Notices

4 weeks sober

Old 06-01-2016, 02:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

4 weeks sober

Hi I have been 4 weeks sober back on my antabuse after a 2 month relapse starting to feel better again and seeing a councillor who I like. I was evicted from my flat and had to move back in with my mum. My mate has told me the chance of a job has come up were I have worked before and really enjoyed the problem is my mum wants me to stay on sick benefits until I get into a rehab which is 5/6 months down the line. I know Iv been the route before and relapsed but I am much happier working than sitting on benefits and I would still keep taking my antabuse and seeing my councillor but my mums not having it saying Sheel kill herself unless I go to rehab..I know I can't drink again and would much rather keep seeing my councillor and working than sit in the house for six months waiting to maybe get a place in rehab. What do yous think?
Old 06-01-2016, 03:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

First, congrats on 4 weeks sober. I'd say do what you think is best for you. I assume you're an adult and should be able to make your own decisions.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Alexf91, 4 weeks sober is FANTASTIC, congratulations, rootin for ya.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Rar

4 weeks is awesome Alex. Well done!
Old 06-01-2016, 05:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Your mum is threatening to kill herself if you go back to work?? Can you have a serious talk with her about your need to be working? I don't like intimidation with threats of self harm.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's a tough one, but you can't live your life according to your mothers wishes, at least not forever. You need to take care of yourself, for yourself. You must assure your mother that what you do is the right thing, and that waiting 5-6 months may just push you over the edge. Ultimately you need to remain sober at all costs. And if you can work and be productive, even better.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good job Alex
Old 06-03-2016, 01:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great job on 4 months sober. I tend to agree with you, that getting out and working would be better for your mental health. Perhaps your mom feels that if you are not working she can keep a close eye on you? Can you sit down and have a serious talk with her explaining how it feels to be you, and alcoholic and explaining to her the biggest triggers we face: HALT- hungry, angry, lonely, tired. I imagine being forced not to work would make you feel both angry and lonely. Try to stay calm and present things to her in a mature way.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 4 weeks sober Alex!