Notices

Feeling like crap

Old 05-31-2016, 06:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling like crap

It's allergy season. The weekend air was filled with floating bits. Pollen of every variety. Though bursting with life, the spring and early summer are also filled with misery for allergy sufferers like myself.

I felt as though a bad cold were coming on, but I'm sure it's just the old seasonal allergies worsening. Headache, stuffed nose, sore throat, two kinds of allergy medicine scarcely making a dent in the symptoms and serving mainly to make me feel tired, light-headed and mildly depressed on top of the misery of the allergy symptoms themselves. Unable to sleep soundly - tossing and turning and struggling to breathe at night.

Ahhh yes.... allergy season.

I feel like pure and utter crap.

But.... I am sober and grateful and life is so much better than it would be if I were drunk or stoned.

SO, it'll be all right.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Eww. I feel for you. Mine hasn't kicked off yet. One thing that I use now after a tip off from a farmer (I always thought they didn't get hayfever) is to wipe a little vaseline / petroleum jelly round the inside of each nostril. Not only is it soothing, it also catches a lot of the pollen before it whizzes up yer trunk. That and allergy eye drops are my favourite allergy soothers nowadays, alongside a one a day tablet to ease the symptoms.

If you have a plant sprayer try filling it with water and spraying round the rooms of the house as well. That can bring the pollen and allergens down out of the air a bit.

Hope it eases soon.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hope you feel better FreeOwl! :-)
Old 05-31-2016, 06:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can relate FreeOwl.

I suffer terribly from allergies.

Hope you feel better soon.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I feel your misery. For many years I had to deal with terrible allergy problems. It was terrible. Had all of your symptoms. I had days where I just layed in bed, sneezing, coughing, nose running like a faucet. Shots and medication did little. Hated the medication cause it would make me drousy and irritable.
I recently found a doctor that as far as I'm concerned is a saint. She prescribed a nasal spray that I use a few times a week but occasionally still take a zertec-d (no drowsiness or irritability). Haven't had a major problem in at least a year. It's like a miracle (sp?). Might want to look into it. Good Luck. John
Old 05-31-2016, 06:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm currently taking zyrten, benadryl and flonase in combination.... which does almost nothing, save for make life just barely tolerable.

I think I may have to bite the bullet and start with allergy shots.

I think the actual ideal solution is to move back to the sea. I never had these issues on the coast. Here in the northwoods, it is beautiful.... but for at least a couple months of the year, it's misery for allergy sufferers.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
I'm currently taking zyrten, benadryl and flonase in combination.... which does almost nothing, save for make life just barely tolerable.

I think I may have to bite the bullet and start with allergy shots.

I think the actual ideal solution is to move back to the sea. I never had these issues on the coast. Here in the northwoods, it is beautiful.... but for at least a couple months of the year, it's misery for allergy sufferers.
Yeah, used to take benadryl. Hated it. Nobody wanted to be around me when I took it. It put me in a terrible mood. The zertec-d is something you would need to get from the pharmacist cause it is not on the regular counters for some reason. It's in the back where the pharmacist is. The nasal spray I take is called fluticasome which might be just a prescription strength for flonase. Don't know.
Sounds beautiful where you live. Hate to see you not being able to enjoy it. John
Old 05-31-2016, 06:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

well.... I still enjoy it.

One reason I'm likely feeling it so badly is that the past two days I've spent the sunrise on some very rigorous, technical, singletrack trail runs through the blossoming forest. So, I play and I pay. I do wish it didn't mean such misery.

Benadryl definitely bums me out and doesn't actually seem to help - so I'm not going to use that again. I'll look into the zyrtec-d, hadn't heard of that, thanks for the tip.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Benadryl turns me into a maniac. I can't take it.

Here's the reason all allergy medications containing pseudoephedrine are behind the counter.

Some over-the-counter (OTC) cold and allergy medicines are being moved behind the counter at pharmacies nationwide as part of the fight against illegal drug production. Under the Patriot Act signed by President Bush on March 9, 2006, all drug products that contain the ingredient pseudoephedrine must be kept behind the pharmacy counter and must be sold in limited quantities to consumers after they show identification and sign a logbook.

