Notices

First time here.

Old 05-30-2016, 09:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First time here.

Hello, this is my first time here after looking for help to quit drinking. Im 23 and used to drink socially during highschool and a few years after. only one or twice a month if even that, then my brother and best friend died in a car wreck just over 2 years ago and I fell deep. Im now at the point i drink a 12 pack and sometimes another 4 16oz more every night. today was my first day sober. Ive tried to quit a few times before, but the longest ive lasted was 13 days. I have an amazing job, wife, and a son who just turned 1 this month. Ive had anxiety and depression issues my whole life and drinking has made them worse, part of why Im just now reaching out. I want more than anything to put this past me and get healthy again so I can have a good long life with my family. Sorry for the wall of text but thats my back story, I look forward to going on this journey with all of you and get the support I need! Any suggestions to get started? Expecially with help sleeping and a racing heart. Im taking a multi vitamin, B supplement and milk thistle extract as of now. Im kind of going into this blind, my drinking has exausted my savings and I cant afford to go see a doctor for at least a few more weeks
Old 05-30-2016, 09:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Patch and I am pleased you reached out. More people will be along to welcome you and also give you guidance soon I am sure, I am in Australia so my timezone means it is day here, so I am awake while most are asleep - I just wanted to welcome you on this journey, that is challenging but is so worth it! you will get great support here.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thank you! I work graveyard shift so I'm backwards from most people too. This is just the beginning of my work day haha.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Drink plenty of nonalcoholic fluids, get regular exercise, eat healthy, get plenty of rest even if you don't sleep. Toddlers are awesome but very busy,huh?! Night shift can wreak havoc on your sleeping and contribute to depression so any chance you can get off night shift? Dogs raise serotonin levels so maybe get a dog ... Sunlight also raises serotonin levels

Good luck.... Most of all don't drink!!
Old 05-30-2016, 09:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you!;Oh yeah he definitely keeps us busy! I have 2 dogs and a cat right now that are tons of fun, even when they are being obstinate haha.

No luck on getting off graveyard unfortunately, only was I could would result in a 4+ dollar paycut. I work in manufacturing and am one of only 3 people in the plant that can run my machine, and both of them have 10+ years to retirement.

a workout and better eating schedule are in my plan, although I was thinking of waiting on the exercise for a week or two so that I can adjust through the withdrawals.

Sleep is definetly a big issue. Ive been up 14 hours at the point and have another 12 till I will be able to go to lay down. I normally give myself 6-8 hours for sleep, but I will extend that for my sleep to adjust and make up some rest for the tossing and turning.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You are so young. *I wish so much I had the good sense to recognize I had a problem before it messed up my life. *I finally have committed to the fact I have to get and stay sober. *I'm pushing 20 years of serious drinking, and on day 1. *I'm wishing that it doesn't take you as long as it took me to for me. *It sounds like you have started such a wonderful life. *Don't let the booze ruin it, and it will, it always does.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I see you just registered too Vegit, are you just starting down the road? We can help each other stay strong!

Honestly I would never take the step if it wasnt for my wife. She is who gave me the courage to post here in the first place.

I have a past of cancer and addiction in my family so I need to get healthy so I can beat my past, feel better about myself and give my son and future children the best life I can.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Children are wonderful motivator s😎
Old 05-30-2016, 10:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey patch, yes, I am new to this. I let it get to the point that I need to stop before I wind up in a situation I can't fix, which I so close, I know it's just a matter of time.

Good for your wife for having an open and honest coversation about her concerns, and good for you for being receptive.

I hear you about the sleep, it's driving me crazy, tossing and turning and never getting comfortable. Hopefully that will ease up shortly.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes they certainly are! The longest I was sober was after he was born actually. I lasted till I went back to work, stressful day, told my self one day would be ok, and well we all know how that goes.

Ive been getting close to that point too Vegit, I had to sell some stuff after his birthday party and presents to even make my house payment this month. but yet I spend 100 or more a week on beer to feel sick and shaky and weak all the time due to a constant hangover.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Patch. Welcome to the site. You know, I kind of realised that my drinking messed up lots of areas of my life when I decided to get sober, but it was only after I'd been sobriety for a while and the AA promises started to come true for me that I realised to what extent alcohol had made my life unmanageable. What you spend on alcohol will be an obvious big positive change, but also your capacity for problem solving and your improved health and positive thinking (alcohol is a depressant ) will stand you in good stead to be the partner and father you want to be.

I'd suggest finding out about AA meeting available in your area. It's completely free apart from a small donation in the pot towards running costs, and an invaluable source of support for me. Also, reading and posting on here often.

You may have heard of HALT triggers already, but just in case you haven't. .. the HALT triggers are common to all of us, and are always likely to affect output sobriety or the quality of it. HALT stands for Hunger-Anger-Lonely-Tired. Even now, if there are two of these in play for me, it really affects the quality of my sobriety, and how I perceive the world and myself. If you're making a plan, try to cover all those 4. How you can prevent them rearing their ugly heads, and emergency measures if they do.

Wishing you all the best for your recovery. BB
Old 05-30-2016, 11:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you for the advice BB! I heard about HALT while looking at posts on here before I registered. Ive looked into AA meetings here, the hard part is fitting them into my schedule, both meetings take place during the time Im asleep because of my schedule
Old 05-31-2016, 10:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am an hour away from finishing my 2nd day and onto my 3rd. today was a bit easier than the first, mainly because I was so exausted I was finally able to get a good night(well day for me) sleep. any help unassociating hobbys with drinking? I am a huge video gamer but I always drank A LOT when gaming. played some before work and the cravings ramped up.