Notices

Trying to quit!

Old 06-03-2016, 07:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Trying to quit!

I went to detox may 6th - may 14th. Got the Vivitrol shot. I screwed up and decided to see what effect it would have on me taking a drink. I really hadn't been craving until a bad day last saturday.
Now i have been drinking each day and have to stop now. I go back to get the shot june 7th. I was going to stop yesterday, but in the evening i started to get shaky so i drank again. This past week I've drank about a half a pint or little more daily.
I do have some left over Ativan 1mg. around 6-7 tabs. What should i do? I can't tell my wife. I will be divorced.
I was feeling good after detox. I've been seeing a counselor and going to aa meetings, and i have to go back to work next week. ugh thanks
Old 06-03-2016, 09:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Do you have a sponsor in AA? That would be a good idea and continue going to meetings. I would recommend against taking any prescription meds without consulting your doctor first, especially if you are still drinking.

Regarding your wife, she most likely knows to be honest. One of the tricks addiction plays on us is that we think we are hiding things well but there's no way you can drink that much daily without people around you knowing. Even if they don't smell the alcohol or see the bottles our attitude tells the whole story. I feel honestly is the cornerstone of sobriety, both to ourselves and others, especially those close to us.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, you simply have to stop. Kind no other way to get sober. Not trying to minimize or over simplify but only you can make the choice to stop taking the first drink. Vivitrol is only a tool in maintaining sobriety....it won't/can't keep you there.

Talk to your dr about the Ativan. I took .5mg every 8 hours and that worked great. Ask the dr if cutting them in half is the right thing to do cause 1mg is actually a lot.

You sound like you have a plan. Just gotta stick to it. Good luck. You can do this
Old 06-03-2016, 09:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please remember Do not ask for or give Medical Advice.

It's possible your wife might support you if you were honest with her. I know you will be able to get back on track.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Have to stop now

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post5982286
Old 06-03-2016, 09:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. I really can't believe i took that 1st drink. I knew better. I had been feeling good. dammit. I do have a guy that gave me his phone number, but didn't say anything about sponsorship. we live in a small town and not many people go to the meetings.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to SR, havetostopnow, and congratulations on choosing a better way of life in recovery.

Use that phone number you have--ask that man for help.

And if meetings are small in your town, remember that there are thousands of people here at SR 24 hours a day. I highly suggest joining the Class of June 2016 thread found on this same forum. Actively participating in my own class thread here has been the foundation of my sobriety--day 83 today.

Wishing you the best today! Don't drink. It's a false solution. There's nothing going on in our lives that drinking can't make even worse.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Where are you drinking? At home? At a bar? I know this sounds very simplistic, but get the booze out of your house, don't stop at the bar, stay away from the places/people you drink with. It really is about just making the commitment and finding alternative ways to spend your time.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I drink mostly alone. On the way home from work and then at home. I've been off work because they won't let me come back so i think thats part of the reason i suckered myself to take a drink.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Know that you can lean on us we will be with you all the way
Old 06-05-2016, 06:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Been keeping busy. Haven't drank since Thu. Had bad day yesterday with working around the house. I would have been drinking for sure before this but talked myself out of it. Went to another aa meeting and they said to get a sponsor but didn't say how to. I guess I should have asked but was too overwhelmed.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Swapping numbers before & after meetings helped me I just approached a lot of the regulars & people who have been sober for a sustained period of +3 years

my first & only sponser was 3 years sober when I met him and he advised maybe someone longer sober as a sponser but I think 3 years was perfect for me as it was fresh relevant and in my case it made all the difference listening to advice and implementing said advice
Old 06-05-2016, 11:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

So soberwolf, will anybody say they'll do it or do i have to just right out say will you be my sponsor. And I'm afraid to get one, because i'm not sure if aa is right for me yet.