Pseudoephedrine is a drug found in both OTC and prescription products used to relieve nasal or sinus congestion caused by the common cold, sinusitis, hay fever, and other respiratory allergies. The drug is also a key ingredient in making methamphetamine--a powerful, highly addictive stimulant often produced illegally by "meth cooks" in home laboratories.

The new legal provisions for selling and purchasing pseudoephedrine-containing products are part of the Combat Methamphetamine Epidemic Act of 2005, which was incorporated into the Patriot Act. These "anti-meth" provisions introduce safeguards to make certain ingredients used in methamphetamine manufacturing more difficult to obtain in bulk and easier for law enforcement to track.

According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, methamphetamine use and abuse is associated with serious health conditions including memory loss, aggression, violence, paranoia, hallucinations, and potential heart and brain damage. The Drug Enforcement Administration says there is a direct relationship between methamphetamine abuse and increased incidents of domestic violence and child abuse.

Meth users ingest the substance by swallowing, inhaling, injecting, or smoking it. There are currently no safe and tested medications for treating methamphetamine addiction.

The new law affects several hundred OTC products for children and adults, such as Sudafed Nasal Decongestant Tablets, Advil Allergy Sinus Caplets, TheraFlu Daytime Severe Cold SoftGels, Tylenol Flu NightTime Gelcaps, and Children's Vicks NyQuil Cold/Cough Relief. "There are very few decongestants on the market that don't contain pseudoephedrine," says Charles Ganley, M.D., director of the Food and Drug Administration's Office of Nonprescription Products.

Ganley says that products containing pseudoephedrine are still available without a prescription and that they are packaged the same way as any OTC drug. "The only difference is that people will have to go to the pharmacist to buy them," he says. "They just need to ask for them and show ID, and know that there's a limit to the amount they can purchase."

Buyers must show a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver's license, and sign a logbook. Stores are required to keep a record about purchases, which includes the product name, quantity sold, name and address of purchaser, and date and time of the sale, for at least two years. Single-dose packages containing 60 milligrams or less of pseudoephedrine are excluded from the recordkeeping requirement, but must still be stored behind the counter.

The federal law limits the amount of pseudoephedrine an individual can purchase to 3.6 grams in a single day and 9 grams in a month at a retail store. For example, a person may buy Advil Allergy Sinus Caplets, which contain pseudoephedrine and other ingredients, in quantities of up to 146 tablets in one day and 366 tablets in one month. The number of pills or amount of liquid medicine allowable will vary depending on the type of product and its strength.

The limits on the amount an individual can purchase became effective April 8, 2006. The requirements to place products behind the counter and to keep a logbook take effect Sept. 30, 2006. Many drug stores are already complying voluntarily or because some state laws require similar controls.

Drug companies are reformulating some of their products to eliminate pseudoephedrine. Pfizer, for example, while still offering Sudafed nasal decongestants, which contain pseudoephedrine, also markets a line called Sudafed PE as an "on the shelf" alternative. Sudafed PE contains the active ingredient phenylephrine, which is not used to make methamphetamine, and so is not under the same restrictions as pseudoephedrine.

"Drugs that contain phenylephrine are also safe and effective," says Ganley. "The dosing is a little different--you have to take them a little more frequently than the pseudoephedrine-containing drugs because their effects are not as long-lasting."

The anti-meth provisions of the Patriot Act restrict the sale of two other drug ingredients, ephedrine and phenylpropanolamine, because of their potential to be used illegally to make methamphetamine. Like pseudoephedrine, drugs containing these ingredients must be placed behind the counter, and buyers must show identification to purchase a limited quantity.

Synthetic ephedrine is used in some topical drugs, such as nose drops, to temporarily relieve congestion due to colds, hay fever, sinusitis, or other upper respiratory allergies. It is also used orally for temporary relief of asthma symptoms.

