Notices

Upcoming vacation advice

Old 06-03-2016, 06:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Upcoming vacation advice

I'm on day 4 and feeling great. I haven't had any cravings to drink but have had sweet cravings on occasion and just eat a healthy protein bar when the craving is strong.
I'm going on vacation in July and will be sober over 30 days at that point. We are going to an all inclusive beach resort and I'm really looking forward to a sober vacation and at the same time I think that having a(1) piņa colada in the beach will be a nice relaxing reward to celebrate a great year a work and celebrate the vacation. Another part of me wants to celebrate the vacation sober and really explore and take it all in. On previous vacations I usually have A few days of heavy drinking and recover from hangovers the rest. I'd say I usually (95%) of the time don't get drunk if I stick to beer, it's when I introduce liquor to the mix I go hog wild. Anyways I'm rambling on, how do y'all handle vacations?
Old 06-03-2016, 06:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

By not drinking

Are you considering a drink on holiday please don't for your own sake don't let your addiction trick you into a drink reward it's your addiction still wanting to drink ie the AV

I wouldn't even go so early on 30 days is seriously early sobriety so please don't underestimate your addiction

Sorry if I sound a bit hesitant it's because I think you should think about this very carefully for your own sake
Old 06-03-2016, 06:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't drink on vacations because I can't stop when I get back. For a while i didn't even take vacation to avoid the temptation.

You have a few heavy days of drinking and spend the rest of your time recovering? why not try spending the entire time relaxing? Laying around with a hangover doesn't sound very fun to me.

And why reward yourself with a piņa colada on the beach? Are you rewarding yourself for staying sober for 30 days? My addiction to alcohol doesn't take vacation. It's always there. I'd reward myself with ice cream and enjoy the fresh feeling of waking up without a hangover.

You can absolutely have a good time without drinking. Take advantage of what's offered at the resort. Water activities? touring? Yoga? There's got to be something you enjoy.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Sounds to me like you're planning on how to justify drinking on this vacation. Is that really what you want? If not then you really need a plan on how you're going to handle an all "exclusive" vacation and not drink. In early sobriety that's going to be hard and most would recommend you don't do an all exclusive vacation where booze will be everywhere.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

I'm going on vacation in a few days and plan to avoid or at least greatly minimize my time where people are drinking. I have one relative I used to party with, so if she's tying one on, I probably won't stick around long and I will be with a few people who are supportive of my sobriety.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sounds like pretty typical addictive/alcoholic thinking, which we all have from time to time. You logically know that having just "one" pina colada is a pipe dream, yet you are trying to rationalize it. That's addiction in a nutshell....trying to convince yourself that the impossible ( drinking in moderation ) is possible.

There are most likely going to be a wide array of activities you can participate in on the vacation that are not alcohol related, and there will be a whole bunch of non-alcoholic drink options too. Make a concrete plan to stay away from alcohol at all costs if you truly want to make it a sober vacation.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for the replys. You're right part of me is trying to rationalize it. So I will plan to avoid the bars and enjoy the resort and activities and take some excursions. An ice cream on the beach sounds just as good!
Old 06-03-2016, 09:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am an alcoholic so I can't drink...doesn't matter what I'm doing or where I am.

All inclusives have got to be rough in early sobriety. But they include lots of activities right? If I were in your shoes, I would research all of those opportunities and plan my days/evenings out. Take advantage of all the resort has to offer. I would start each day with exercise/yoga and meditation. Set my intent for each day before I get anywhere near temptation.

Good luck and have fun! You won't regret being sober. Pina Colada's have about a billion calories...so there's that
Old 06-03-2016, 09:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Ingesting poison doesn't sound like much of a vacation to me.

Glad you posted these thoughts and that you're recognizing these thoughts and potential issues early on and planning for them. Drinking is a false solution and relief. I've never met a situation yet that a drink couldn't possibly make worse for me.

Congrats on day 4! Keep on doing the next right thing.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My last trip to an all inclusive was during the height of my alcoholism. I was there for a destination wedding, but really I went because it gave me a license for debauchery. I was drinking gin and tonics at 8am with the breakfast buffet every morning and I didn't stop until late at night. I bought cocaine off the local beach merchants to keep myself going. It was an alcoholic's paradise really. I don't think I could ever go back to an all inclusive and stay sober.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

July seems like a long way away. My focus would be on day 4 rather than day 34. Who knows where your head will be at in a month.