Notices

Hanging in there

Old 06-03-2016, 11:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hanging in there

I drank last night. I drank LESS than I typically do (3/4 of a bottle of wine as opposed to a bottle of wine so not that much less) but I still drank. I am going to AA tomorrow. I know I am going to get home and have that voice in my head that says just drink tonight, it is Friday blah blah blah.

So angry with myself. I try not to be. I try to think that this is a struggle because I am human and I have a problem. It doesn't mean I am a lousy human being or a failure (these are things I think about myself). My more rational mind does nothing to convince me that I am not a failure though.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You only fail if you quit trying SW. How about going to AA today instead of tomorrow? No better time than now to get back on track.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Let us know how the meeting goes tonight! I suggest you let at least one person know it's your first meeting. I hope it goes well.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

I agree - you only fail if you quit - hang in there.
I too have lots of negative thoughts. Have you ever tried talking back? I try to at least be aware of them - I actually say in my mind "That was negative" after I have one and I also try to think of something positive to think right after or think - don't go there or stop that thought and try to change gears. If I let myself go down the road of the negative thought, it can end with me thinking about drinking - hey why not if I am being so negative-it's all doom and gloom anyway. So you see where that can take me.
Best wishes to you - glad you are here
Old 06-03-2016, 09:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You are NOT a lousy person or a moral failure. You're a person struggling to stop drinking alcohol. I've been in your shoes, even the semi-pride of only drinking 3/4 of a bottle instead of the whole thing and then some. I couldn't imagine life without my nightly chardonnay. But once I quit drinking, I felt so much better. Life was better. I realized I didn't need alcohol as much as I thought I did. For me, it took inpatient rehab to quit. Gather all of the resources you can and see how you feel when you're sober. You can always go back to drinking if your life gets worse....but it won't. :-)