Phenylpropanolamine was commonly used in OTC decongestants and weight-loss drugs. Today, it is unlikely that consumers will find phenylpropanolamine in their drug stores, says Ganley. In 2000, the FDA asked drug manufacturers to discontinue marketing products containing phenylpropanolamine because of an increased risk of bleeding in the brain (hemorrhagic stroke) associated with the ingredient. The FDA has taken regulatory actions to remove phenylpropanolamine from all drug products.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

yep... that's a huge problem up here.

a friend of mine last allergy season went to get some 'behind the counter' meds and at the register, the computer network went down at the store. After having stood in line for 40 minutes, frustrated, he went across the street to a different pharmacy and attempted to purchase the same thing. They wouldn't sell it to him, because of the computer flagging that he'd just purchased some across the street previously - though the transaction hadn't gone through because of the network issue.....

so he stands there trying to explain to the pharmacist what happened and while he's there attempting just to get some meds for his horrible allergies, the cops turn up to question him.

But - there's good reason for it. The meth problem around here is absolutely outta control.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
yep... that's a huge problem up here.

a friend of mine last allergy season went to get some 'behind the counter' meds and at the register, the computer network went down at the store. After having stood in line for 40 minutes, frustrated, he went across the street to a different pharmacy and attempted to purchase the same thing. They wouldn't sell it to him, because of the computer flagging that he'd just purchased some across the street previously - though the transaction hadn't gone through because of the network issue.....

so he stands there trying to explain to the pharmacist what happened and while he's there attempting just to get some meds for his horrible allergies, the cops turn up to question him.

But - there's good reason for it. The meth problem around here is absolutely outta control.
WOW! That's scary!! Your friend must of been really freaked out. I do remember some time ago that I did have to show ID and sign something, but haven't had to do it since. Maybe once you go through that, you don't have to do it again cause your in the system. But after what your friend went through, if the computer breaks down, I'll just quietly walk away and forget about it. Luckily, one purchase of zyrtec-d, and I'm good for a long time. It's just a backup to the nasal spray. John
Old 05-31-2016, 09:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh Owl that sucks. I get allergies every once in a while, kind of randomly. But nothing consistent. My daughter suffers so I feel for you. We have Cottonwood trees so just looking at all the fluff floating around depresses her.

You friend got questioned by the police? Wow. Wish they'd actually pay that close attention to the prescription drug issue
Old 05-31-2016, 09:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi FO, your case sounds pretty severe. If you are taking a combo of the medicines you described and it barely puts a dent in it, I would opt for shots if that's what it takes. No need to suffer unnecessarily.

I got extremely lucky, I had horrible allergies up until I was about 38 years old and then they disappeared. I have nothing now. Not even going to try and find out why, just going to count my blessings and accept it.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hope you're feeling better soon FreeOwl.

Nothing I take for allergies seems to work. I used to have local honey in hot water with lemon slices, that seemed to settle me down a bit.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

went to the gym, 25 minutes in the sauna really helped. Still feeling crap but at least I can breathe.

Gonna flush out the sinuses with a neti rinse and go back for another sauna this evening before bed to hopefully sleep better tonight.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

also.... did I mention I did ALL of this SOBER????

And that rocks.

You can too.

Each and every one of you.

EVEN ON CRAPPY DAYS WHEN YOU FEEL LIKE CRAP.....

Clean and Sober is Better.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:07 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
quat

Allergies suck, I luckily dont suffer them much , but the rest of the family does.
I started a little summer cold/flu thing right in the middle of a nice week off, trudged through , weird sweating in sun trimming trees with a little chill kicking around the back.
Sucks but WAY better sober !
Old 05-31-2016, 10:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

if it makes ya feel any better (or less crappy), i seem to be battling a mild yet nonetheless awful FLU??? this ain't no cold, and this ain't allergies.....UGH. husband got it first and it's really compromising his asthma, so we are just a big ole bottle o' fun right now. cold meds have zero effect........ibuprofen is about the only thing that helps. and just waiting for the Grim Reaper..........
Old 05-31-2016, 10:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

well that stinks, anvil!! I hope you're feeling better real soon!

Old 05-31-2016, 10:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

wasn't trying to one up ya on the illness spectrum.....but this is just NO FAIR....it's May for pete's sake. thanks for well wishes, you too!!!!!