go to the store and buy more, but a lot of times when cravings hit they are a lot easier to ride out if you don't have your DOC right there in front of you in that moment when you craving hits.

Keep moving forward, don't let this set back make you give up on yourself! Just think about what your future can hold for you if you give up alcohol!